Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2015 10:01:40 AM EDT
There is a Groupbuy being organized over at falfiles for NOS Imbel receivers for $425

I currently have a Coonan receiver($329). This is my first FAL and I'm going for a16in with ACR folding stock. Should I stick with the Coonan or get a Imbel?
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 10:35:52 AM EDT
[#1]
What kit and coonan?

Both are fine receivers.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 10:42:04 AM EDT
[#2]
All DSA parts. Just waiting on the front end.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 2:33:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I have 2 built on Coonan, Para STG58 and a G1, both fine shooters, don't remember have any problems at all with the build, maybe the locking shoulder fit but they're never easy.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 3:49:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I won't be building it myself. Sending it off to Arizona Response Systems. Maybe I'll do the American thing and get both. I kind of want a classic FAL as well.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 10:56:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

If you're going frankenbuild, then spending the extra dough on a NOS Imbel doesn't make sense imho. Build it on a coonan.

Then get that Imbel receiver and build A matching Imbel kit on it.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 11:11:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If you're going frankenbuild, then spending the extra dough on a NOS Imbel doesn't make sense imho. Build it on a coonan.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 11:25:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

That's what I'm thinking. I'll get the Imbel and build a correct FAL and the Coonan can got on my tacticool fal
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 12:20:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Do you want the gear logo.  Personally I think it's kinda cool
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 1:35:56 AM EDT
[#9]
I know nothing about them except they are factory Imbels. Iv never seen the logo.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 2:13:37 AM EDT
[#10]
http://www.google.com/search?q=imbel+gear+logo+receiver&biw=640&bih=122&prmd=isvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj85IqjvIrKAhXFmR4KHdJ8AIUQ_AUIBigB#imgrc=bAwbTQpnq2DXRM%3A
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 8:10:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Doesn't do much for me but I think a full Imbel build would be nice.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 9:32:08 AM EDT
[#12]
I own both.  Imbel all the way.  Imbel forged milspec while Coonan is cast with a silly gap at front where bolt closes.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 8:06:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Coonan makes a quality receiver. I've had multiple Coonan, Imbel and one Entreprise Buena Park. They were all fine. The Imbel GL is a very sweet receiver though.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 1:13:19 AM EDT
[#14]
I put my hat in the ring for 1 of the Imbels. They are looking for 100 receivers for the group buy.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 11:16:23 PM EDT
[#15]
If you're asking straight up which to buy, Imbel every time. But like others have said, if cost is an issue to you, Coonan makes a great receiver. I've built on quite a few and never had a problem.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 10:13:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I own both.  Imbel all the way.  Imbel forged milspec while Coonan is cast with a silly gap at front where bolt closes.
View Quote

I could be off here but I thought the later Imbels were cast, same with the Belgian type 3's.  It's been awhile since I stuck my nose in the fal specs.  Maybe it was just the Belgian type 3's.

ETA

I was wrong...again.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 10:02:33 AM EDT
[#17]
I've built , and participated in the past in builds with Imbel, Enterprise, Coonan, DSA , Unibrow Century receivers.  this is what I've either experienced or witnessed personally.

Timing issues:

3 DSA receivers so bad they had to be shaved as they timed at around 9:00 that's 3 out of 3 DSA builds!  100% fail on builds I did .( they had to be re-machined and threads chased to finally work)

1 Imbel non gear logo that timed at 11:00 that but was extremely tight, I finally timed it TDC with a breaker bar on the receiver wrench after much effort. ( built 3 Inbel, and witnessed / participated in builds of another 10 or so.)

Non issues:

Enterprise- 4 rifles built with a friend on them with no problems.

Coonan - built my first G1 on a type 1 Coonan with no issues at all and one of the most accurate FAL rifles I've ever shot.

Minor issues:

Unibrow Century- participated in a build of 4 of these and witnessed several other home built ones . Most ran fine, issues included minor timing, operating rod hole issues that were fixed by opening p the hole slightly, and 1 failure to go into battery due to excess material that was easily fixed with removal of a high spot .

IF I ever could build one again I'd use Coonan, Imbel or Enterprise with confidence.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top