Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2014 10:25:18 AM EDT
As the title states, I have an early DSA SA58 Ser # DS1XXXX !  Did these start out as a STG58 Kit with LMT upper or a complete Manufacture from barrel to stock by DSA?
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 9:28:23 PM EDT
[#1]
DS prefix means the reciever was mfg'd out of house with LMT
newer DSA prefix serial numbers are in house DSA made.
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 4:37:53 AM EDT
[#2]
They bought all the Steyr parts in inventory. They used these in the early rifles
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 9:36:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Jake,
I have three FALs all with DSA receivers.  Two are DS27XXX and one is DS37XXX.  Were all three receivers built by LMT?
Keith
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 9:08:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Jake,
I have three FALs all with DSA receivers.  Two are DS27XXX and one is DS37XXX.  Were all three receivers built by LMT?
Keith
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jake,
Keith

Yes

Non LMT receivers start with "DSAXXXXX" as Jake mentioned above.
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 9:09:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
As the title states, I have an early DSA SA58 Ser # DS1XXXX !  Did these start out as a STG58 Kit with LMT upper or a complete Manufacture from barrel to stock by DSA?
View Quote

The only way to know for sure if DSA built it is to call them and ask.

If you decide to sell it - let me know.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 10:46:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Need more information.  DS1XXXX only says that your receiver is a Type I Grayslake marked.  The ranges up to 13000 change.  Very early 10000 ranges have some Argy barrels, some carbines, some 21's.  Other ranges used NOS Steyr StLf3 barrels, some are kit guns, some are SA58's with alloy lowers, some have scrubbed FN lowers.  All will likely have a soldered 3 port muzzle brake.  Generally the BC groups were NOS Steyr or FN.  Some have ALL plastic handguards, some used NOS steel Steyr.  All depends on range, custom order, off the shelf etc...  Asking DSA will only help a little...recently they gave me some obviously wrong information on an early build.  All the people that knew what was on those early guns are looooong gone.  Post pictures, I can "usually" spot a factory gun.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 8:41:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

DSA SA58 Ser # DS15XXX! Must have an LMT receiver!

Also no ser # at all on Bolt or Bolt carrier

Link Posted: 3/2/2014 8:48:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

http://s243.photobucket.com/user/Sircas/media/20130921_113010.jpg.html
http://s243.photobucket.com/user/Sircas/media/20130921_112822.jpg.html
http://s243.photobucket.com/user/Sircas/media/20130919_133916.jpg.html
http://s243.photobucket.com/user/Sircas/media/20130919_133921.jpg.html

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://s243.photobucket.com/user/Sircas/media/20130921_113010.jpg.html
http://s243.photobucket.com/user/Sircas/media/20130921_112822.jpg.html
http://s243.photobucket.com/user/Sircas/media/20130919_133916.jpg.html
http://s243.photobucket.com/user/Sircas/media/20130919_133921.jpg.html

That looks like a factory built DSA rifle to me. I would bet the muzzle brake is silver soldered on. You should be able to see the solder around the rear of the brake if it is. Nice rifle!
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 8:58:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Gun isn't as early as I suspected.  It's a type I CHC Barrington marked SA58.  Alloy lower, soldered 3 prt brake, Steyr hand guards, Steyr lock lever, Steyr stock, DSA semi selector, DSA alloy cocking handle, Steyr gas plug.  Barrel is an unknown....must remove hand guards to see markings....  Could be Steyr, Argy or a US Badger....my guess is Badger.  BC group will likely be either FN or Steyr.  Look at proofs...# inside oval = Steyr....Letter with * and/# in small box= FN.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 9:00:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Also....pivot pin is Steyr.

Lastly, is that an inch magazine stuffed in there????  Look weird on my Iphone.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 9:51:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Also....pivot pin is Steyr.

Lastly, is that an inch magazine stuffed in there????  Look weird on my Iphone.
View Quote

It's Metric
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 9:54:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Gun isn't as early as I suspected.  It's a type I CHC Barrington marked SA58.  Alloy lower, soldered 3 prt brake, Steyr hand guards, Steyr lock lever, Steyr stock, DSA semi selector, DSA alloy cocking handle, Steyr gas plug.  Barrel is an unknown....must remove hand guards to see markings....  Could be Steyr, Argy or a US Badger....my guess is Badger.  BC group will likely be either FN or Steyr.  Look at proofs...# inside oval = Steyr....Letter with * and/# in small box= FN.
View Quote

No markings on the Bolt or Carriers can be found!
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 3:36:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally PMN aosted By nwobhm:
View Quote

Very small barely noticeable!

Bolt = oval with # 8
Carrier = oval with # 16

Steyr metal hand guards

Barrel has no visible marking
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 5:15:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Bolt & Carrier were NOS Steyr.  Unmarked barrel from that era would be a US made Badger.
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 6:46:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks nwobhm for the info!

I love the look & function of this DSA fal.

I believe I got the best of both worlds:

Kit = Original Steyr parts (Stock, Hand guards, Locking, etc - looks to be new)
New Parts = LMT Upper Receiver, Alloy Lower & New Barrel)

She is a keeper!

Link Posted: 3/6/2014 4:28:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Here's the one I bought new in the late 90's.  What can you tell me about it?  I'm no FAL expert.  These posts of "LMT" made receivers is all new to me.  S/N is DS 120xx.  
By the way, what was the name of this DS Arms post-ban 3 port brake during the Clinton ban?  It had a name, I forgot.  Used to be in Shotgun News ads all the time.
THANKS

Link Posted: 3/6/2014 4:34:40 PM EDT
[#17]
It just has standard lettering, not the stylized logo like the OP's photo.

Link Posted: 3/6/2014 6:30:38 PM EDT
[#18]

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=322976

Post number #45 if anyone is interested.
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 7:27:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Kisara,  Congratulations!  You have the holy grail of DSA kit guns.  Early LMT manufactured DSA Grayslake marked type I receiver with NOS Steyr StLf3 marked barrel and Steyr BC group.  It does not get better than this in the metric kit gun world.  

Link Posted: 3/6/2014 7:31:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Go search my posts on the Falfiles and find my tutorial on removing the DSA brakes.  Very easy with a pipe cutter, screw driver and Dremel.  No heat needed.  You have an outstanding rifle there....NEVER screw around with that barrel.....it is extremely rare in NOS form in the US not to mention very valuable.
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 10:58:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Go search my posts on the Falfiles and find my tutorial on removing the DSA brakes.  Very easy with a pipe cutter, screw driver and Dremel.  No heat needed.  You have an outstanding rifle there....NEVER screw around with that barrel.....it is extremely rare in NOS form in the US not to mention very valuable.
View Quote

Do you have pics you can post over here?
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 7:37:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Sigh.....found it.....unfortunately the site crashed not long ago and all the pictures were deleted....sigh.....looks like the StG is active.

SA58:

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=359810&highlight=Debanning

StG58:

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367195&highlight=Brake

Link Posted: 3/18/2014 9:40:55 AM EDT
[#23]
I had a DS10xxx Grayslake factory built 21" FAL years ago.

It came from the factory thusly (IIRC):

Type I CHC Receiver
21" Non-Bipod Cut (Chrome Lined / No Markings) Barrel
Three Port Cylindrical Brake
STEEL Lower (Non-Serialized)

The selector failed years later, and DSA overnighted a replacement.  This was a "lifetime warranty" gun in spite of having a steel lower.  DSA told me it was "NOS" parts and therefore covered under their "New Parts Gun / Lifetime" policy.

It was one of my favorite DSA rifles ever.  However, that brake was an ear ringer!

ETA: I don't remember any part having a marking other than the Upper.  Its been a long time though...

Link Posted: 3/21/2014 12:18:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It was one of my favorite DSA rifles ever.  However, that brake was an ear ringer!
View Quote

Yes, it was pretty loud.  Anyone nearby at the range hated being near me, and it just reminded me of something I totally forgot.  I was shooting another rifle when some kid took the lane to the left of me and started sending AR15 brass flying into me.  After his 3rd magazine of rapid fire, I got the SA58 out of my car's trunk and loaded up one mag.  One mag was all it took to send him packing...
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 4:56:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yes, it was pretty loud.  Anyone nearby at the range hated being near me, and it just reminded me of something I totally forgot.  I was shooting another rifle when some kid took the lane to the left of me and started sending AR15 brass flying into me.  After his 3rd magazine of rapid fire, I got the SA58 out of my car's trunk and loaded up one mag.  One mag was all it took to send him packing...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had an Egyptian Hakim (8mm semi-auto derivative of the Ljungman).  Anyway, that rifle was PAINFULLY loud.  It went to the range with me to drive people away.  It was sold years ago, but now that I have a SCAR (with PWS's sound ENHANCER screwed on the end of the barrel) it does the same job.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top