Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2014 4:48:17 PM EDT
Now forgive me in advance, I'm more of an AK and AR user.  I have a DSA STG58, I have yet to take it out to the range.  I was disassembling it for cleaning and lubricating for this weekend's range trip and found something that raised a few red flags and I'm a little concerned.  The firing pin is protruding a significant amount out of the bolt face, it does not move at all.  I pushed on it with a flat punch and it doesn't seem to be spring tensioned at all, but stock. I'm concerned that this may cause problems while at the range causing slam fires or not firing at all.  It is a two piece firing pin and I removed the pin that holds the firing pin head in and the rest of pin is stuck in the bolt carrier, I have no idea how to get the rest of the firing pin removed from the bolt.  Youtube came up empty for me.  I bought this rifle new, so I have no idea if this is normal or not.  Here is the best pic I could get with the firing pin protruding.  I can take other pics if needed.  I'm going to feel like an idiot if this is normal.

Obligatory rifle picture.

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 5:04:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 5:22:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Something is obviously wrong.

The firing pin should just fall out of the bolt when the retaining pin is removed.

Use something that will not mar your bolt face to knock the firing pin out.

Post some pics of the entire firing pin assembly.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 5:50:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I whacked the firing pin and it reset. Reassembled and dry fired again and the pin got stuck again. Got it dislodged again. Will post pics soon.
The pin looks straight. The spring does have a slight bemd to it
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 6:19:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 6:54:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Your bolt is inch pattern (Australian manufacture). The firing pin looks like a modified metric pattern two-piece firing pin.

You can try to sand the shaft of the pin until it doesn't stick in the bolt anymore or find an original inch pattern firing pin.

The firing pin springs are also different lengths.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 9:59:50 PM EDT
[#6]
The last time I saw a firing pin in that position in my FAL, I was about to have a slamfire.  Given your picture, it seems all the parts are there...BUT, the firing pin should be at rest inside the FP hole and not protruding.  In fact, you should be able to press the FP in from the back with your thumb, and feel it resist and reset when you let off the pressure.

Make sure the tunnel in which the FP and FP spring ride is clear and clean.

Write back if condition persists.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 11:37:01 PM EDT
[#7]
That's a dangerous condition you describe and will almost certainly result in an out of battery catastrophic slam fire. Call DSA, get a shipping label and send it back most Ricky Tick.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 10:32:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top