Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2014 11:02:18 AM EDT
Got my new dsa dust cover mount last night and all went great. I then tightened the screws and the last one I tightened thumb then did one turn with the screw driver and the head sheared off without it being as tight as the others (I.e. I didn't really torque the thing hard). Now I'm left with the screw body in place but it has no head. I've ordered six spares from dsa but I'm at a loss on how to get the screw out when the replacement arrives. Any suggestions?

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:19:52 PM EDT
[#1]
If it is only threaded in and not tight just get a small dowel rod or small shaft and put a little super glue on the end and hold it on the screw body and unscrew.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:22:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Hmm why didn't I think of that. It may be a little too tight for that but worth a try.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:08:18 PM EDT
[#3]
This is why I prefer the ARMS mount.

Although the DSA mount is more solid I hated the screws with a passion.

I sold my DSA mount and got another ARMS.

Foof for thought....

They might make an "EZ Out" small enough to use on that screw.

Go you your local auto parts store and bring the part with you.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:21:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is why I prefer the ARMS mount.

Although the DSA mount is more solid I hated the screws with a passion.

I sold my DSA mount and got another ARMS.

Foof for thought....

They might make an "EZ Out" small enough to use on that screw.

Go you your local auto parts store and bring the part with you.
View Quote

After I sold my old FAL I had remorse about it and later got a DSA SA58 16" NIB. I ordered the. DSA cover mount and low and behold broke a screw like OP. Sears had an EZ out kit with a bit the size I needed. I used aftermarket screws once I fix the problem.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:44:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the help guys. I was a little schocked when the screw broke as soon as it was under any tension.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:55:39 PM EDT
[#6]
After market torx screws from McMaster-Carr FTW.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:17:42 AM EDT
[#7]
even the upgraded hex screws DSA sells are better than what comes with the scope rail. I broke 2 screws too.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:31:25 AM EDT
[#8]
I used hex head screws from the beginning but broke the little tension plate they connect to. Dsa sent me another but sure enough I broke it to and for years I have held zero without 1 plate.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:08:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Well i took it to the range with the broken screw still in place and after about 10 rounds it worked itself out which is good. Put a brand new one in from DSA that arrived today...screwed down about 1 full turn with a screw driver and the screw head sheered in half. I'm getting a little annoyed now. Luckily it functions fine without a screw and I have 5 more. I guess the next one i'll just do finger tight and leave it like that. I am really not torquing these things hard at all. Even just holding them they seem made out of very brittle stuff.

on the plus side the rail/scope hold zero fine without the screw its just annoying :)

p.s. a pair of pliers fixed my problem 3rd screw now installed and it didn't break! finally.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:38:25 PM EDT
[#10]
If you'd like to get a quality screw for this mount, you want McMaster-Carr product 96452A190, a #8-32 1/4" socket-head cap screw.  It's tougher than what DSA provides and doesn't risk ripping your hand open if you rub against the side of the mount while working the charging handle.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 6:15:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Resurrecting an old thread. I got the DSA FAL mount for Christmas and am going to mount it soon. I ordered only 25 of the button heads screws similar to the McMaster Carr listing above for less than $8.00 including shipping. That's enough to do 2 mounts with some spares, and I certainly didn't need 50 or 100 screws. Better yet, these screws use standard Allen Hex wrenches and the McMaster Carr listing requires Torx drivers. I already keep Allen wrenches in my range kit and did not want to add a Torx wrench.

See this web page for Albany Fasteners item #12090004: 25 pcs for $1.74

http://www.albanycountyfasteners.com/Button_Socket_Head_Screw_8_32_Black_Oxide_Stainles_p/12090000.htm

Link Posted: 2/4/2015 6:25:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 9:39:45 AM EDT
[#13]
I've had 3 screws sheer in half and 1 or 2 locking plates break.

Decent mount, but I like the ARMS mount better.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:06:47 PM EDT
[#14]
I bought a DSA cover/mount kit about a year ago.

The instructions had a torque specified, so I used a F.A.T. tool (torque screwdriver) set to the spec. (I think it was 35 in-lbs)

Went on without a problem.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top