BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2015 11:13:12 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 11:51:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hey guys,

I am looking for the paint codes for the Rhodesian baby poo paint. I used to have the old Fal files thread but I lost it. I asked over there but havent gotten any hits.

Also, Did the Rhodesians remove the sling swivels? I know they clipped the carry handles. Just trying to make this rifle as authentic as possible. Thanks
View Quote

Do a search.  NHBandit is the one who put the paint codes up.  I think it may actually by in the stickied Rhodesian thread on the FN Files section in one of the first few pages.  I'm not sure if DuPont Centari is still available, though.  SaigamanTX sells bottles of paint  in the FAL Files Marketplace that is close in colour, but it is a less durable type.

Not all carry handles were clipped.  A RhSAS folding-butt rifle in private hands still has its carry handle.  Some swivels were removed, some weren't.  Heck, some rifles still had slings on them, too.  Rhodesian stuff was a real mixed bag.  If you have a parts kit that is all-Rhodesian and has the swivels or carry handle then just leave them be; if not, just don't bother to replace them.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 12:32:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hey guys,

I am looking for the paint codes for the Rhodesian baby poo paint. I used to have the old Fal files thread but I lost it. I asked over there but havent gotten any hits.

Also, Did the Rhodesians remove the sling swivels? I know they clipped the carry handles. Just trying to make this rifle as authentic as possible. Thanks
View Quote

If you still need them IM me your email address. I have several screenshots of data including paint codes. Can't upload as my computer is still boxed up from moving.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:05:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 7:38:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I dont know the paint codes but I did serve in the Rhodesia Regiment.  Carry handles and sling swivels were clipped or not on a unit basis. Many were intact.  The RLI generally had theirs clipped. Weapons were generally painted by brush on the ground by motorpool troops (there was no spray paint in the country that I know of). None looked "professionally done". By regulation, the bolt carrier, trigger, flash hider and sights were not painted. Also the FAL was not the only infantry rifle used..many G3s were in service also, painted similarly.  The colours were roughly a medium to dark green and a more mustard yellow.  If you want an idea of the green colour, look at the colour Land Rovers and Bedfords were painted..it was the same paint.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 9:40:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 5:50:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I copied the codes down a few years back. I believe that many members making Rhody clones used the same recipe.. The codes originally posted by NHBandit on the FALFiles were the following:
Dupont Centari Automative Paint
Dark Forest Green: DS166A
Mustard Yellow: YS432A

I had a few pints mixed at a local auto parts store using DuPont Centari paint.  I was told that this stuff is very bad if you are spraying without the proper mask and protection.  I told them I was just brushing it on and they said to still make sure the space was properly ventilated and done preferably in an open area.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 6:25:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I copied the codes down a few years back. I believe that many members making Rhody clones used the same recipe.. The codes originally posted by NHBandit on the FALFiles were the following:

I had a few pints mixed at a local auto parts store using DuPont Centari paint.  I was told that this stuff is very bad if you are spraying without the proper mask and protection.  I told them I was just brushing it on and they said to still make sure the space was properly ventilated and done preferably in an open area.

Good luck.
View Quote

Is this paint still available?
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 8:43:23 PM EDT
[#8]
http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=388215
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 9:50:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck.

I believe Centari was discontinued several years ago related to the content of isocyanalates.  I had my batches made around 2010. Like I said above it is bad stuff. The color codes are what the original O/P was looking for.  I would think a competent paint department can match the colors in a much safer media
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 10:59:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 2:48:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 3:39:10 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Paint came in the mail and so did my locking shoulder. Hopefully I can get it painted in the next few days....

View Quote
Tag for pics!!
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 9:09:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 9:56:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Damn nice job.  I want one some day
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 10:32:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 12:43:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I believe Centari was discontinued several years ago related to the content of isocyanalates.  I had my batches made around 2010. Like I said above it is bad stuff. The color codes are what the original O/P was looking for.  I would think a competent paint department can match the colors in a much safer media
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck.

What kind of paint would the Rhodesians likely have used on aircraft and automobiles in the 1970s?  Whatever that is is what they used to paint their small arms and crew-served weapons.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 2:21:03 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a few of the South African FAL's.
Some didn't have any paint on them .
Some only had 1 color paint.
Some have 2 color paint.
The later one have a 3 color paint.

Some still had a lot of paint on them and some only a small amount still left on them.

I gathered up the different hand guards or stock and went to Lowes.
The lady there mixed me some in the sample bottles.
It took her 3 tries on the first one and the next two she got it first time.
I had it mixed in the best outside house paint they had.
It has been on the rifles for over 10 years now.
The key is to put in on with a rag, ( I know some say a paint brush), but the rag works best for me and to me I think that is what they really used.
I let it dry good for several days, then got some of the gloves with ruff sandpaper like and rubbed where you would normally hold the rifle to remove some of the paint.
Some of the barrels were painted and some not.
Remember that the rifles were used over and over by different countries. So most anything goes.
Some kept them painted up and others did nothing to the paint, it just wore off.
I got some with the carry handle intack and some without it.
Some had sling attachment and some did not.

Ron
If I can dig out some examples I will post some pictures.
Here they are:
these were built on all matching numbers kit. They are built on Imbel gear logo receivers.
Some are ZA, RA marked.

Note: There are some 922r parts on them.

Link Posted: 1/23/2016 5:59:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Are the top two pics rifles with original camo?
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 8:28:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Are the top two pics rifles with original camo?
View Quote

Most of my kits were like the bottom picture.
I left the paint on them and added new paint with it on the two top pictures ones.
The paint color matches the original paint really well.
Before I get through with them I will remove a little more of the paint where it would have been worn off in use.

The picture of the one on the bottom one was left that way.

The one in the middle didn't have paint on it and was left it that way.

I have several more FAL kits that someday I will do them.

Now I am working on some Retro AR's.

Ron
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 3:09:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Here's a question for the hive...

I have two friends who were Rhodesian African Rifle officers.

They did not paint their own rifles, their men did it for them.

Both have mentioned "mutti" marks.

Has anyone seen these and have a picture?
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 7:44:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top