Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2016 10:40:52 AM EDT
Gotta admit I have not done a bunch of reading up on FAL mags... Hoping someone can point me towards a source with good/reliable mags at a good price. Appreciate any help.

-T
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 3:38:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Join and keep an eye out in the Marketplace on the FAL Files.  That's really your best bet.  If you want the best deals you need to be really vigilant, because they go fast.  Every now and again someone will sell them well below market rate.

Avoid DSA mags.  They suck.  Same with the Korean ones.  Surplus and Moses mags only, although supposedly DSA's 30-rounders work alright as well.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 7:05:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Bigstick. Any surplus?

-T
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 11:28:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks Bigstick. Any surplus?

-T
View Quote

What do you mean?
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 5:44:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I came here to post same question.  I wanted to get some FAL mags pre election -

I've got a stash of surplus mags, but wanted to get more.  What is the consensus of Thermold or the latest Krean mags?

My Korean M14, Glock and Maritime AR  mags work great - not sure about FAL mags though.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 6:55:39 AM EDT
[#5]
The consensus is that the Korean mags suck. I've seen mixed reviews on the Thermolds, but they are not the only game in town for polymer mags anymore; the Moses mags are decidedly superior.

The only surplus mag that I ever had a problem with was a Rhodie surplus inch mag converted to metric. I've used Israeli, Steyr, Belgian steel and hiduminium, IMBEL, and South African mags without issue.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 4:24:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I meant: Any surplus available or are there specific surplus to get or to stay away from?

Are there some specific retailers to look at?
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 7:41:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I meant: Any surplus available or are there specific surplus to get or to stay away from?

Are there some specific retailers to look at?
View Quote

Any surplus in serviceable condition is GTG.  Don't know about retailers.  I've always bought from the FAL Files marketplace or FTF.  Retailers are likely to be on the high side of the price range based on the times I came across mags for sale looking for other parts.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 9:20:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Moses mags seem very good...but I only have 2 ...they are a bit pricy but compared to Walther mags cheep..lol
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 12:24:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 9:15:15 PM EDT
[#10]
The days of cheap FAL mags are gone. $5 each was the going price. I bought a box of 10 NIB for $120 and thought that was to much at the time.

Seems the going rate now is about $10 each
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 7:18:36 AM EDT
[#11]
This:

Quoted:
Join and keep an eye out in the Marketplace on the FAL Files.  That's really your best bet.  If you want the best deals you need to be really vigilant, because they go fast.  Every now and again someone will sell them well below market rate.

Avoid DSA mags.  They suck.  Same with the Korean ones.  Surplus and Moses mags only, although supposedly DSA's 30-rounders work alright as well.
View Quote

$20 - $25 each + shipping is the current norm. If you find anything in good condition for less you had better jump on it quick.

You can also post WTB ads. If you're fortunate, you may get someone who is willing to sell for less than the prices listed above, however, my experience has been is that you get guys wanting to sell for $25+ each + shipping. Also, watch your state firearms forum if you have one?

Lastly, something to consider, a $20 - $25 mag could be considered a good buy in the near future... may want to take care of your current needs and then plus up as you're able.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 11:47:16 AM EDT
[#12]
I just posted a lot of 9 mil surplus mags on EE.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 3:22:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Just Google Moses Mags, he is making new polymer mags for the FAL.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 5:11:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The days of cheap FAL mags are gone. $5 each was the going price. I bought a box of 10 NIB for $120 and thought that was to much at the time.

Seems the going rate now is about $10 each
View Quote

Cheapest they  ever were  was $3 from DSA. i should have bought more. i did buy a bunch of HK 91 mags when they were a $1 each even though i don't even own one . oh how i miss the good ole days
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:30:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:19:04 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm not finding any surplus mags for 20-25. Anyone have a link?
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:48:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm not finding any surplus mags for 20-25. Anyone have a link?
View Quote

FAL Files Marketplace. You need an account there. They pop up at least once a month, sometimes even for less than $20.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 10:16:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

The last time I tried the DSA 30 rd magazines they didn't function very well. All of mine were single shot magazines. I was using them in a KelTec RFB, so maybe that was the problem, but, I don't think so. My surplus FN FAL metric magazines were good to go in that RFB. The last time I looked for surplus FN FAL (actual FHN magazines) they were a lot harder to find and were at least $20. That was 5-6 years ago.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 11:55:12 PM EDT
[#19]
I bought 5 of the Korean ones to try out. They work in my 2 FALs.  Others haven't been so lucky. I bought 40 or so over 3 years at Knob Creek years ago for $2 each that needed reparkerizing. I refinished them at work.
I bought 5 of the Moses mags. They work great. May get a few more to save wear and tear on my surplus mags.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top