Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2016 8:49:24 PM EDT
I recently ordered a DSA Voyager 21" barrel.  It is extremely difficult to find a standard stocked 18" lately so it is going directly to my smith for a cut, thread, and to have the gas port opened.  Additionally I ordered a DSA railed top over and 5 additional mags.  I have a Vortex Razor Gen2 1-6 that is waiting for this rifle to be complete.   My questions are these:

1. Can anyone recommend a good factory defensive load for this rifle? First hand experience in function and accuracy?

2. What pitfalls or learning curve should I expect?  I am experienced in ARs and bolt guns.

3. What gas setting should I start with?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 9:01:53 PM EDT
[#1]
for the gas setting go 2-3 clicks more than what it takes to lock the bolt back on an empty mag
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 9:11:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I recently ordered a DSA Voyager 21" barrel.  It is extremely difficult to find a standard stocked 18" lately so it is going directly to my smith for a cut, thread, and to have the gas port opened.  Additionally I ordered a DSA railed top over and 5 additional mags.  I have a Vortex Razor Gen2 1-6 that is waiting for this rifle to be complete.   My questions are these:

1. Can anyone recommend a good factory defensive load for this rifle? First hand experience in function and accuracy?

2. What pitfalls or learning curve should I expect?  I am experienced in ARs and bolt guns.

3. What gas setting should I start with?

Thanks!
View Quote

1. Mine is an 18" STG, really a range toy so I've never run anything other than the S African ball I bought a bunch of when it was cheap.

2.  No issues were had by me with my first and only FAL. It just runs and is accurate enough, but not as accurate as an AR.

3. Are you really sure the gas port needs opened? Mine will throw cases 25 ft if I open the adj all the way, and not cycle if I close it.   I would start at a setting of three.
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 9:24:33 AM EDT
[#3]
You shouldn't need to mess with the gas port.
I can shoot a baseball sized group with my Izzy HB at 100yrds with iron sights.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 7:48:32 AM EDT
[#4]
1) Whatever works for your budget and the rifle. Buy a box each of a few different quality loads and see which one works the best.

2) FALs are pretty straightforward and trouble-free. Learn how the mechanism works and spend a lot of time getting comfortable with it.

3) There is no universal gas setting, so you will need to find out which one works the best with that rifle and whatever ammo your choose to put through it.

An 18" barrel should be fine without having to mess with the gas port. A 16" will almost always need to have it opened.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 9:32:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Don't cut the barrel! And if you do send it to a expert with the fal system . Mark T Grahm Arizona response system in Arizona do a google search. That man has assembled or rebuilt over 3k fal rifles alone . He recently rebuilt this for me. I'm very happy!

At the range

100 yard target 20 rounds ZQI 7.62

Link Posted: 4/3/2016 12:54:52 PM EDT
[#6]
It should show up tomorrow or Tuesday. I will have more info then!
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 6:25:09 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't think you should mess with the gas port, there is a good chance it will be over gassed if opened up.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 6:28:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Also, I would not let anyone touch your FAL except Mark Graham or DSA themselves.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 12:14:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm pretty confident in this smith. He's done a lot of work for me.  It's not that expensive of a platform so I think a simple cut/thread is well within his well house.  If the gas port needs some attention I will consider other gunsmiths.  

Thanks for the input! I've got some ammo waiting and I will post range results.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 7:01:28 PM EDT
[#10]
A quick pic with the scope mounted.  It's going to stay 21" over the weekend for a couple hundred round breakin.  If no factory issues arise it will be off for a cut next week.  " />
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 9:39:02 AM EDT
[#11]
" />
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 9:31:26 AM EDT
[#12]
With a scope on a good FAL like a DSA, you should be able to achieve consistent 2" -3"groups @100 yds.  These rifles are fun to shoot and "battle rifle accurate".  I like the rifle as they are reliable and user friendly, but they weigh a hefty10 lbs loaded and scoped. I guess that the armed forces that used these rifles didn't march too far with them.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 6:00:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
With a scope on a good FAL like a DSA, you should be able to achieve consistent 2" -3"groups @100 yds.  These rifles are fun to shoot and "battle rifle accurate".  I like the rifle as they are reliable and user friendly, but they weigh a hefty10 lbs loaded and scoped. I guess that the armed forces that used these rifles didn't march too far with them.
View Quote

You could not be more mistaken.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 4:50:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

35lbs of gear and gun...7 miles.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 5:55:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Rock on, Stimp, rock on.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top