Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2014 10:02:06 AM EDT
As the title says, anyone know what the quality is like for the current production SA58 rifles from DSA?

I've seen reports over the last few years that the quality has gotten spotty, but nothing this year. This thread is only meant for information and not to allow people to bash DSA, so please be honest and keep it clean.

If the DSA rep could chime in, that would be awesome.

Thanks in advance for any info.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 1:40:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I got one of the new ones about 6 months ago.  I really like it, but DSA dropped the ball hard on the final touches.  Lots of sharp edges on the inside, as well as the feed lips on the magazine.  If I locked the bolt to the rear inserted a magazine and hit the bolt release, it would not chamber a round because the sharp edges snagged on the brass case.  The feed ramps also had sharp bumps protruding preventing a smooth chambering.  I spent an hour or so with hand files and fine grit sand paper smoothing everything up before I attempted to shoot it.  It worked great afterwards and hasn't given me any issues at the range.

I know I could have sent it back to DSA, but I didn't want to wait god knows how long for them to maybe fix it to my standards when I was capable of fixing it myself at no cost to me.

All in all I love the rifle, but I shouldn't have had to do what I did to something that cost over a thousand dollars.  However, when it comes to FAL's, we really don't have a whole lot of other options.  If I had to do it over, I'd still buy it again.

Quoted:
As the title says, anyone know what the quality is like for the current production SA58 rifles from DSA?

I've seen reports over the last few years that the quality has gotten spotty, but nothing this year. This thread is only meant for information and not to allow people to bash DSA, so please be honest and keep it clean.

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/4/2015 10:24:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote

I Just purchased a new DSA SA58 last month.  Type 1 Forged receiver with a 18" barrel.  I am very disappointed with mine.  

#1  10%-20% (depending on ammo)of the fired brass shell get stuck in the chamber.
#2  The chamber is rough with lots of machine marks.
#3  Rifle shoots extremely low. 6" low at 50 yards,and the rounds hit the ground before making it to the 200 yard target.
#4  After emails and multiple calls to Customer Service, to sum it up, I have been advised to keep calling them for advice and parts because I would be better off, fixing it myself, and not returning the rifle to the factory.

The part of me that loves guns and loves working on guns has been enjoying working on this gun.  Sanding, polishing, filing, replacing.......and test firing.  Its been fun.

But the part of my brain where logic lives is pissed.  When purchasing a brand new DSA rifle for almost $1700.00, I believe that rifle should work.  And if its does not work, DSA should fix it in a timely manner or replace it.  DS Arms has been unwilling to do that.  But at least C.S. has been polite, somewhat helpful, and have quickly mailed me replacement parts.

But overall, I regret purchasing my DSA SA58.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 8:45:05 PM EDT
[#3]
A little FYI DSA type 1 receivers DSA #28388 and up are cast.

Hope yours is forged. Any questions can be answered by R1 over
at the files. Good luck
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 11:49:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A little FYI DSA type 1 receivers DSA #28388 and up are cast.

Hope yours is forged. Any questions can be answered by R1 over
at the files. Good luck
View Quote

Well that is a silver lining to my dark cloud.
Once I get my SA58 working properly I will have one
of the last forged receiver DSAs. My serial # is just under
the number you posted.

Link Posted: 6/5/2015 12:19:20 AM EDT
[#5]
DSA seems hit or miss. I'm really thinking of buying all the stuff I want and sending to to a good smith for assembly
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 7:42:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I suspect that they are ALL cast at this point,  There would be no reason not to, and there is really not much difference betwixt a type 1 and a type 2.  When it comes to FALs, I'll keep the few I've got left, and gladly move on to the EBR system !  
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 4:04:25 AM EDT
[#7]
I have several DSA FAL rifles and been very happy with them.  Granted that my 4 rifles are now eight years old.  Two of them were built on nice G1 and L1A1 parts kits... My "StG-58" and my "para carbine" copies, which I believe are built with mostly U.S. made parts and barrel, but still really nice.   I also have two of their special run Type III receivers that I purchase around 2010/2011 sitting in my safe.  

I don't know about their newer rifles, but I heard both some good and bad  things about them...  All I can say is that I probably wouldn't buy one of their newer rifles if it was built on one of the newer receivers.

If I should come across an older DSA  StG-58 rifle, that would be a different story.  Especially if it was built on an Austrian StG-58 parts kit.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 7:38:30 AM EDT
[#8]
We have had a few bumps in the road in recent years as we ran out of niw surplus parts, and began us production of those parts, rest assured we have addressed all issues and actually improved the fal basic parts while doing so, this was mainly due to use of modern steels, heat treat and enhanced surface finishing. Also please always keep in mind our excellent warranty, so no matter what era dsa rifle you have you are covered.

Thanks

DSArms Management
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 2:15:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
We have had a few bumps in the road in recent years as we ran out of niw surplus parts, and began us production of those parts, rest assured we have addressed all issues and actually improved the fal basic parts while doing so, this was mainly due to use of modern steels, heat treat and enhanced surface finishing. Also please always keep in mind our excellent warranty, so no matter what era dsa rifle you have you are covered.

Thanks

DSArms Management
View Quote

One fellow above seemed to indicate that the warranty amounted to advice on the phone and replacement parts sent to the owner in the mail.

Is that SOP?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:31:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Thanks

DSArms Management
View Quote

I sent you a PM with a question. I also sent an email through the DSA website last week. No answers from either yet.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:25:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Mmmm.....
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 12:31:08 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

you are covered.

Thanks

View Quote
That reads like a grave digger's sales slogan.

Link Posted: 8/19/2015 11:24:33 PM EDT
[#13]
mine is an SA 58 with the optics mount, I had to finger fuck the mount, but it runs like a top. I had it out today and put a moses mag through the paces, with the acog and PP ammo its a joy to shoot, just keep in mind it is not a precision rifle, but a get down battle rifle. I have never had a problem with my SA 58 and am considering another DSA FAL
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 5:50:27 PM EDT
[#14]
If DSA didn't have quality issues there wouldn't be threads all over the internet on which serial numbers to get and which ones to avoid. It's always a cost cutting game with them, disappointing considering what they used to be. I had a forged not a cast, not a big deal to most FAL guys either way.  I know for a fact there was a period of time when they shipped cast on the para without changing the advertised specs. It was virtually impossible to tell, not a big deal really but a little disclosure goes a long way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top