View Quote

HK's fault
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 10:01:57 PM EDT
[#3]

Twas a good day, Dan.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 1:45:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Where did you find the Ral 8000 dust cover?
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 6:22:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TacticalR:
View Quote

RKS USA.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 6:44:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Augee:

RKS USA.  

~Augee
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TacticalR:

RKS USA.  

~Augee

Thanks Augee!
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 12:29:52 AM EDT
[#7]
hey Augee, having run through the MK18 and HK416 clones, and know an HK416 clone can be cost prohibitive, do you have a "30 seconds or less" answer on the pro's of a 416 clone? I only ask because I had a MK18 Mod 1 and Mod 0 and only have the mod 0 left. Its my favorite M4 variant and I'm always lusting over a 416 clone. Having had a titan defense clone upper... I go back and forth on an MR556 10.4 upper... your thoughts? Other than clone envy, is the capability really worth the 2k invested? Thanks as always, your input is always enlightening.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 1:27:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gopherboy128] [#8]
is the capability really worth the 2k invested?
View Quote

No. But style points count for something.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 9:43:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Gopherboy128:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Gopherboy128:
is the capability really worth the 2k invested? Thanks as always, your input is always enlightening.

ha, agreed
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 6:58:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By carmodyh:
View Quote

2K?  I'm into mine closer to $3.5k, and I haven't purchased optics yet.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 8:56:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: buddyhoohaw] [#11]
Originally Posted By eodinert:

View All Quotes

I assume he meant $2K for just an upper.  I absolutely love mine and it was a fun project to boot.

Cheers
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 9:53:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By buddyhoohaw:

I assume he meant $2K for just an upper.  I absolutely love mine and it was a fun project to boot.

<a href="http://s5.photobucket.com/user/buddyhoohaw/media/HK%20MR556A1/FullSizeRender%2046_zpsxdgjvz8k.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y198/buddyhoohaw/HK%20MR556A1/FullSizeRender%2046_zpsxdgjvz8k.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s5.photobucket.com/user/buddyhoohaw/media/HK%20MR556A1/FullSizeRender%2054_zpsg9mjhthg.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y198/buddyhoohaw/HK%20MR556A1/FullSizeRender%2054_zpsg9mjhthg.jpg</a>

Cheers
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By buddyhoohaw:

<a href="http://s5.photobucket.com/user/buddyhoohaw/media/HK%20MR556A1/FullSizeRender%2046_zpsxdgjvz8k.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y198/buddyhoohaw/HK%20MR556A1/FullSizeRender%2046_zpsxdgjvz8k.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s5.photobucket.com/user/buddyhoohaw/media/HK%20MR556A1/FullSizeRender%2054_zpsg9mjhthg.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y198/buddyhoohaw/HK%20MR556A1/FullSizeRender%2054_zpsg9mjhthg.jpg</a>

Cheers

yeah, for the upper is what I meant. Thanks for the pictures guys. My MK18 Mod 0, if you add all the parts up to include optics, lights, and laser, is somewhere in the 3.2-3.5k range, I wrote it down somewhere. I didn't get into guns  because it was a cheap hobby I suppose... ;)

Great looking HKs, guys, I'll continue to go back and forth, but might just spend the money toward upgrading the SCAR16 SBR... that project got pretty expensive pretty quick. On par with an MR556/HK416 clone I would think. Thanks again for the responses
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 3:52:30 PM EDT
[#13]
I am into my 10.4" MR556 upper about $2800, by the time you add the upper kit, 10.4 gas block, folding front sight, correct rear drum sight, having the barrel chopped, threaded, profiled, refinished, shipping both ways, and a suppressor mount.

Like I said, its cool and get you style points on the internet, but I cant say it's any different from doing a regular 10.5" piston upper build.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 5:36:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Stefan-DSO:

http://i64.tinypic.com/23t4jv7.jpg
View Quote

Brothers from a different mother? ;)

Link Posted: 8/20/2016 5:57:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 4:02:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Wamba2 inspired.

Link Posted: 8/23/2016 3:23:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 2:06:28 PM EDT
[#18]
My doge and I are having manly movie day. Couldn't pass on this photo op.

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:28:28 PM EDT
[#19]
My 416 clone....

cheers
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 4:12:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By AnthonyL:
http://i.imgur.com/vr96u84.jpg
View Quote

That picture cost me over two thousand dollars.....thanks.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 3:18:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Mblades:

View All Quotes

tell me about it... I have a form 4 pending so I can make my MPX into an MPX-K and MPX-SD... yet im still shopping around for MP5K clones, or god help me, HKs new SP5K...
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 8:00:00 PM EDT
[#22]

tell me about it... I have a form 4 pending so I can make my MPX into an MPX-K and MPX-SD... yet im still shopping around for MP5K clones, or god help me, HKs new SP5K...
View All Quotes

It's funny how quickly it happen.  I think it was Monday or Tuesday when the idea of a pistol caliber carbine started to take root, something for fun that is cheap to shoot.  Initially I was thinking of an AR, I knew Colt had a long history of 9mm AR carbines,  I could have saved money and built one but liked the idea of a factory fresh rifle and something that would hold it's value a little better.  

The price of a 9mm Colt at about $1500+/- made me think about what else was out there.  Initially I found the MPX and liked what it had to offer at about the same price, it was nice blend of an AR and a sub gun.  I also came across the CZ Scorpion and liked it for it's novelty factor being completely different than an AR and the price was good but I wanted something more than a basic blowback design seeing how I am going to be speeding the added time and money to SBR it.  It was then I realized it was an MP5 that I had always wanted so I decided to see what was out there.  By the time I found the B&T APC9 I had already made up my mind I wanted a HK pattern gun.

I came across the POF and then the MKE clones and really liked what the MKE had to offer and all the favorable reviews steered me in that direction.  I quickly found out about the SP5k and like many was a little off put by the initial price of $2700 in the press releases and wanted to see what they were actually going for.  When I saw that they were already selling for as low as $2250 and the MKE was going to be about $1650 the decision became tougher.  

Looking back at how long it's been since the SP89 was around I decided not to forgo the chance at an authentic HK,  I didn't shop too hard for the lowest price (some out of stock dealers have them listed for just over $2k) and will end up paying between $2300 and $2400 after shipping, transfer, background check, etc.  For another $1000 or so I can get it in proper PDW guise with the stock, stamp, paddle mag release, 3 lug barrel, hand guard, etc.

I'll have plenty of time to save for the conversion parts while the Form 1 is processing.  I don't currently have a 3-lug pistol suppressor so the normal MP5k barrel instead of the PDW barrel isn't a big deal, the paddle mag release isn't a big deal to me either and I don't need it done right away.  The rest of the expenses to turn it into a PDW would be the same with the MKE.

I'm sure I'll have fun shooting it just like AnthonyL has his setup in pistol form with the short handguard while I wait.  I'm going to order the B&T low Aimpoint mount too, I have a few MRDS so having both rail heights will be fun to experiment with.  I think the RMR or Docter would be a good fit for the SP5k but I seem to always go back to Aimpoint and I know a T1/T2 will work.

Link Posted: 9/7/2016 9:39:53 PM EDT
[#23]

It's funny how quickly it happen.  I think it was Monday or Tuesday when the idea of a pistol caliber carbine started to take root, something for fun that is cheap to shoot.  Initially I was thinking of an AR, I knew Colt had a long history of 9mm AR carbines,  I could have saved money and built one but liked the idea of a factory fresh rifle and something that would hold it's value a little better.  

The price of a 9mm Colt at about $1500+/- made me think about what else was out there.  Initially I found the MPX and liked what it had to offer at about the same price, it was nice blend of an AR and a sub gun.  I also came across the CZ Scorpion and liked it for it's novelty factor being completely different than an AR and the price was good but I wanted something more than a basic blowback design seeing how I am going to be speeding the added time and money to SBR it.  It was then I realized it was an MP5 that I had always wanted so I decided to see what was out there.  By the time I found the B&T APC9 I had already made up my mind I wanted a HK pattern gun.

I came across the POF and then the MKE clones and really liked what the MKE had to offer and all the favorable reviews steered me in that direction.  I quickly found out about the SP5k and like many was a little off put by the initial price of $2700 in the press releases and wanted to see what they were actually going for.  When I saw that they were already selling for as low as $2250 and the MKE was going to be about $1650 the decision became tougher.  

Looking back at how long it's been since the SP89 was around I decided not to forgo the chance at an authentic HK,  I didn't shop too hard for the lowest price (some out of stock dealers have them listed for just over $2k) and will end up paying between $2300 and $2400 after shipping, transfer, background check, etc.  For another $1000 or so I can get it in proper PDW guise with the stock, stamp, paddle mag release, 3 lug barrel, hand guard, etc.

I'll have plenty of time to save for the conversion parts while the Form 1 is processing.  I don't currently have a 3-lug pistol suppressor so the normal MP5k barrel instead of the PDW barrel isn't a big deal, the paddle mag release isn't a big deal to me either and I don't need it done right away.  The rest of the expenses to turn it into a PDW would be the same with the MKE.

I'm sure I'll have fun shooting it just like AnthonyL has his setup in pistol form with the short handguard while I wait.  I'm going to order the B&T low Aimpoint mount too, I have a few MRDS so having both rail heights will be fun to experiment with.  I think the RMR or Docter would be a good fit for the SP5k but I seem to always go back to Aimpoint and I know a T1/T2 will work.

View All Quotes

ha! thanks so much for sharing your journey on your way to your SBR... I find it ironic because much of what you say I processed myself. I started on the hunt for a pistol caliber carbine back in 2010, dead set on a AR platform due to cost and familiarity shooting ARs all the time. Had plenty of time to mull things over on deployment, actually finding a deal on a special weapons MP5 clone with a pinned fake suppressor over a 3 lug that I just couldn't pass up. several months later when I got back I submitted my form 1s and waited. long story less long, having SBRed the AR lower for 9mm use and having the MP5, I couldn't have been happier with the HK. the direct blow back ARs recoil I hated, and could never really fall in love with it

Once I replaced the extractor and ejector on my MP5 clone, it ran 100 percent. I don't think ive had a malfunction since. Took it out last weekend again to re-zero the eotech xps it wears with 147s and check the POA/POI shift with an AAC Evo and Griffin Revo-9 both wearing 3 lugs. The griffin really is great with the internal 3 lug cutting the length down, and it would be what I would recommend to you for the length and modularity to run in the K configuration. Honestly, I didn't like how loud it was in the K configuration, but all said and done, its one quiet package and a smooth shooter.

all that said, I still lust after an MP5K clone, but will look to the sig to fill that niche. Congrats again on your purchase. I know you are going to love it. Need to snap some pics of my MP5 clone.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 12:36:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Augee] [#24]
hey Augee, having run through the MK18 and HK416 clones, and know an HK416 clone can be cost prohibitive, do you have a "30 seconds or less" answer on the pro's of a 416 clone? I only ask because I had a MK18 Mod 1 and Mod 0 and only have the mod 0 left. Its my favorite M4 variant and I'm always lusting over a 416 clone. Having had a titan defense clone upper... I go back and forth on an MR556 10.4 upper... your thoughts? Other than clone envy, is the capability really worth the 2k invested? Thanks as always, your input is always enlightening.
View Quote

Sorry!  I must've missed this when you originally posted it.  

The "pro"s of having an HK416 clone... cool points?  

Honestly, the things I like best about it besides the cachet of what it is is the taller upper rail and the ability to use the Geissele HK416 SMR.

Besides that, it's finicky to suppress, everything for it is proprietary and expensive, FCG compatibility, plus, IMHO, in order to get an actual usable configuration out of it with an MR556 upper, you need to send it out at very least to get the barrel re-profiled, if not cut down and re-profiled, and after that, you're still left with an unlined barrel.

There are a lot of little things about the HK416-system that make it a good rifle.  Do those all add up to the cost increase for you and me over an M4A1?  My assessment in general would probably have to be "not unless you get a great deal."  

For me, I'd said many times that I'd never buy/build an HK416 clone because the performance did not justify the cost.  I ended up eating crow and building mine because I needed it as a technology demonstrator rifle related to a small business project, cryptic, I know, but the point is, I have an ulterior motive in building this rifle that's not related to performance.  Even so, I shopped, waited, and plotted to find just the right deal on a very lightly used MR556A1 upper--I don't want to give the exact details of the deal for fear that people might come after me with pitchforks... but I'm into my 10.4" upper with mods and Geissele rail for under MSRP on a new MR556A1 upper, and still, it's probably one of the most expensive projects I've worked on, and it's going to require a lot more work before I can stick a fork in it and call it done.  

Of course, part of that has been sourcing other parts for the build that are essentially unrelated to the fact that it's an HK416 clone, and just happen to be unobtanium parts (like tracking down a pre-2012 FA556-212 ) along with some other little things, but that's neither here nor there.  

With all that being said, at the end of the day... I'm really glad I built/am building this rifle, it's just a very, very cool little gun that I've gotten a lot of enjoyment out of beyond any the original reasons I had for starting this project.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 7:20:56 AM EDT
[#25]

Honestly, the things I like best about it besides the cachet of what it is is the taller upper rail and the ability to use the Geissele HK416 SMR.

Besides that, it's finicky to suppress, everything for it is proprietary and expensive, FCG compatibility, plus, IMHO, in order to get an actual usable configuration out of it with an MR556 upper, you need to send it out at very least to get the barrel re-profiled, if not cut down and re-profiled, and after that, you're still left with an unlined barrel.

There are a lot of little things about the HK416-system that make it a good rifle.  Do those all add up to the cost increase for you and me over an M4A1?  My assessment in general would probably have to be "not unless you get a great deal."  

For me, I'd said many times that I'd never buy/build an HK416 clone because the performance did not justify the cost.  I ended up eating crow and building mine because I needed it as a technology demonstrator rifle related to a small business project, cryptic, I know, but the point is, I have an ulterior motive in building this rifle that's not related to performance.  Even so, I shopped, waited, and plotted to find just the right deal on a very lightly used MR556A1 upper--I don't want to give the exact details of the deal for fear that people might come after me with pitchforks... but I'm into my 10.4" upper with mods and Geissele rail for under MSRP on a new MR556A1 upper, and still, it's probably one of the most expensive projects I've worked on, and it's going to require a lot more work before I can stick a fork in it and call it done.  

Of course, part of that has been sourcing other parts for the build that are essentially unrelated to the fact that it's an HK416 clone, and just happen to be unobtanium parts (like tracking down a pre-2012 FA556-212 ) along with some other little things, but that's neither here nor there.  

With all that being said, at the end of the day... I'm really glad I built/am building this rifle, it's just a very, very cool little gun that I've gotten a lot of enjoyment out of beyond any the original reasons I had for starting this project.  

~Augee
View All Quotes

~Augee

I had my MR556 barrel melonited after it was cut and re-profiled so one could argue that it has the best of both worlds being a match grade barrel with a superior lining to a standard chrome-lined
barrel.  It's definitely not a "cost-effective" build but name an hk that is?

cheers
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 9:51:16 AM EDT
[#26]
This used to be a picture thread.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 1:23:57 PM EDT
[#27]
" />
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 7:43:27 PM EDT
[#28]
View Quote

Bastard stole my rifle.

Link Posted: 9/14/2016 10:08:36 PM EDT
[#29]
End of this week or beginning of next I'll have a SP5K to add.  Until then it's just my P2000

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 8:33:10 AM EDT
[#30]
End of this week or beginning of next I'll have a SP5K to add.  Until then it's just my P2000

http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww232/Kyle_OA/ff585f33-d216-43ee-b092-4cecea00b07e_zpsgpykwin7.jpg
View Quote

I love second gen glock pistols... especially the 19.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 6:14:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ObsoleteMan] [#31]
Another attempt to reduce the noise to signal ratio in this thread... C93:

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 9:39:09 PM EDT
[#32]

Link Posted: 9/17/2016 4:41:05 PM EDT
[#33]
my newest, USP 45 tac (and new evo 45)  

Link Posted: 9/18/2016 10:56:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: carmodyh] [#34]

Rezero day with 147 grain pills. I think it likes 124 the best. Shot great. Old stick magazines still jam quite a bit. No hick ups at all otherwise. Also, don't see a whole lot of troy rails in this thread. I know a lot of people boycott troy due to the management, but I didn't want to hunt down a KAC rail and the troy allows me to mount an optic as well. I ran it in the classic HK light forend with irons for along time. This set up is much more functional. Sig mpx form 1 pending. We'll see if that retires the mp5. Will make the mp5 retro again if the sig does well. always loved rainbow six. Ding Chavez I think would approve.??
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 8:02:31 PM EDT
[#35]
New PTR GI

Link Posted: 9/19/2016 9:02:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Nice PTR! I have mine set up like your bottom pic. Where did you buy the collapsible stock? I want to pick one of those up along with some black furniture eventually.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 9:29:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By SGL_Shooter:
Nice PTR! I have mine set up like your bottom pic. Where did you buy the collapsible stock? I want to pick one of those up along with some black furniture eventually.
View Quote

Thanks!

Bought the collapsable stock at RTG Parts, Hkparts.net is a great site as well.

Cheers
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 11:01:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By RogerRoger:

Thanks!

Cheers
View All Quotes

Thanks!

Cheers

How do you like that collapsible stock? I heard its hella uncomfortable to shoot. I actually just picked up a PTR GI w/ rail and was debating on getting the folding choate stock. Thanks for sharing!
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 12:02:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RogerRoger] [#39]

How do you like that collapsible stock? I heard its hella uncomfortable to shoot. I actually just picked up a PTR GI w/ rail and was debating on getting the folding choate stock. Thanks for sharing!
View All Quotes

Thanks!

Cheers

Get the HK sliding stock. It's not unpleasnt to shoot at all, unless you have twigs for bones. The cheek weld on the sliding stock is not as good, but still very usable, the fit on these are so tight they feel welded on, great investment.

As long as you hold the gun tight in your shoulder the recoil is very manageable, and not NEAR as bad as most people online seems to think.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 2:52:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Newest addition!  Got a chance to put 150rds of 124gr Nato through it, smooth German roller locking goodness free of malfunctions.  About half was shot with the irons and half with the RMR, I'm going to try an Aimpoint on it next.

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:24:13 PM EDT
[#41]
One more without the rail.  I have the B&T low aimpoint mount for it too, unfortunately it won't work with the RMR I need a mount with only one cross bolt not two.  Ideally I'd like to track down a factory Docter mount and use one of the two I have collecting dust.

Link Posted: 10/2/2016 8:46:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 10:43:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lithgow303] [#43]
New PTR GI

*SNIP*

View Quote

thats hot, well played sir, well played.  

And, since its a photo thread, figured I'd add a few that lurk in my safe.

Link Posted: 10/9/2016 9:14:58 PM EDT
[#44]

Start of a new project.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 10:35:46 PM EDT
[#45]
View Quote

Looking forward to seeing this as with everything else you post.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 1:49:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JACV1979] [#46]
here are a few of my toys :

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 9:15:01 AM EDT
[#47]
First hk... finally get to post on this pic thread!
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 8:31:57 AM EDT
[#48]
MP5K 10mm SBR
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 6:24:13 PM EDT
[#49]
HK-93........killer dog n dirty basement !!! lol

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:41:55 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 52
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top