Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2017 10:26:10 PM EDT
CMP has some Field Grade Garands for $830.

They are refurbished. I want a shooter and don't really care about matching parts. I know they refurbish the gun and put on a new barrel. The receiver will have pitting. Anybody have any pics of these types of rifles?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:56:43 AM EDT
[#1]
There are pics out there, but there is such a huge variance in receiver pitting that it really won't help you much.  Some are pretty rough and some look nearly perfect.  It is a reparked rifle with a new barrel and stock.  If you just want a shooter, it is the best deal you are likely to find.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:23:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There are pics out there, but there is such a huge variance in receiver pitting that it really won't help you much.  Some are pretty rough and some look nearly perfect.  It is a reparked rifle with a new barrel and stock.  If you just want a shooter, it is the best deal you are likely to find.
View Quote
I can't find any pics of the refurbished field grades. Just Field grades. Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 2:45:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I can't find any pics of the refurbished field grades. Just Field grades. Thanks.
View Quote
You're using the wrong search term.  Use "Field Grade Special" in google instead.  

And as has already been said, the variation in pitting/damage to the receiver is so wide it's almost pointless to look up pics.  
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:04:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Go down a few threads I posted pictures a few weeks back. If there is any pitting I had to look with a dam flashlight and magnify glass.

Edit: Last Pic removed wrong M1.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:24:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Certainly a nice rifle for $830 and you won't find a better deal for a shooter M1, but I can still see slight pitting.  Just don't expect a flawless rifle.  I have seen pics of rifles with far more pitting than the picture above.  That appears to be a really nice example if this grade and certainly at the top with only a little visible pitting.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:43:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Certainly a nice rifle for $830 and you won't find a better deal for a shooter M1, but I can still see slight pitting.  Just don't expect a flawless rifle.  I have seen pics of rifles with far more pitting than the picture above.  That appears to be a really nice example if this grade and certainly at the top with only a little visible pitting.
View Quote
agreed, I've seen some that have much worse surface pitting.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:03:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
agreed, I've seen some that have much worse surface pitting.
View Quote
This is a SG

Attachment Attached File

This is SFG $830

It is a great rifle I'm happy I made this purchase. I stripped her down and examined her really carefully like a women going over every inch of her with my bare hands feeling for anything. After I got a boner realizing how much of a great score I made, I cant wait to take her on another date to the range.

Brought her out to the range 100+/- yds. shooting Greek HXP and was flawless in and around the black nice groupings with a few stray shots sighting her in.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 5:15:43 PM EDT
[#8]
It looks like they refinish it, eh?  I guess that's part of the refurb?

Ah, I see someone said they repark them.  I personally wouldn't give a crap about the pitting.  I really wouldn't give a crap about it being refinished or not either though.  I mean they're old guns.  Some saw hard use.  They're not going to be perfect.  But why should they be?  If they work..... that's all that matters.  To me at least.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 12:47:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It looks like they refinish it, eh?  I guess that's part of the refurb?

Ah, I see someone said they repark them.  I personally wouldn't give a crap about the pitting.  I really wouldn't give a crap about it being refinished or not either though.  I mean they're old guns.  Some saw hard use.  They're not going to be perfect.  But why should they be?  If they work..... that's all that matters.  To me at least.
View Quote
I don't mind some putting but I don't want to buy a refinished garand that looks like the surface of the moon.

A little more putting than the pics above and I'm okay with that.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:32:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Here's mine. It has some slight pitting under the wood line and a small spot on top of the receiver just behind the top handguard. It's flawless otherwise.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 2:00:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I don't mind some putting but I don't want to buy a refinished garand that looks like the surface of the moon.

A little more putting than the pics above and I'm okay with that.
View Quote
I hear ya.  I personally have never seen one that was pitted THAT bad.  But maybe it's cuz those guns didn't get sold from the CMP or those receivers were rejected at one time or another and now they're using up whatever they got.  

Anyways....  I say as long as it works and is safe, a bit of imperfection is expected.  But yeah, I guess it would be annoying if it looked like the surface of the moon as you say.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 2:00:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Here's mine. It has some slight pitting under the wood line and a small spot on top of the receiver just behind the top handguard. It's flawless otherwise.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/423581/IMG-0714-240442.JPG
View Quote
Love the O3 in the scant stock.  I put my 03A3 in one and have yet to shoot it that way.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 11:43:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Love the O3 in the scant stock.  I put my 03A3 in one and have yet to shoot it that way.
View Quote
It's my favorite bolt guns for sure. The action is smooth as silk and it's a good shooter, but I'm meh on the scant stock honestly. Springfield armory circa 1911. The M1 dates to 1954 I think it's a springer too.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:33:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Are you meh about the stock in comparison to a Straight or C stock?  I would love a C stock but they are so expensive.  The straights are just a bit awkward to shoot.  IMHO.  But I kind of dig how they look.  Scants are the ugliest of all of them, IMHO, but I think it feels better than a straight.  

About the action.  My step Dad passed away and my Mom moved in with me.  And she brought my Step Dad's Sporterized Mauser.  Well I got it cleaned up and I was kind of scratching my head as to how much harder the action is to work then the 03.  I thought maybe it was just dry and needed some lube but I read online that Mauser actions are kind of known for that.  

Anyways....  The 03A3 can be cycled pretty quickly and easily.  Maybe not like an Enfield.  But I wouldn't know.  I've never shot one.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 7:11:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/423581/IMG-0714-240442.JPG
View Quote
Really nice pair of Old School steel & wood right there!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top