Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2016 1:39:22 AM EDT
So the only thing i could find was one that a guy on falfiles sold. And his supplies are gone. What is up with that? The mag release works but dam it could be alot better. Then i looked for a bolt release and guess thats to AR like. Any helpful input form u fal guys besides just use it how it came.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 8:26:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So the only thing i could find was one that a guy on falfiles sold. And his supplies are gone. What is up with that? The mag release works but dam it could be alot better. Then i looked for a bolt release and guess thats to AR like. Any helpful input form u fal guys besides just use it how it came.
View Quote

How many do you need?
They aren't cheap.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 3:04:56 PM EDT
[#2]
You need a Holland mag catch or an L1A1 catch, spring and screw.
I don't know of anyone selling Holland catches, but you should be able to find the L1A1 setup.
Mark Graham of Arizona Response Systems lists a v. nice Holland-type catch on his website, but out of stock. SloCat on FALfiles was making some Holland-type catches, and Hebrew Battle Rifle welded up a big ol' ambidextrous paddle somewhat similar to the extended AK mag catches you see.

I tried the Holland catch years ago and didn't like it. The paddle is definitely bigger, but the reach to push it is still the same, and I have short fingers. The L1A1 catch allows you to use your thumb or left hand to change mags. The only caveat is that a big foot BHO might interfere, but nothing a little Dremel work can't cure.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 6:02:56 PM EDT
[#3]

The magazine release on FALs do somewhat suck IMHO being new to the platform.

I also somewhat looked for an extended latch but couldn't find anything readily or easily available.

After sitting down and looking at the design to try and find the best way to change mags I came up with this.

What I do is when I hit bolt hold open. I grab a spare mag. I bring the fresh mag up, hit the catch with my support thumb, I now can either hit the mag out with my left forearm or the magazine at this point.

I think its "fast" enough. However it will never touch how fast I can reload a AR.

There are a few reloads in this video I shot the other day for reference.

I am a complete novice to the FAL design, so if someone else can show me a better way to do it on a standard mag latch Im all ears

ETA the L1A1 latch would make life a lot simpler after looking at one. Ill keep this in mind
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 7:03:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 8:43:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The magazine release on FALs do somewhat suck IMHO being new to the platform.

I also somewhat looked for an extended latch but couldn't find anything readily or easily available.

After sitting down and looking at the design to try and find the best way to change mags I came up with this.

What I do is when I hit bolt hold open. I grab a spare mag. I bring the fresh mag up, hit the catch with my support thumb, I now can either hit the mag out with my left forearm or the magazine at this point.

I think its "fast" enough. However it will never touch how fast I can reload a AR.

There are a few reloads in this video I shot the other day for reference.

I am a complete novice to the FAL design, so if someone else can show me a better way to do it on a standard mag latch Im all ears

https://youtu.be/w094MTFZs94

ETA the L1A1 latch would make life a lot simpler after looking at one. Ill keep this in mind
View Quote

I just press the release with my trigger finger.  I then grab the old magazine (if it hasn't dropped out on its own) and insert the new one with the same hand, or I just use the new one to push the old one out and put the new one in if I have to be especially fast, and then slap the charging handle back.  Easy and can be done very quickly using the latter method.  I actually like the action of pushing forward better than pushing to the side (like on an AR).  Even better if you have an Israeli release, as unlike the Dutch or FSE type releases, it extends the release rearwards towards your trigger finger.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 10:01:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Check ernst armory. They have a couple of different styles.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 8:19:50 AM EDT
[#7]
I put L1A1 mag releases on all my Fals, much more practical and drop in fit, if you get a used one you may want to Cerama-coat or Gunkote it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 7:28:25 PM EDT
[#8]

I modified one to suit me.

It's not ambi, but worked for me

I turned, and you can't see the edge, but it's knurled

Milled a flat to match the lever and tig welded them together
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top