Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/25/2017 3:35:04 PM EDT
I have never had to loosen one before but apparently the one on my Winchester backed itself out somewhere.

I have a spare gas cylinder (it's a POS that came off a drill rifle) that has the screw in it but I'll be damned if I can get either an SAE or metric allen wrench to fit it.

So, it it a special "Garand only" wrench or what?

This is the screw on the back of the front sight that you would loosen to drift the front sight.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 3:44:02 PM EDT
[#1]
3/16 is the size that works on all my Garands sights.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 5:38:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
3/16 is the size that works on all my Garands sights.
View Quote

Thank you sir.  That was the closest one I had tried but didn't want to bugger anything up.

Apparently it already is.  I lightly tapped the allen wrench in and it came right out.

The one on the rifle had not back out, it had broken off in the sight, so I moved the entire sight over to the rifle from the spare part.

Got it somewhat tight but gonna try to find a screw that the wrench more readily fits.

Probably got one around here somewhere.  I have had a few Garands but down to one Winchester now.  Couple of years ago gave my grandson a Winchester, SA, IHC, and an H&R that looks like it has never seen a round.

Thanks.
    Link Posted: 6/25/2017 7:53:49 PM EDT
    [#3]
    I have one like that too. Wrench fits a little loose and I should probably replace it.
    Link Posted: 6/25/2017 11:46:12 PM EDT
    [#4]
    you can get front sight screws at any decent hardware store that has a fasteners selection for about 35 cents.

its a 1/4 x 28  cap screw
    Link Posted: 6/26/2017 7:26:28 AM EDT
    [#5]
    Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
    Quoted:
    you can get front sight screws at any decent hardware store that has a fasteners selection for about 35 cents.

its a 1/4 x 28  cap screw
    View Quote
    Good info.  I will take a look at Lowes near here.

BTW, you wouldn't happen to know the same info for the corresponding screw on an M14, would you?  It's a bit smaller.
    Link Posted: 6/26/2017 1:02:41 PM EDT
    [#6]
    Half inch  8-36 I think.
    Link Posted: 6/26/2017 4:37:28 PM EDT
    [#7]
    If you want USGI front screws there are some on EE for $3 each, both earlier WWII and later style
    Link Posted: 6/26/2017 9:01:05 PM EDT
    [#8]
    This site has front sight screw with pictures of the different types used http://www.ammogarand.com/m1garandparts.html almost at bottom of the page.
    Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
    Top Top