Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2011 10:33:12 PM EDT
So I lucked into a steal of a deal on a norinco M14S a few weeks ago. I had always thought I would go with a FAL if I got a BR. But I couldn't pass up trading a $500 AK for a nice M14 clone. Rifle needed a new FH, and firing pin. So for under 600 I got an M14. But now I am trying to decide what to do with it. Still want an FAL, but now way I can get both. M14 would have to go to free up the cash.
  So what could a basic full size FAL do better than my M14? How much accuracy would I be losing? Not looking for MOA groups, but hits on a 12" plate out to 500, or 600 would be nice (would a 16" be to short?). Are their any FALs worth having that would be a fair trade for this rifle? Also who should I avoid (other than century)? Metric or inch? If anyone has a basic primer on FALs I could read that would be great! Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 7/20/2011 12:35:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Any headspace issues with the m14?

If I had to grab one or the other running out the door, I would grab the FAL.

But then, what are we talking? A DSA FAL vs Norinco m14? DSA vs Sprfld? Or are you thinking a Century Franken FAL vs the Norinco?

Tuff choice but this board seems to lean m14 from what I have seen but I'm not sure when it comes to the chinese versions.
Link Posted: 7/20/2011 12:53:45 AM EDT
[#2]
I have run bout a 100 rounds down the tube, and it hasn't had any issues. Brass comes out looking like the bullet had just been pulled. And it groups bout an inch and a half at 50m off hand (I probably couldn't do this again to save my life). Have shot it at 200 at a plate from prone, and hit it every time I didn't screw it up. It has a USGI stock, with the original butt plate, and a US FH as well.
 Was looking at a used DSA standard rifle or carbine (no idea what a used one goes for). Maybe a Enterprise, but I have herd they are hit and miss. Better than a CIA, but not as good as DSA.
Have thought of going with a DPMS classic .308 as well.
M14 type rifles just look like they could be a money pit. I know I will want to run a scope on it. And then I keep seeing pics of the mil DMRs, and I can just see all my money going into having this rifle rebuild by someone.
Scoping this rifle looks like it could be a pain in the ass/wallet. Also don't like the standard wood stocks profile. An that would be even more money ($600 stocks!! HOLY %*^&%&!!!).
Link Posted: 7/20/2011 3:06:24 AM EDT
[#3]
There have been numerous threads on this topic over the years.  It all boils down to the shooter preference.  Both platforms have their pluses and minuses.  M14s/M1A generally have better triggers and are slightly more accurate than a run of the mill FAL.  They definitely beat the FAL in the sights department.  Magazine prices used to go to the FAL but lately they have been spiraling upward into M14 territory so that is basically a wash.  FAL are easier to field strip and clean and much easier to build yourself with the right tools.  Don't have to worry about bedding the stock to maintain accuracy on the FAL but there are very good aftermarket stocks for the M14 that obviate that requirement.   My advise, shoot them both and keep the one you shoot best.  They are both very good platforms.
Link Posted: 7/20/2011 5:25:25 AM EDT
[#4]
If your M1A was a Polytech, I'd say keep it.  If you keep the Norinco, buy a GI parts set to replace everything that goes out of spec. because they will.  You might get lucky and have the receiver go out of spec too.  If you can trade up to a Springfield or quality FAL, you'll be ahead.
Link Posted: 7/20/2011 12:27:48 PM EDT
[#5]
The norinco is supposed to have one of the best made receivers you can get. And I haven't read anything bad about the trigger groups, or barrels. Just the bolts, and some rear sights (got luck with mine). I don't think I would trade mine for a Springfield. They seem to be the bushmasters of M14s. Not bad, but with some issues. Were LRB, Smith, and rebuilt Chinese are the Colts, LMT, and Sabre. May just take it to a gun show and see what happens.
Link Posted: 7/21/2011 4:05:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The norinco is supposed to have one of the best made receivers you can get. And I haven't read anything bad about the trigger groups, or barrels. Just the bolts, and some rear sights (got luck with mine). I don't think I would trade mine for a Springfield. They seem to be the bushmasters of M14s. Not bad, but with some issues. Were LRB, Smith, and rebuilt Chinese are the Colts, LMT, and Sabre. May just take it to a gun show and see what happens.

That's what everyone says on the intardnet...especially the guys that don't own them.  I had an acquaintance that has one and eventually everything but the receiver was replaced with GI parts.  The trigger group got so rotten it'd double and triple.  I haven't replaced anything on My Springfield except the front sight for an NM version and a flash hider with the bayonet lug.  Do what you think...it's your rifle.
Link Posted: 7/21/2011 4:14:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Hadn't herd anything bad bout the trigger groups till now. But the guys over at m14forum.com said the barrels were good, and as a bonus chrome lined. Also said nothing wrong with the trigger group. An so far mine is nice. IDK. Think I will just sell it, and buy an FAL, or another AR-15. Maybe an AK. IDK. Just don't want a big project gun right now. If I though just adding a scope would do it I would keep it. But just not a fan of a stock M14.
Link Posted: 7/21/2011 9:17:25 AM EDT
[#8]
I have 3 Fal's Stg58, L1A1, and a Izzy HB. Also I have a M14s Norinco reciever, the rest of it is TRW NM parts. The Norinco makes one of the best receivers around. The bolt was the problem. Also the stock was not great, but they are really good shooters if you replace the bolt.

Standard AR15 reply.....Keep both.......

Link Posted: 7/21/2011 9:17:32 AM EDT
[#9]
I would go for the FAL (metric). So far after 3000 rounds on my Imbel on imbel kit rifle I have only broken the original Firing pin and BHO. Other than that the rifle has fired through anything I could find to feed it. From crap steel cased barnual and wolf to high end surplus. It has evolved into a 16.5 in barrel para folder and still doesn't care what I feed it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2011 12:09:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Sell Chi-com M14 clone and build or buy an FAL.
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 4:18:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Accuracy-wise an Fal should be able to do what you want it to.  I would buy a dsa metric Fal from aimsurplus.com for $999 and sell the norinco.  I think they're still in stock, last I checked 2 weeks ago they had 7 of them, I wish I had the money...
Link Posted: 7/23/2011 8:57:53 PM EDT
[#12]
As a certified FAL-a-holic, my advice would be to keep whichever rifle you really like.  Seriously, the Norinco M14s is fine if you replace the bolt with a GI one.  That is the only part that I have actually seen evidence of being weak on the rifle.  If you like it, keep it.  I like the M14 sights over pretty much any other service rifle.  I like the FAL ergonomics, balance, and handling.  I have not seen that either design is more reliable or durable than the other.   The FAL has a dust cover over the action which the M14 lacks.  But the M14 bolt kinda-sorta makes it's own dust cover.  If you really drench it in mud, it'll get in the action.  
It used to be that FAL parts and mags were very inexpensive.  The cheap ones have dried up, and now mags and some parts are getting closer to M14 prices.
Link Posted: 7/23/2011 10:18:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Ive thought of getting rid of my M1A for a FAL . but want it to be 18" barrel so its same or clsoe to my M1A scout . But no stickies on the difference between metric and inch etc
Link Posted: 7/24/2011 4:19:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Church,

Have you ever shot a Fal? If Not you might want to find someone that has one that you can shoot,  befor you sell/trade the Norinco.

The Ergonomics of the Fal are different enough from the M14s that the rifle maybe uncomfortable for you to shoot it much.

I can shoot my Norinco all day long but both of my Fals give me a little cheek slap, Nothing horrible but spending all day at the range shooting the Fals I'll notice my face is a little sore from it.

Never had that issue with the Norinco.

My Norinco M14s

My SBR Fal in Izzy furniture

I also have an STG58 but until today I didn't know that I didn't have any pics of it, if i get time today I'll fix it
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 6:48:36 AM EDT
[#15]
I love both and have both but prefer the M14 its a bit more accurate but I love the FAL ergonomics..so I put my M14 in a pistol gripped stock.
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 7:15:22 AM EDT
[#16]
I hope you're happy. Because you could not make up your mind, I went and bought me another FAL.......

Link Posted: 7/29/2011 10:35:14 AM EDT
[#17]
I had an M14 and several FN FALs. Now I only have the FN FALs. The M14 is nice but the FNs fit me better. One of the FNs was  used in a rifle class that fired over 1100 rounds and I didn't notice any discomfort caused by the stock.  Usually when I take people out to fire one of the FNs they say that they can't believe it doesn't kick more.  I would foire one first before you buy one because some people just hate the sights on the FN FALs.
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 11:16:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Got booth, Rather have the FAL. I have both Springfield M1A's and DSA FAL's  I like the FAl better as it is much more comfortable to shoot and carry. More reliable.
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 12:33:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Yea the FAL has definately less felt recoil maybe cause its an inline design with a pistol grip?my M14 in t he pistol gripped stock while I have more control and its doesnt kick as much its still more than the FAL.
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 7:00:54 PM EDT
[#20]
I just traded a scott today for an AR10. I really like the M14 but I'm getting older and I need guns that can take optics easily cause teh Irons just don't work for me anymore..  I liek the FAL as well as it can be scopped easy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top