Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/13/2017 7:21:57 PM EDT
Have a parts kit I'm holding off on until I find a decent receiver for it.

In the meantime been looking around for other FALs. If I were going to look at the older DSA ones, which serial numbers should I avoid and which ones should I consider?
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 10:02:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Look for serial numbers that start with DS instead of DSA. Also, look for Grayslake instead of Lake Barrington on the side of the receiver which indicates LMT made the receiver for DSA.

That said, my DSA is a DS prefix with Lake Barrington on the side. It runs perfectly fine.

ETA- DS prefix receivers were forged and most of the DSA prefix receivers are cast.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 12:07:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Alright. What about DS41xxx or something like that? I remember reading that isn't really a great number, but I can't find much information anywhere other than that.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:34:37 PM EDT
[#3]
any of the ds prefix are good... some of the later ds prefix receivers threads were not exact to spec and require a shim not a big deal.  I'd rather have one that requires a shim then have to turn down the barrel shoulder.  I think it was 30k + but not 100% sure.  good luck!
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:41:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I ended up finding a DS prefix one. I'm picking it up tomorrow, gonna be one long wait inside a small gun shop.

Now I'm just waiting for a DS prefix receiver with CH to pop up somewhere during the semester (where I'll have money due to not having time to spend it). I guess if a shim is all I'd need, then hell it'll be worth it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 11:36:56 PM EDT
[#5]
http://www.gunbroker.com/Item/670847194
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 9:50:36 AM EDT
[#6]
All of my DSA produced FALs had serial numbers below DS32xxx.  I ordered the last of them (factory direct to my FFL) in 2007/2008.  They were forged (by LMT IIRC). I also had a few very early "Gray Lake" receivers that were forged.  I've had at least 13 different DSA FALs over the past 12+ years:

(2) SA58 Type 1 18"
(1) SA58 Type 1 21"
(1) SA58 Type 3 16"
(2) SA58 Para Type 1 16"
(4) SA58 Para Type 1 18"
(2) SA58 G1 Collectors
(1) STG58 Type 2 16" Ban Model with the Fake Stoll
I might be forgetting one.

I no longer own any DS Arms products.

My recommendation would be to purchase a Springfield Armory SAR-48.  They're factory produced (preban if that sort of thing matters to you) to real military standards.  DS Arms products are "luck of the draw".
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 9:57:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 9:59:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Another SAR-48 for sale

Don't confuse the SAR-48 with a SAR-4800.  The 4800 is a post ban gun that can be "debanned" but you're back to dubious quality US parts.  Spend the extra $400 and get a preban / original Imbel SAR-48.

I think they only imported less than 13,000 of these from Brazil so buy accordingly ....
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 3:43:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Item/670847194
View Quote
Unfortunately, while I have the cash for it now I can't buy it now. Gotta buy books for the semester (college sucks for the gun hobby). Might be able to get one this semester if I don't get a Hensoldt scope.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 6:49:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I've built three FALs from bare receivers within the last year- 1x Type 1 and 2x R1. Only one had any issues: an R1 had the locking shoulder dogleg hole a hair too small, and the ejector and top ejector block pin was missing. DSA took care of that, to include installing the barrel  and a new locking shoulder, all on their dime. As for older receivers, build on whatever you can find that fits your criteria- price and type.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top