Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2016 10:32:53 AM EDT
Also posted this on the FAL Files...... I went to a local gunsmith here in Plano Texas to get my STG 58 a little more to my liking (I wanted a more Belgian-looking metric to go along with my L1A1). I had just made a ridiculously in my favour trade to acquire it as detailed in a thread from a week or so ago...

I had already replaced the hand guards and ordered a Belgian Flash Hider from DSarms. But the STG 58 Flash Hider just would not come off for me.

Turns out that after the Gunsmith heated the Stoll Flash Hider, a river of Loctite poured out. Then it became apparent - No threads, the bloody thing had been glued on!

Now I need the barrel threaded!

Everything else looks champion on the rifle, but the first test fire on the rifle will be from a sand bag, left handed!
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 1:19:49 PM EDT
[#1]
whoever had it bought it during the ban, when the ban ended he glued on a flash hider on the naked barrel.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 8:14:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I had one just like this that I purchased.  They had a muzzle break on it and I wanted an STG Stroll for it.  It took a while but realized it was placed on in a similar way.  Got is off and had the crown redone and it threaded.  It turned out to be a great rifle.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 10:29:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had one just like this that I purchased.  They had a muzzle break on it and I wanted an STG Stroll for it.  It took a while but realized it was placed on in a similar way.  Got is off and had the crown redone and it threaded.  It turned out to be a great rifle.  Good luck.
View Quote

Thank you! I think I found the guy to do it, it was a frustrating series of calls and e-mails. Can't believe that in the huge DFW area that this would be so hard to do. One place even said they would have to inspect the rifle for 922R compliance before they would touch it (it's freakin' a Century build)!

Will post pics on Monday if it all goes well.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 11:07:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Thank you! I think I found the guy to do it, it was a frustrating series of calls and e-mails. Can't believe that in the huge DFW area that this would be so hard to do. One place even said they would have to inspect the rifle for 922R compliance before they would touch it (it's freakin' a Century build)!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, we have a shortage of good gunsmiths in the DFW area. Adco should be able to do it.

V
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 12:25:27 PM EDT
[#5]

I think out of the 15 years we have been running the FAL match we have had 4 improperly affixed muzzle devices go downrange.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 5:34:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I ended up discovering a wonderful craftsman, Morgan Richey a 07/02  FFL/SOT Class 3 Manufacturer and  owner of  Class 3 Machining Company in Rowlett.

He did an awesome job and turned it around quickly!

Check him out -

http://class3machining.com/

https://www.facebook.com/barrelthreading
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 9:16:27 AM EDT
[#7]
That feels like a facepalm moment.

Link Posted: 11/10/2016 12:04:24 PM EDT
[#8]
You're not alone. I wanted to set up my 16" for a suppressor, so needed to remove the FH that was on it to replace it with a suppressor-ready FH. I kept researching thread direction for my type of barrel and FH as I couldn't break it free. I finally said screw it and started loading it up in torque in each direction, slowing increasing torque as I changed directions so I wouldn't overcrank it the wrong way. Figured if I couldn't break it free with the hand tools I was using, then cutting it off was the next step.

Imagine my surprise when I BROKE the FH in half - and a collar remained around the barrel where it was finally apparent that it had been "glued" on with high strength Loctite of some sort. Grain structure made it appear like a cast FH made to look like one of the factory threaded FHs - I wasn't torqueing THAT hard on it (I don't think ).

I'm of the thought that someone had modded it via the cheap route for making a shorter barrel from a full-sized barrel (the crown was really ugly and looked like a hacksaw had been taken to it).

It turned out fine as I had the muzzle threaded and crowned (and still remained over 16") and it ended up shooting surprisingly accurately for an FAL.
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 12:10:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I ended up discovering a wonderful craftsman, Morgan Richey a 07/02  FFL/SOT Class 3 Manufacturer and  owner of  Class 3 Machining Company in Rowlett.

He did an awesome job and turned it around quickly!

Check him out -

http://class3machining.com/

https://www.facebook.com/barrelthreading
View Quote

this is who I would recommend.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 3:41:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Some would say I'm a jerk, I would say I'm principled, but I wouldn't do business with someone who takes 922r that seriously.  It sounds like the kind of person looking for new ways to cause/get people in trouble.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 6:02:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Some would say I'm a jerk, I would say I'm principled, but I wouldn't do business with someone who takes 922r that seriously.  It sounds like the kind of person looking for new ways to cause/get people in trouble.
View Quote

I didn't. It's akin to a mechanic who won't work on a motor car without performing a state emissions inspection first. Obviously calls into question their logic and critical thinking skills and consequently their level of competency.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 10:48:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
whoever had it bought it during the ban, when the ban ended he glued on a flash hider on the naked barrel.
View Quote

That's what I did about 18 years ago.  Hasn't fallen off yet.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 4:21:47 AM EDT
[#13]
back in the day, finding someone to properly thread a barrel was near impossible.   I might of half asseed something similar, but it was a slant brake on a AK.  I think I press fit it on a naked barel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top