Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2015 1:40:34 AM EDT
I built my FAL with a rather worn Imbel parts kit on a Century receiver "on the cheap".  The rifle actually went together pretty well and I didn't run into any of the common Century problems (only had to chase the barrel threads with a tap to clean them up and sand a little to get it timed right).  I used the US-made Penguin "budget" green furniture to keep the costs down and the US parts count up.  And the black Imbel furniture was really beat and ugly looking.  

Today I was looking at the picture thread and realized that my rifle doesn't really compare to many it the glamour pics.  I'm not really thinking about a full refinish of the metal, so I'm not targeting the "New" look.  Here's how it looks now.  Any suggestions for replacement furniture?

(the tape was to hold the hand guards on at the range after my forend nut went AWOL)

Or maybe I can do something with these?  I've read about texturing with bead blasting.  Or maybe paint?

Rob
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 2:17:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
 Any suggestions for replacement furniture?

Rob
View Quote

Make it a classic beauty.  

http://ironwooddesigns.com/IWDFNFAL.html
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 6:16:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Just get a bolt and locknut from hardware.
Looks great!
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 6:42:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't know how you could shoot it without a locking shoulder.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 7:16:11 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
one pic has one the other doesn't....Good contribution to a furniture thread though.

I prefer the black plastic. I can't afford the rarer stuff. If you want wood, Iron wood makes great stuff, otherwise for new furniture, the DSA product isn't bad.

Link Posted: 4/9/2015 10:11:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
one pic has one the other doesn't....Good contribution to a furniture thread though.

I prefer the black plastic. I can't afford the rarer stuff. If you want wood, Iron wood makes great stuff, otherwise for new furniture, the DSA product isn't bad.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

VLTOR also makes a decently priced rail fore-end that brings your FAL into the 21 century.
They make both carbine and rifle length. You can configure the rails wherever you want on it, or have none at all.

VLTOR CASV-FAS

ETA I forgot how cool this was. I may have to get one for my Tactical SA58.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 1:54:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Looks great!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Looks great!

I have since replaced the bolt and nut + star washer.

Quoted:

Good eye.  The detail pic was from first assembly while waiting for my locking shoulder to arrive.  In the pic with targets obviously it is installed and functional!

Thanks for the thoughts so far.  I do want to avoid new-looking furniture as I think it would look out of place with the worn parts.

Any other thoughts?  I could put the beat up black Imbel furniture on it an put it back to it's "service" look.  Maybe I'll try that for a comparison before buying something else.

Rob

Rob
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 2:48:26 PM EDT
[#7]
robertrtg? He may have some nice surplus, otherwise falfiles marketplace or watch gunbroker. A nice set of surplus would look good on that rifle.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 7:05:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Good eye.  The detail pic was from first assembly while waiting for my locking shoulder to arrive.  In the pic with targets obviously it is installed and functional!

Thanks for the thoughts so far.  I do want to avoid new-looking furniture as I think it would look out of place with the worn parts.

Any other thoughts?  I could put the beat up black Imbel furniture on it an put it back to it's "service" look.  Maybe I'll try that for a comparison before buying something else.

Rob

Rob
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks great!

Quoted:

Rob

Rob

I had the Imbel stock, replaced the cheapy feel DSA stock with that, and it does feel better made, but LOP is still too long for me.
So I replaced it with an Israeli FAL stock with a short LOP and I love it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 7:59:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a set of Israeli light barrel furniture sitting in my box o FAL without any purpose in life.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 11:04:08 PM EDT
[#10]

You can buy the cheaper heavy handguards and easily modify them to fit a metric FAL.

Link Posted: 4/22/2015 12:29:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You can buy the cheaper heavy handguards and easily modify them to fit a metric FAL.

http://home.windstream.net/jbperry/4dl/izzyhg1.jpg
View Quote

And if you end up pulling the barrel off for any reason, just replace the original LB handguard retainer with a heavy barrel handguard retainer (cheap and easily available).

If you go the Israeli HB handguard route, keep in mind the the handguards will be fatter than the originals.  Since I have big hands, I prefer the Heavy Barrel handguards...

Forrest

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 3:39:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I had the Imbel stock, replaced the cheapy feel DSA stock with that, and it does feel better made, but LOP is still too long for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks great!

Quoted:

Rob

Rob

I also replaced my STG 58 stock with an Izzy for the shorter LOP.  Someday I'll actually get the LB hand guard installed.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:38:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Well this might not be what you're looking for but since you already went green.......baby poop.  Yep baby poop it.  

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=187405&highlight=Rhodie

You keep the furniture you have and paint the whole rifle in Rhodesian paint.  

Alternatively I like the modern version with the forearm and the folding stock posted above.

If you still have your beat up Imbel furniture, that's the perfect set to practice or demo a set.  Just clean with alcohol or other good solvent and all them scratches will help hold the paint.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:48:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I also replaced my STG 58 stock with an Izzy for the shorter LOP.  Someday I'll actually get the LB hand guard installed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks great!

Quoted:

Rob

Rob

Get them (LB HGs) while they are still cheap!

I remember when M16A1 furniture was so cheap you practically couldn't give it away. Now it ridiculously expensive. That in the space of about 10 years.

I can't use the full length izzy handguards because I have the tactical carbine.  I am trying to work something out to have some slotted Belgian style handguards made of wood for the carbine length gas systems.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 1:14:01 PM EDT
[#15]
I bought the stock and HG set from a guy on the FAL files.  I just never got around to putting the HG on.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:17:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I can't use the full length izzy handguards because I have the tactical carbine.  I am trying to work something out to have some slotted Belgian style handguards made of wood for the carbine length gas systems.
View Quote

If you find someone making the Belgian style wood handguards that fit the short gas system please let me know. I'd love to put a set on my SBR FAL and get rid of all plastic except the grip.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 12:05:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

If you find someone making the Belgian style wood handguards that fit the short gas system please let me know. I'd love to put a set on my SBR FAL and get rid of all plastic except the grip.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's under wraps for now, but I sent my DSA plastic ones off to *someone* as a model to see if they could make some production wood copies. Not saying any names.

They said there would be no bipod cuts, but that it should be possible. No idea how long it might take.  Fingers crossed.

Will post it in the arfcom fal forum first if it happens.  I think there are quite a few SA58 tactical carbine owners that might like a set.

Link Posted: 7/26/2015 10:42:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It's under wraps for now, but I sent my DSA plastic ones off to *someone* as a model to see if they could make some production wood copies. Not saying any names.

They said there would be no bipod cuts, but that it should be possible. No idea how long it might take.  Fingers crossed.

Will post it in the arfcom fal forum first if it happens.  I think there are quite a few SA58 tactical carbine owners that might like a set.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any word yet on these?? Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top