Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2015 2:31:08 PM EDT
I have been searching for some time for a FAL for my collection, and have just received this rifle. It does not appear to be an original FAL and it has practically no markings at all. I would be grateful for your help in identifying what I have as to determine whether I want this rifle in my collection or not. The rifle is not in the U.S. and is owned and possessed in my country in accordance with applicable local laws. Thanks!!

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 2:48:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks a lot like the Belgian M3 version of the 50.63, but with a ~406mm bipod-cut barrel (M3s had a non-bipod-cut 436mm barrel), bipod-cut handguards, and a Type 3 upper receiver (M3s had a Type 1.5) and Type 1 lower receiver (M3s used a Type 2).

I say this because of the presence of the carry handle and a standard charging handle, as well as the hiduminium lower receiver, which are not standard features on the typical 50.63 but certainly are for the M3 (of course, this is not an M3, it is just configured a lot like one).  You likely have other hiduminium parts as well (trigger guard, pistol grip nut, pistol grip stud, stock bolt; I can't recall if the hinge blocks for the stock were ever made of hiduminium), which can be verified with a magnet.  The pistol grip is likely serialed. The rear sight is the fixed type typically found on the shorter-barreled folding-butt rifles (and also found on Dutch-contract fixed-butt rifles).  It has the narrow-foot bolt hold-open device and the version of the combo device with the flats near the vents, which is the scarcer type, it seems, as well as a vertical frame-lock lever.

I'd say it is a somewhat non-standard lightweight FN 50.63.  I don't think FN ever made that barrel length as a production item, but I could be wrong, but if I'm right it means someone cut it down.  I'd have a gunsmith make sure that the gas port is the right diametre for that barrel length just in case it was cut down and the person who did it neglected to open up the port (or did it improperly), or you will have reliability issues.  It's a very nice piece.  The lightweight version is rather desirable and nowhere near as common as the standard versions with steel lowers.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 2:48:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Also, if you'd like I can post the picture on the FAL Files if you are not a member there and see what they think.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:37:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Tanks bigstick for the information. I have tried to register at FAL files and the FNUS forums without success. I would be very grateful if you could post there for me. My fundamental question is whether this is an FN made weapon or not, and it appears it is not.

Best,
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:54:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tanks bigstick for the information. I have tried to register at FAL files and the FNUS forums without success. I would be very grateful if you could post there for me. My fundamental question is whether this is an FN made weapon or not, and it appears it is not.

Best,
View Quote

It looks like an FN to me.  Certainly the lower receiver is made by FN.  The asterisk mark, proof marks, and lack of serial numbers are the tell-tale signs of a hiduminium lower receiver, which were only produced by FN.  It would help with proper ID if we had pictures of the whole receiver on each side and of the gun as a whole.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 2:25:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you bigstick. I will take and post the pictures as soon as possible. I have to mention that the rifle has some problems. When opened for disassembly light rubber mallet taps are necessary to dislodge the forward edge of the cover from the edge of the receiver and start it to move backwards for removal. Fairly strong rubber mallet taps are required upon assembly and closure of the upper for the cover front edge to engage in its recesss in the receiver, and also for the upper to completely and correctly close on the lower.

Additionally, upon shooting for functionality testing, only 2 out of 8 cartidges actually detonated, and of those 2, neither extracted. The gas regulator is at the 3 indication. The rifle appears, otherwise, unused except for external handling and storage marks.

Best,

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 6:08:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Very nice rifle. Did not think you could legally own that type of weapon in Mexico?
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:35:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Only if you hold the respective collector license, which is rather rare and difficult to obtain, or are an officer in the Armed Forces.. Thanks for your interest.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:13:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Additional pictures attached. I would be grateful for your help in determining if this is an original FN manufactured rifle or not. Both upper and lower appear to be made of the same material. The bolt and bolt carrier are marked only with a letter which I hope is visible in the attached pictures. I would also be grateful for your input regarding the function problems I referred to.

Best,

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:31:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Posted your pictures on the FAL Files.  Here's a link to the thread:

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=390688
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:31:04 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't see anywhere on the upper where it's marked FN- or anything else for that matter.

Look underneath the front of the upper receiver, just behind the handguards- anything there?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:06:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Thank you very, very much!

Best,

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:13:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:07:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes it is!
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:37:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:26:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I thought Mexico didn't allow military calibers, and it would have had to have been in something with a .308/7.62 NATO parent case.  Like those .222 Rem Mini-14's etc.

But it's just a half-assed memory. Looking it up, that's for handguns, no 9mm, just .380 etc. Looks like rifles are limited to .30 caliber on down.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes it is!

I thought Mexico didn't allow military calibers, and it would have had to have been in something with a .308/7.62 NATO parent case.  Like those .222 Rem Mini-14's etc.

But it's just a half-assed memory. Looking it up, that's for handguns, no 9mm, just .380 etc. Looks like rifles are limited to .30 caliber on down.

There are some exemptions to the .30-calibre limit for sporting purposes, as I recall.  The list of restricted calibres (reserved to the military, although there have been licences with exceptions built in in the past and I'm pretty sure in the present as well, considering some of the legally-owned collections I've seen in Mexico; my uncle legally owns a FAL and a 9.3mm rifle, for example), last I checked, included 7.62X51, 7X57, .30-06, .30 Carbine, 5.56X45, 9mm Luger, .38 Special, .357 Magnum, .38 Super, .38 Commando, 5.7 FN and anything above .380-calibre (for pistols), .30-calibre (for rifles), and 10 gauge (for shotguns).  IIRC .45 ACP was also redundantly on the list (redundant due to being over .380).  I've never been sure if the .380 means .380 ACP (so nothing more powerful or larger than that) or if it is a reference to the 9mm calibre (meaning a 9mm Largo would be okay; I'm inclined towards the latter, since .38 Super used to be okay under that restriction until it was added to the list).  There is no general prohibition on any and all military cartridges worldwide.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:30:48 AM EDT
[#16]
As for the FAL, the consensus on the FAL Files is to pass.  The rifle as pictured is select-fire, as it has the three-position selector, FA bolt, safety sear and spring, and a sear-cut upper receiver and ejector block.  I don't know if you have licences for full-auto or not.  I also don't know if the lack of serials would be an issue (I imagine it would be in Mexico, but I don't know for sure; I assume you would know).  If the select-fire capability and lack of serial numbers presents no legal issues for you, I'd buy it if the price were reasonable.  It appears to be a mix of parts by FN, IMBEL, CAVIM, and maybe PYRKAL as well based on the input from the FAL Files.  I would not pay the prices that a complete FN would go for, but it does have some uncommon and interesting parts (although they'd be worth more sold separately).  If you just want it for collector value as a complete rifle, I'd pass, legalities aside.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:35:05 AM EDT
[#17]
I think it would come down to what you want the rifle for.  It's not a collector grade rifle, it's a mix of parts from different countries.  If the rifle ran, it would be a fun shooter... but it doesn't.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:35:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Thank you all for your input and for sharing your knowledge. Thank you bigstick so much for all the help. Your are a decent person. I read all posts including those in FAL FILES. It would appear that nowadays many people are experts in Mexican law and "know for a fact" many things. Under Mexican Law, if you obtain a collector license, you are authorized to own firearms of any kind, including full auto weapons of all calibers, in accordance with the terms of your specific license. You can later on include other weapons in the collection or exclude them. You can obtain authorization to purchase from the respective Government Entity (part of the army) military weapons. You can only transfer military caliber or specification weapons to either an armed forces officer or to another duly licensed collector, with the prior authorization of the General Direction of Firearms and Explosives. Every acquisition of any firearm or any exclusion from a collection for any reason, require the respective permit. I know a few collections with more than 1,000 firearms, including all sorts of heavy machineguns. For obvious reasons all collectors prefer to be rather discreet about their hobby and be as anonymous as possible. I would be very grateful to you bigstick if you could help me get both, this post and the post at the FAL FILES forum closed and deleted if possible. It appears that even if you act in good faith and in accordance with applicable law, in an effort to gain knowledge from very respected forums, there are always people with unclear motivations (envy?) who always start speculating and voicing "know for a fact" and "expert" opinions on matters they do not have correct nor complete knowledge about. Lesson learned, never again. I do not care, neither for the exposure nor for any possible associated security risks it might generate.

Best,

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top