Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2014 9:52:14 PM EDT
This is for sale locally. A buddy of mine just called me about it and said it's an FN.  Can anybody positively ID this thing?  What should I look out for?  Like I said, I know nothing about FALs and it seems like there's so many variances between quality and values.

Link Posted: 7/2/2014 10:23:00 PM EDT
[#1]
It looks like an Israeli FAL with a heavy barrel, stock and top cover(where the scope is mounted) are aftermarket parts. As far as the upper and lower would have to have more info, the manufacturer will be stamped on the side. If it is an FN it would be  gtg. I believe the Israeli FALs also had a forward assist and sand cuts in the bolt carrier to deal with the desert conditions. I'm no expert, maybe someone else on the forum could give you more information. You could also try the FAL Files, it's got loads of info in that forum.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 10:25:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks like an Israeli heavy barrel.  With a butthole stock.  Markings on the receiver are key to determining the value.  As you noted there are several models of FAL - metric, inch, kit builds and manufacturers/country of origin.  Close-ups of both sides of the receiver will help greatly with value and origin.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 10:33:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Need to find out what kind of receiver that is.

If it is a Hesse or Enterprise pass on it.

It is an Israeli heavy barrel kit but there were several of them build on crap receivers.

I would say as a kit it worth about $1200 as a kit if the receiver were to be crap, otherwise if it is an Imbel, DSA, DCI or Century receiver that is probably as $1300-$1500 rifle.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 10:45:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies. I'm probably going to check it out tomorrow. Is there any chance it's an actual FN or is it impossible to say for sure with the crappy pics?
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 11:48:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Why would an FN have a thumbhole stock?

Most FNs are Type 1 receivers, although there are some Type 3s.

Just going to have to look and see what it is.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 9:22:43 AM EDT
[#6]
I would shy away from it. It appears to be a hodge podge of parts that have been used. I see nothing that indicates it is a FN. The barrel my be, but no way to know unless you can find some kind of markings. Additionally, a true semi-auto (w/ auto sear cut-out) FN FAL 50.XX is going to run around $3K (+/-) depending on condition. The FAL you are looking at is nowhere close. I have a couple FALs and a L1A1 and I really like the platform. If you want a nice one, keep looking. You want to make sure it is built on an Imbel or DSArms receiver.

Imbel FAL on an Imbel "Gear logo" receiver

G1 FAL built on DSArms receiver

Lithgow L1A1-F1 PNG built on DSArms receiver

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top