Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2015 8:35:04 PM EDT
I've caught the FAL bug and intend to purchase my first one in the near future. I've got my eyes fixated on the Para model for the folding ability.

The rifle will primarily be used for range fun with targets not to exceed 300 yards. I'm not expecting spectacular accuracy but once I become proficient with it I'd like to enter a few competitions.  

Assuming the rifle will be running good, is there an advantage having the longer (2") barrel in the Para other than a longer sight radius and accuracy?.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 2:59:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I've caught the FAL bug and intend to purchase my first one in the near future. I've got my eyes fixated on the Para model for the folding ability.

The rifle will primarily be used for range fun with targets not to exceed 300 yards. I'm not expecting spectacular accuracy but once I become proficient with it I'd like to enter a few competitions.  

Assuming the rifle will be running good, is there an advantage having the longer (2") barrel in the Para other than a longer sight radius and accuracy?.
View Quote

The sight radius is the same unless you go with a short gas system.  I'd be surprised if there is a difference in accuracy.  Longer barrel does not mean more accuracy.  The 16" weighs a bit less (somewhere around an ounce, I think) and is more compact (by a couple of inches, obviously) but has a lower initial velocity, although you probably wouldn't notice within 300 yards.  Not sure how different POI will be using irons.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:32:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I believe that 18" is best compromise between compactness and ballistics.

Original FAL Paras were 17.7"

I have an 18" barreled FAL and it will be a "para" again
very soon.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:21:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I had a 16", and it was great with accuracy, and did not experience stringing. I believe that was due to the shorter barrel. That being said, when I do it again, it's going to have the 18" barrel.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:42:25 AM EDT
[#4]
THANKS for your replies. It"s quite evident that y'all know your FALs.  So it appears the Para has no real advantage in either size, at least not for me. The longer barrel model is definitely not a deal breaker for me.

I"ve seen videos of solid stock carbines being used in competition and am amazed on how felt recoil and barrel lift can be virtually eliminated by adjusting the gas. I'm aware that the Para gas a completely different recoil spring system but can it be gassed to reduce recoil down like its srandard carbine brother,  without affecting reliability?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 2:25:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I have both 16" and 18" FAL's and prefer the longer of the two.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 2:35:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Man, I wish I was your neighbor!!

Can you elaborate as to the reason(s)?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 3:27:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I believe that 18" is best compromise between compactness and ballistics.

Original FAL Paras were 17.7"

I have an 18" barreled FAL and it will be a "para" again
very soon.
View Quote

FN actually offered two lengths, 436mm (~17.17") and 458mm (~18.03") for the Para model.  IIRC, the latter was the original offering.  The 436mm length was offered subsequent to the Belgian Army custom ordering Paras in that length for their paratroopers so that they could exit the doors of their aircraft with their weapons carried horizontally across their bodies.  The Belgian Para rifles also retained the standard charging handle and carry handle.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:12:47 PM EDT
[#8]
There was also the 50.61 model with a 21" barrel.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:26:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/36/5064-04.jpg
View Quote

I don't think it was considered a Para, though, just a folding butt rifle.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:42:18 PM EDT
[#10]
16" short gas Para, 18" fixed stock here.  Love both.  Don't get to shoot them anywhere near often enough.

Wouldn't mind adding a 16" standard gas fixed stock to the mix...
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:10:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a Para length (the 17.7 or whatever) and it's the best IMO.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:26:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Great info. Feels like I'm in class.

To those that own or have fired a fixed [wooden] stock carbine and a PARA [folder], is the fixed stock carbine a softer shooter??
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:39:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Fixed stock certainly feels smoother against your face
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:46:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

To those that own or have fired a fixed [wooden] stock carbine and a PARA [folder], is the fixed stock carbine a softer shooter??
View Quote

The fixed butt is more comfortable, IMO, in a number of respects, and also allows for a lower weight than is possible with any folding-butt FAL of similar barrel length.  The main benefit of the folding stock is compactness for storage, carry, and parachute operations.  It is also better looking, IMO.  If your needs or the strength of your aesthetic preferences make the trade-off acceptable, then go for the folding butt.  Otherwise, just stick with the fixed butt.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:03:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Wow. Here I thought that the Para weighed less that a fixed stock carbine. The added weight of the Para is of no concern, if it's only a few pounds.

Weird that I haven't come across any videos of a Para in action. The Carbines I've seen in action demonstrate little to no recoil and barrel lift. Perhaps technique has something to do with it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 4:04:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hah, I wish I were a Texan. NoVa sucks. 18" seems to have a little less muzzle blast and though it may be all in my mind, it seems to be a bit softer shooting.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 5:06:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Hah, I wish I were a Texan. NoVa sucks. 18" seems to have a little less muzzle blast and though it may be all in my mind, it seems to be a bit softer shooting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for your reply. Is your 18" a Para?
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 5:13:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ha. Regardless of which variant I get, I'm going  to make a cheek rest for it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 10:16:54 PM EDT
[#19]
I built myself a para from an Imbel kit at gunsmith school (CST). I first cut the barrel to 16" but there was an improper (double-angle shoulder) cut in its chamber. It worked with a much larger port opening, but I didn't like that, and got a second barrel to shorten, which I cut to 17.165" (yes I was precise) .

I prefer the longer length, due to slightly less blast when firing. The ballistics are slightly better as well compared to the minimal length added, so I left it that way.

I finished it off with a Rhodesian folder from Sportsman's Guide. I have also fired it with a fixed stock and, as mentioned, the fixed stock is lighter and more comfortable. The folder looks way cooler though.

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 11:12:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The fixed butt is more comfortable, IMO, in a number of respects, and also allows for a lower weight than is possible with any folding-butt FAL of similar barrel length.  The main benefit of the folding stock is compactness for storage, carry, and parachute operations.  It is also better looking, IMO.  If your needs or the strength of your aesthetic preferences make the trade-off acceptable, then go for the folding butt.  Otherwise, just stick with the fixed butt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BTW, Thanks for your insight. I really appreciate your commentary and advise!!
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 11:24:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I built myself a para from an Imbel kit at gunsmith school (CST). I first cut the barrel to 16" but there was an improper (double-angle shoulder) cut in its chamber. It worked with a much larger port opening, but I didn't like that, and got a second barrel to shorten, which I cut to 17.165" (yes I was precise) .

I prefer the longer length, due to slightly less blast when firing. The ballistics are slightly better as well compared to the minimal length added, so I left it that way.

I finished it off with a Rhodesian folder from Sportsman's Guide. I have also fired it with a fixed stock and, as mentioned, the fixed stock is lighter and ,more comfortable. The folder looks way cooler though.  
View Quote

Bro, you're one talented mofo, for sure. I envy you.

Everthing tells me I'd probably be happier with a fixed stock carbine, but I want that Para like a fat kid wants chocolate cake.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 11:44:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Everthing tells me I'd probably be happier with a fixed stock carbine, but I want that Para like a fat kid wants chocolate cake.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I finished it off with a Rhodesian folder from Sportsman's Guide. I have also fired it with a fixed stock and, as mentioned, the fixed stock is lighter and ,more comfortable. The folder looks way cooler though.  

If you're willing to accept the trade-offs, then go for it.  If I were to build a custom FAL (which I intend to do eventually when I have the funds), I would "get both" and have a Para lower and fixed-butt lower with the appropriate top covers and bolt groups so I could use whichever I please when I please.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 1:01:58 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote
Well thank you, sir.

If you really do a full para build, the receiver will have a larger relief hole (reamed) for the para cover's "nose". I recommend doing it that way, as the true para cover keeps the recoil springs contained when you break everything down.

Like bigstick said, you can totally have both. I leave my para bolt carrier and cover in place, and swap a complete lower with fixed stock whenever I want. There's no need to go "full rat tail".

Get the cake bro!

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 1:36:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Guys, that's an excellent idea.

At a minimum, what's the cost be to build a lower w/fixed stock using decent (new or used) parts?
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 2:36:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Anywhere from $200 to $443. I'd say this guy lucked out. He just needs a buttpad and semi-auto mods. I'd consider this the crazy high-end from DSA, but it's ready to bolt on, and has 922r compliance parts.
I'd keep an eye out... here, GB, FALfiles, sturmgewehr.
This looks good: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=465826495
Modding to semi-auto can be free if you have a grinder and some files. TIG welded bead will block the safety rotation to semi only, but as long as it always disconnects for whatever reason you're golden.

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 8:55:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, but the OP was interested in a folder and appears concerned about the effects of a shorter barrel - just pointing out that a 21" folder was a factory configuration.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:34:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yes, but the OP was interested in a folder and appears concerned about the effects of a shorter barrel - just pointing out that a 21" folder was a factory configuration.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Roger that, Tap. We're on the same wavelength. I appreciate your input.

At this juncture it's a toss-up between the two (16/18) lengths, although the 18 is gaining momentum...

BTW, I plan to go to the gun show this weekend with the hope that I'll find a few rifles to fondle.  Not going with the intentions of buying as I don't know enough about what to stay away from.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:47:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Anywhere from $200 to $443. I'd say this guy lucked out. He just needs a buttpad and semi-auto mods. I'd consider this the crazy high-end from DSA, but it's ready to bolt on, and has 922r compliance parts.

I'd keep an eye out... here, GB, FALfiles, sturmgewehr.

This looks good: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=465826495

Modding to semi-auto can be free if you have a grinder and some files. TIG welded bead will block the safety rotation to semi only, but as long as it always disconnects for whatever reason you're golden.    
View Quote

Bro, Thanks for taking the time to do this!! Great info for sure.

So, well under $500 for a new lower. Not bad at all. I'll definitely keep my eye out for a good deal on a Imbel lower.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 4:23:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

At this juncture it's a toss-up between the two (16/18) lengths, although the 18 is gaining momentum...

BTW, I plan to go to the gun show this weekend with the hope that I'll find a few rifles to fondle.  Not going with the intentions of buying as I don't know enough about what to stay away from.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can also go with the 17.17" (436mm).
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:37:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Here's my take... for what little its worth.

I own both 16" and 18" para's. Both are the older models built by DSA or when LMT was making receivers for them. I purchased the 16" first and instantly knew I would love to have a full length rifle as well to add to the safe.

After reading as many "16 vs 18" para threads on every forum possible. I convinced myself that the 18" para was some sort of magical "End-All" FAL configuration... Also It didn't hurt that the same guy I purchased my 16" from had another pristine unfired 18" he was trying to sell here on the EE.

So.. I bought the 18" as well. Soon after I bought one of the Springfield Imbel import (SAR) rifles as well. Now that I've owned and shot all 3 lengths (16", 18" & 21") I'll lend you my two cents.

IF you only intend to buy and own ONE FAL. The 18" is truly a great compromise. I personally would recommend a fixed stock 18" FAL. It will do anything you ask of it with little complaints on your end.

...But at the end of the day I enjoy shooting my 21" rifle more than the others.

I will say that I don't dislike the 16" para. If i could only own two FALs it would be the 16" para with a 21" rifle variant. The 16" para feel very very handy, I didn't think the 2" jump from barrel lengths would change the feel that much but I does in my opinion. The 16" feels more like a true carbine, where the 18" feels like its trying simulate a rifle. I can tell the weight difference immediately after shouldering a 16" vs an 18". Of course the difference is minimal.. So you'll have to convince yourself the 18" is worth it ballistic-wise. To me 16" is fine. If I purchased another 16, it would probably be a fixed stock 16" to boot. Para's look cool, amazing, sexy, icon, etc. but fixed stocks feel nicer in every way when I'm at the range.

Oh by the way. You wont end up with just one FAL.

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:48:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Para barrel length seems to differ by a few mm between countries. Imbel for example says 440mm which is 17.32 in. However, I think everyone will agree that the length is consistently over 17" and below 18" regardless of country of origin.

http://www.imbel.gov.br/index.php/produtos/fuzis
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 6:12:18 PM EDT
[#32]
The 18" works great for Ca as its gets the folded length just over 30" so its legal to use. If you live in a free state I would go with the 16" folder, the more compact the better.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 9:55:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got plastic or a woody?
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 11:35:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Got plastic or a woody?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got plastic or a woody?

Alloy, actually.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top