Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2015 9:18:34 AM EDT
Howdy I'm normally an M14/AR15 guy but over the years I've flirted with getting into the world of the FAL, I've decided I want to build one and I'm wondering what receiver I should go with? What research I've done makes me want a type 2 metric receiver. Does anybody still make a forged or does it matter? I can't afford to shoot out barrels on them but I'd like to have a quality rifle that will last. I've looked at DSA and Coonan. I've heard mostly negative things about Enterprise. What would yall go with? Why are "G1" receivers so much more expensive? I see DSA drop forges those is that why?

I'd like to build a new production 18" BBL with the "stoll" hider and newer style Belgian furniture and bipod. I'd also like to build a HB Israeli FAL from a parts kit. Which receiver would suit these?

Does anybody make timing rods or is "thread all" the best way to time a barrel? Are there better methods without spending a ton on tools?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:04:19 AM EDT
[#1]
DSxxxxx marked as opposed to DSAxxxxx are more desireable.
If you can stand the gap the Coonan reciever has at the breach, Coonan makes a good receiver.
Entreprise has some good receiver but unless you know which are in spec, pass on them for me unless it is Buena Vista marked IIRC and i think they were mostly Inch cut. I have a metric cut Entreprise and some mags fall out when firing the gun.

Do a lot of research before buying anything.
You'll really need a receiver wrench, someway to hold the barrel, HS guages, and pin guages to check for correct size locking shoulder.

All your info can be found on the FALFILES.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:23:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
DSxxxxx marked as opposed to DSAxxxxx are more desireable.
If you can stand the gap the Coonan reciever has at the breach, Coonan makes a good receiver.
Entreprise has some good receiver but unless you know which are in spec, pass on them for me unless it is Buena Vista marked IIRC and i think they were mostly Inch cut. I have a metric cut Entreprise and some mags fall out when firing the gun.

Do a lot of research before buying anything.
You'll really need a receiver wrench, someway to hold the barrel, HS guages, and pin guages to check for correct size locking shoulder.

All your info can be found on the FALFILES.
View Quote

Tell me more about this gap in the breach?

Does FALtools.com still sell the receiver/barrel vise?

Any brand of HS/pin gauge better than the other?

Also wondered what height of sight to buy I see a bunch of different ones?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:44:16 PM EDT
[#3]
The gap is aesthetic.  It has to do with how Coonan machines the receivers; apparently their method is easier.  I didn't even notice on mine until it was pointed out.  The Coonans are good (they are cast), but they do lack sand cuts and a couple of minor lightening cuts.  On the plus side, they have been open to custom markings on the left side and will do custom serial numbers.

The "G1" receivers have custom markings.  I assume that's part of why they cost more.

If you can find a NOS Type 1 or Type 1.5 forged DSA, that should also be fine (and a few ounces lighter than the Type 2 in the case of the Type 1; marginal difference for the Type 1.5).  People do have forged receivers for sale by themselves from time to time.

IMBEL and FMAP receivers are also sold on their own sometimes, but they carry a premium, coming from licenced FAL manufacturers.  I've only ever heard of Type 3s being imported, though.

For a current-production Type 3, I'd go with Coonan.  If I wanted custom serial numbers, I'd probably go with Coonan (DSA generally won't do them).  If I wanted more accurately cut Type 1s, Type 1.5s, or Type 2s, I'd go with DSA, cast or forged.  If I wanted forged, I'd either get a NOS DSA or wait to see if DSA goes through with a short run of forged they might do in the near future.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:53:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The gap is aesthetic.  It has to do with how Coonan machines the receivers; apparently their method is easier.  I didn't even notice on mine until it was pointed out.  The Coonans are good (they are cast), but they do lack sand cuts and a couple of minor lightening cuts.  On the plus side, they have been open to custom markings on the left side and will do custom serial numbers.

The "G1" receivers have custom markings.  I assume that's part of why they cost more.

If you can find a NOS Type 1 or Type 1.5 forged DSA, that should also be fine (and a few ounces lighter than the Type 2 in the case of the Type 1; marginal difference for the Type 1.5).  People do have forged receivers for sale by themselves from time to time.

IMBEL and FMAP receivers are also sold on their own sometimes, but they carry a premium, coming from licenced FAL manufacturers.  I've only ever heard of Type 3s being imported, though.

For a current-production Type 3, I'd go with Coonan.  If I wanted custom serial numbers, I'd probably go with Coonan (DSA generally won't do them).  If I wanted more accurately cut Type 1s, Type 1.5s, or Type 2s, I'd go with DSA, cast or forged.  If I wanted forged, I'd either get a NOS DSA or wait to see if DSA goes through with a short run of forged they might do in the near future.
View Quote

So you're saying the DSA receivers are better machined? A properly done cast receiver will outlive me, especially with the price of ammo. Forged is just a little bonus.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:30:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

So you're saying the DSA receivers are better machined? A properly done cast receiver will outlive me, especially with the price of ammo. Forged is just a little bonus.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They have the lightening cut on the internal parts of the upper and have the sand cuts inside the receiver rails, while the Coonans do not.  Not sure the other part (the "gap") is better machined so much as it is machined differently.  The DSA method more accurately reflects an FN FAL's appearance, if that matters.  Functionally, they are not different.  Seems like DSA has had some quality controul issues with its cast receivers, although they will replace anything that ships out flawed without question.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:43:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a DSA rec from around 97? I forget. It has their old address on it, anyway I built a few on Imbel receivers. Top quality stuff. The DSA is top shelf. I built a lot of these when ammo was cheap and parts kits were everywhere.
I use to repair my friends gun show finds also.
FSE first son enterprises was a fire control group I used. Not sure if there still around. I think Tapco was in the parts business for a while too.
I remember buying the FAL mags from DSA when they were $5 each if you bought twenty I think it was?  I use to buy they strip them all down and scrub the grease out in a gasoline bath.  Keep the best ten and take ten to the gun show and sell them for $10 each.
Im wanting to get back to the M1A its been fifteen years since I shot one.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:20:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Bought a 18" barrel today from DSA while it's on sale. From what you guys have told me I'm thinking I'll go with their type 2 receiver but I'll wait awhile and keep an open mind.

Can anyone recommend the correct front sight height or is it too soon to know?
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:34:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Bought a 18" barrel today from DSA while it's on sale. From what you guys have told me I'm thinking I'll go with their type 2 receiver but I'll wait awhile and keep an open mind.

View Quote

Too soon to know.  Personally, I like the Type 1 and Type 1.5 better.  The former is the lightest.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 1:18:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Too soon to know.  Personally, I like the Type 1 and Type 1.5 better.  The former is the lightest.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I plan to use a standard rear sight. What exactly goes into determining the correct front sight height?
From what I understand the type 2 is a little stronger in crucial areas. Being lighter isn't a big deal to me. Is there anything else that would make a type 1 or 1.5 more appealing? Type 3 is strong too but I don't find them asthetically  pleasing as the others on a standard rifle.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 10:48:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I plan to use a standard rear sight. What exactly goes into determining the correct front sight height?
From what I understand the type 2 is a little stronger in crucial areas. Being lighter isn't a big deal to me. Is there anything else that would make a type 1 or 1.5 more appealing? Type 3 is strong too but I don't find them asthetically  pleasing as the others on a standard rifle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

From what I've heard, the lack of lightening cuts on Type 3 receivers is more about economy of production than strength.  The beefed-up areas seen on Type 2 receivers were introduced to prevent breaking under sustained full-auto fire.  If you're properly gassing your FAL and shooting in semi-auto, the difference in strength between various designs is negligible.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:18:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Ok so it's all really personal preference? What would be the correct receiver type for an Israeli HB FAL? When I can get the money and find a good parts kit I'd like to do one of those too
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 8:46:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Ok so it's all really personal preference? What would be the correct receiver type for an Israeli HB FAL? When I can get the money and find a good parts kit I'd like to do one of those too
View Quote

Honestly I have seen complete Israeli HB rifles cheaper than a parts kit.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:05:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Building them is part of the fun for me though.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 1:30:33 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote
Type 1 metric.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top