Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2017 9:38:18 PM EDT
I picked this Underwood up at cabelas last week for $360($260 after points). From what I could find, the serial number puts it at 1942/43. It is missing its rear sight and the front sight has been replaced.

Did I do okay on the price?

Should I try to replace the sights?

Is there any commercial ammo I should avoid?

Any idea on where I should source magazines?

Thank you in advance!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:53:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Great deal IMHO
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:56:27 PM EDT
[#2]
That was a smoking deal . There is ammo out there in brown boxes marked LC 53 in blue writing that is Chinese . It works and is usually non corrosive
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 11:32:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Bubba needs a beating.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:04:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Can you post some close up pics of the scope mount?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 2:26:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bubba needs a beating.
View Quote
I agree
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 2:27:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That was a smoking deal . There is ammo out there in brown boxes marked LC 53 in blue writing that is Chinese . It works and is usually non corrosive
View Quote
I'll keep my eyes open for that stuff.

Thank you!!!
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 3:19:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I agree
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bubba needs a beating.
I agree
Well, at least they priced it accordingly.  PLUS, looks like he could have some fun and scope it.

Looks like you got yourself a M-1 Carbine special sniper gun.   LOL.  You got it for a very good price.  How is that mount attached at the front?  Is there a screw or is the rear channel the only real attachment point?  

Either way you can take the mount off and make it an irons shooter.  I would almost think it would be kind of fun to mount a retro scope on there and see what kind of accuracy you can get scoped.  They are not typically super duper accurate, but I've never shot mine with any kind of optic on there.

Your front sight is not proper either.   I'm not sure if that can be reversed.  Your stock is really nice.  It's interesting to see the push button safety in light of it being overhauled at some point.  (bayo lug)
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:56:36 PM EDT
[#8]
take and post closer pictures of that shitty scope mount for us. sounds like a good deal and I'm wondering if it can be put back to original fairly easily.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:56:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
take and post closer pictures of that shitty scope mount for us. sounds like a good deal and I'm wondering if it can be put back to original fairly easily.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:02:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Drill and tapping for scope mount hurts, from looks of front sight the bbl has most likely been drilled and tapped too.

I would have passed on $360 too much wrong.

As long as the barrel still has front sight key slot and hasn't been shortened you could bring it back by installing GI rear sight and front sight, will set you back another $75-100 in parts.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:41:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Drill and tapping for scope mount hurts, from looks of front sight the bbl has most likely been drilled and tapped too.

I would have passed on $360 too much wrong.

As long as the barrel still has front sight key slot and hasn't been shortened you could bring it back by installing GI rear sight and front sight, will set you back another $75-100 in parts.
View Quote
Thank you for the input. Anywhere specific I should go for the parts?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:18:23 AM EDT
[#12]
FFS, why not put a decent 3-9x on it, and enjoy wringing the best groups ever out of a carbine?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:32:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
FFS, why not put a decent 3-9x on it, and enjoy wringing the best groups ever out of a carbine?
View Quote
I figured out what rings I need and I have a scope to throw on. So I am going to try this first. Most likely will be shooting it tomorrow.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:01:33 PM EDT
[#14]
For that price I wouldn't worry about the drilling and tap as long as I can reinstall the original sites.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:30:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Value is always a tricky subject.
Value on a M1 carbine is a combination of condition of the whole rifle (like any other rifle) from the standpoint of its value as a shooter . How does it operate,condition of the barrel, trigger , stock and the amount of wear.

Then added to this is the historical value . This would include who made it and if all the parts are correct to that brand and year .

Once somebody starts drilling and taping for different sights most of the collectors don't want to know anything about it unless it happens to have some rare desiriable parts on it.

At the OPs price he has still got a OK gun.  If the overall condition is ok he has a great fun shooter , his choice of tossing a optic on it or trying to return it to original type sights (which are excelent by the way).

Generally any 15 rd mag you see around are original type and will work fine . Many (all?) of the 30rd are copies or aftermarket and can be hit or miss.

Even during WWII all M1 carbine ammo was non corrosive and this is one of the reasons carbines generally are still found in good overall shape.

At some point China was making conterfit "LC" ammo and I have heard that was corrosive . Don't really have the facts on that.

Points to ponder-  The gun might have sold for $40-$50 or less on the used surplus market in 1960 and the guy who put the scope mount on it was likely very proud of himself . Un-molested a similar gun could be worth $600-$900 today.  If Cabellas was selling it for $300+ they likely gave some widow $120 for it
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:17:15 PM EDT
[#16]
My guess is if you parted it out you could get somewhere around 3 bills.  Flat bolt, nice stock, push button safety, USGI trigger group....  

Can you show an up close picture of the front sight?  Top looking down?  I have a feeling that new sight is soldered on and who knows what they did to the channel then.  www.billricca.com is a good place for USGI parts.   I wouldn't go buying a front sight unless I knew I could reverse what's been done.  

Otherwise, a scoped Carbine would be a freaking fun gun to shoot.   Would be good for small game up to hogs and really, even Deer.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:46:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My guess is if you parted it out you could get somewhere around 3 bills.  Flat bolt, nice stock, push button safety, USGI trigger group....  

Can you show an up close picture of the front sight?  Top looking down?  I have a feeling that new sight is soldered on and who knows what they did to the channel then.  www.billricca.com is a good place for USGI parts.   I wouldn't go buying a front sight unless I knew I could reverse what's been done.  

Otherwise, a scoped Carbine would be a freaking fun gun to shoot.   Would be good for small game up to hogs and really, even Deer.
View Quote
The parts alone are worth about $500 not counting the barrel and receiver. It was a good deal. I would have snatched it up and built up one of the Plainfield receivers I have lying around using the parts.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 5:11:18 PM EDT
[#18]
There you go.  I guess I was being overly conservative.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 10:27:56 AM EDT
[#19]
I found some leupold standard rings and I had an old Japanese made 4x that I think will work for now:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 1:23:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Looks good.  Post groups!

And post that in the C&R forum.  
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:07:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I found some leupold standard rings and I had an old Japanese made 4x that I think will work for now:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/224310/image-238452.JPG
View Quote
oh yeah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top