Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2014 11:54:57 PM EDT
Realized I only had 20 mags for my RFB and my AR-10. That's not enough.

Recommend a reliable, no frills magazine. Are the Korean ones in the brown paper wrapper any good?  How about the Thermold? The Moses Mag?  

What should I pay? What are the going rates for surplus mags?
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 9:48:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Stay far far away from Korean and DSA fal magazines!

I've heard nothing but good things about moses mags, but I prefer steel.

Numrich has Israeli 20 rounders still wraped in wax paper and tied with a string for $25 each, and they always have a discount on shipping floating around.

Of course original FN's are about the best but are going to set you back about $40
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 1:29:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Numrich has Israeli 20 rounders still wraped in wax paper and tied with a string for $25 each, and they always have a discount on shipping floating around.

Of course original FN's are about the best but are going to set you back about $40
View Quote

How can the Koreans and DSA f-up FAL magazines? Once is almost a 1st world country and the other bills itself as the "masters" of the platform?  Seriously, what do these magazines do?  I'm picking up a lot of Korean FAL mag hate, but do they go into your computer and send your bank info the Nigerian prices when you try to load them past 10 rounds? Just curious....

Should I wait for MagPul to make a FAL mag?  Are Thermolds the next best thing?  All (except for 2) the mags I have are steel, and 10 of them are West German surplus....which I got for $40 in 2004? 2005?
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 1:57:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Surplus.  Austrian and Israeli are still readily available (well, maybe not readily, but can be found with minimal effort).  $20 a pop seems to be the going rate for excellent to new condition.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 7:19:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Magpul isn't making an FAL mag unless they suddenly changed their mind!
I called them for a couple years every month trying to get them to, said they weren'yt gonna do it because wasn't a big enough market to make it worth their while, considering molds are $30,000 to $75,000 to make for something like that!
Also said FAL mags couldn't really be done because of dimension problems with the FAL magwell size and the Fal mag size requirements, thickness differences with the polymer and the steel, since the steel could be much thinner walled than polymer.

So I decided to look into making them for myself because I really wanted some high quality polymer FAL mags for me!
So damn the torpedoes full speed ahead!  

I did it, took a long time and a lot of work but now I have some great polymer FAL mags! Made right here in the good ole US of A so they count as 3 parts US parts toward your USA parts count!

Just google FAL moses mags you'll see how to get them. Can't post links here website rules sorry.

100% money back guarantee as long as they have not been deliberately abused.

I haven't seen new surplus going for $20 in a long while, you can probably find some beat up looking old surplus FAL mags for $20 to $25 but they don't count as US parts and they may not work.

There are videos on youtube showing how reliable and tough the Moses mag is. PLus they weigh half the weight of a steel mag!

Google do some research I know you'll like what you see!
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 8:14:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Magpul isn't making an FAL mag unless they suddenly changed their mind!
I called them for a couple years every month trying to get them to, said they weren'yt gonna do it because wasn't a big enough market to make it worth their while, considering molds are $30,000 to $75,000 to make for something like that!
Also said FAL mags couldn't really be done because of dimension problems with the FAL magwell size and the Fal mag size requirements, thickness differences with the polymer and the steel, since the steel could be much thinner walled than polymer.

So I decided to look into making them for myself because I really wanted some high quality polymer FAL mags for me!
So damn the torpedoes full speed ahead!  

I did it, took a long time and a lot of work but now I have some great polymer FAL mags! Made right here in the good ole US of A so they count as 3 parts US parts toward your USA parts count!

Just google FAL moses mags you'll see how to get them. Can't post links here website rules sorry.

I haven't seen new surplus going for $20 in a long while, you can probably find some beat up looking old surplus FAL mags for $20 to $25 but they don't count as US parts and they may not work.

There are videos on youtube showing how reliable and tough the Moses mag is. PLus they weigh half the weight of a steel mag!

View Quote

I like your mags too. Should have mentioned those as a good option.  But excellent to new surplus can be found for $20-$25 or so on GB, the EE or FAL Files.

A couple of day ago I saw 8 new-in-wrap Israeli mags go for $180 shipped on GB.  Here's a similar auction going right now, albeit more expensive ($30 a mag):
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=403274375

Link Posted: 3/24/2014 8:26:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

How can the Koreans and DSA f-up FAL magazines? Once is almost a 1st world country and the other bills itself as the "masters" of the platform?  Seriously, what do these magazines do?  I'm picking up a lot of Korean FAL mag hate, but do they go into your computer and send your bank info the Nigerian prices when you try to load them past 10 rounds? Just curious....

Should I wait for MagPul to make a FAL mag?  Are Thermolds the next best thing?  All (except for 2) the mags I have are steel, and 10 of them are West German surplus....which I got for $40 in 2004? 2005?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I first bought my fal I stocked up on dsa's 30's thinking they was the best, soon after I realized they made my fal a jam-0-matic so I sold all of those pieces and stocked up on FN's and Israelis and never looked back

I also never actually heard of a dsa 20 rounder working lol

As for Koreans, every mag they make are junk :p there is a reason they are $15 new.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 1:28:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm impressed.  I see you have fall mags and you will someday release SCAR/LAR-8 mags.  Which of these will work in both my RFB +and+ the Bushmaster .308 (which is based on an earlier version of the LAR-8)?
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 1:57:30 AM EDT
[#8]
I actually have a Bushmaster BAR-10 the LAR-8 that Bushmaster made. The FAL mag will work in the LAR-8 or the RFB you will just need to sand/file or dremel the upper ribs that interfere with fitting in the deeper magwells, there are pics here on the FAL forum of both that have been modified, but it's not hard to do just takes a little bit of time to sand the ribs down. The RFB not so much time as you only have to do the very rear upper ribs that interfere in with the back of the RFB magwell.

Once modified they run great in both rifles! if you look it up on the Falfiles there are quite a few testimonials!!!!

When the Lar-8 mag comes out it should work fine in the RFB and the LAR-8 without any mods needed!

The SCAR H mag will work in the SCAR H no modifications needed.

We have already done all the R & D on these mags and are in the process of making the molds for these, we are probably still a couple months out before we release them to market.

You can look us up on you tube and see plenty of videos of the Moses mags working great modified for a SCAR -H
& LAR-8 not sure if anyone has posted vids of the RFB but I have had plenty of customers say they work great with no problems.  
There are also plenty of video's showing the Moses mag working flawlessly in FAL's!
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 12:46:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

When I first bought my fal I stocked up on dsa's 30's thinking they was the best, soon after I realized they made my fal a jam-0-matic so I sold all of those pieces and stocked up on FN's and Israelis and never looked back

As for Koreans, every mag they make are junk :p there is a reason they are $15 new.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So if I have 5 DSA 20 rounders that work, I should feel lucky? I will say they three NOT work right out of the gate.
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 8:22:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

So if I have 5 DSA 20 rounders that work, I should feel lucky? I will say they three NOT work right out of the gate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not saying your lucky or anything but you should start playing the lottery
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 10:56:11 PM EDT
[#11]
I hear great things about the Moses mag but haven't purchased any yet.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 10:25:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

When the Lar-8 mag comes out it should work fine in the RFB and the LAR-8 without any mods needed!

View Quote

When is it coming out?
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 7:26:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Not sure, mold maker had to put the making of the mag body mold on hold for a little while, due to reasons out of our control.

I am hoping in the next few months though!

We already have the mold for the component's of the mag making parts.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:11:23 AM EDT
[#14]

http://www.keepshooting.com/fn-fal-metric-20rd-magazine.htmlhttp://www.keepshooting.com/fn-fal-metric-20rd-magazine.html

Are these mags as good as they say there are?
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:15:54 AM EDT
[#15]
I have two dsa 20 rounders that work fine although they were only loaded and fired once
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 11:38:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have two dsa 20 rounders that work fine although they were only loaded and fired once
View Quote

People seem divided on the DSA mags. They either like or hate 'em.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 10:09:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

http://www.keepshooting.com/fn-fal-metric-20rd-magazine.htmlhttp://www.keepshooting.com/fn-fal-metric-20rd-magazine.html

Are these mags as good as they say there are?
View Quote

Interesting...
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 12:18:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Wow all those awesome reviews and only one bad one....

You gotta watch that.  I wrote a less than glowing review on a $500 HK scope mount (on a very well known HK website) and it never made it on the list
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 1:16:56 AM EDT
[#19]
At the last gun show, I was able to find 5 Austrian magazines, in like-new condition in cosmoline, for $25 each. These are far better than either the Korean or the DSA magazines. These Austrian mags can be recognized by the 3 witness holes, milled rather than stamped locking notch, and a tiny letter within an oval faintly stamped below the "beak."
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 8:31:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
At the last gun show, I was able to find 5 Austrian magazines, in like-new condition in cosmoline, for $25 each. These are far better than either the Korean or the DSA magazines. These Austrian mags can be recognized by the 3 witness holes, milled rather than stamped locking notch, and a tiny letter within an oval faintly stamped below the "beak."
View Quote

Thank you for detailed description.  Aside from (some) of my Israeli mags, I have not been able to ID the rest.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 7:52:29 PM EDT
[#21]
I bought 5 of the Korean mags for the heck of it. They work fine in both my FALs
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 12:44:32 AM EDT
[#22]
I picked up a couple Moses Mags a few weeks ago and haven't had a hiccup with either. I'll definitely

snag at least a few more.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 2:35:35 AM EDT
[#23]
NorWester, I still love hearing that!!!

Appreciate it!
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 11:50:35 AM EDT
[#24]
FAL Files market place usually has mags available for sale.  Like our EE.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 12:46:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Surplus  mags or Mosses mags, F*#k everything else!!

I have some Mosses mags (no relation), and as others have posted they are GTG, that guy WOULD NOT, sell those mags until they were
100%, even with everyone begging him to, I don't know him personally, but anyone who cares more about their rep than a quick dollar is a good dude.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 3:40:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Speaking of magazines that are GTG, has anyone replaced their followers with the polymer ones from DSA?
I bought a few to replace the rusty followers and worn springs in my surplus mags.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 4:28:27 PM EDT
[#27]
I stocked up on FAL mags over 10 years ago, only have 1 FAL. Now I have a Scar 17 and have been debating unloading some FAL mags to pay for the Scar mags.

http://s50.photobucket.com/user/Mbsk01/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140615_153146.jpg.html
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 10:07:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Speaking of magazines that are GTG, has anyone replaced their followers with the polymer ones from DSA?
I bought a few to replace the rusty followers and worn springs in my surplus mags.
View Quote

Some have reported the follower as a cause of binding so I would be hesitant to put them in my mags but they may work for you,
Only way to find out is to try.
DSA has lost a LOT in QC over the years in their FAL stuff, someone commented the were the go to FAL guys, you have to remember
when they started out "their" rifle's were NOS Austrian parts on a DSA receiver (made by LMT) the parts were mill issue parts QC to military spec
now that their stuff is made in house the quality isn't there. It says something that DSA has the FAL blue prints and still cant get it right
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 6:41:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I stocked up on FAL mags over 10 years ago, only have 1 FAL. Now I have a Scar 17 and have been debating unloading some FAL mags to pay for the Scar mags.

http://s50.photobucket.com/user/Mbsk01/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140615_153146.jpg.html
View Quote

Belgian FAL mags, bought by Germany, then sold as surplus. I remember when those 10-packs were $99 from Tapco, and I bought two of them. Should have bought three more...

Worth a lot of money if you find the right buyer.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 7:17:42 AM EDT
[#30]
another vote for Moses Mags, made in the USA!  I use them and they work everytime
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 12:09:17 AM EDT
[#31]
I remember when DSA would come to the SAR shows in Phoenix and sell decent steyr mags for $5 each...

Honestly, unless you are planning to use this as your goto rifle for the apocalypse, 10 good steel FAL mags will last forever.  I would stock up on SR25 or SCAR17 mags and always use them for trading if there is a ban in the future.   Not like there are a ton of new FALs entering the market driving up mag demand.  Keep an eye out and buy em when a good price presents itself.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:42:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I actually have a Bushmaster BAR-10 the LAR-8 that Bushmaster made. The FAL mag will work in the LAR-8 or the RFB you will just need to sand/file or dremel the upper ribs that interfere with fitting in the deeper magwells, there are pics here on the FAL forum of both that have been modified, but it's not hard to do just takes a little bit of time to sand the ribs down. The RFB not so much time as you only have to do the very rear upper ribs that interfere in with the back of the RFB magwell.

!
View Quote

So, is the magazine that is compatible with both the RFB and the Bushmaster BAR-10 available, yet?
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 7:47:42 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Belgian FAL mags, bought by Germany, then sold as surplus. I remember when those 10-packs were $99 from Tapco, and I bought two of them. Should have bought three more...

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

How much are we talking about? I bought two 10 packs as well

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top