Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/8/2017 7:11:49 AM EDT
Mailed order on 5/27. Received rifle 6/5. Field grade M1D. Springfield 2.2 mil receiver, SA 7-51 barrel. IHC bolt, Mixed SA and HRA parts in the trigger group, SA op rod. And the stock is bedded.  I'm going to use a reproduction ring and M84 scope on it.

More pics to follow, but here are some interesting ones.

My eleven year old may already be laying claim to it. (He's already done his 60 push ups to correct the trigger finger placement)

And rolled up in the butt, but unfortunately the rifle serial number listed doesn't match my rifle. The stock, although real shiny, does have two holes from cheek pad screws.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 7:22:03 AM EDT
[#1]
nice
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 8:29:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice rifle!
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 10:27:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Repro M84 and mount ordered from Numrich.  Can't wait to put some rounds through this thing.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 7:24:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had mine since ~1993.  It came with a complete kit.  I haven't yet fired it, not even once.  
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:43:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Repro M84 and mount ordered from Numrich.  Can't wait to put some rounds through this thing.  
View Quote
I wish I had caught this earlier... the repros are reported as crap, hopefully yours are solid and give you no problems. IIRC the repro mounts are the biggest problem. good luck and enjoy your CMP M1D... I sure love mine!
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 12:21:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I wish I had caught this earlier... the repros are reported as crap, hopefully yours are solid and give you no problems. IIRC the repro mounts are the biggest problem. good luck and enjoy your CMP M1D... I sure love mine!
View Quote
The scopes are fine other than some internal paint flaking. The mounts are usually the issue.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 6:39:46 AM EDT
[#7]
CMP forum has several tips on how to make the repro mounts repeatable.  I figure for $60 it's worth a try.  

The scope came in yesterday.  It seems well made.  (And should be decent for $250.00)  I'll keep my eyes open for an authentic M84 and mount, but at least the repros will give me an opportunity to shoot it as a M1D now.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 2:10:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Oooooh, I'd like to see pics of the M84 and mount.  How much does the M84 go for?    And BTW, super nice Garand you got there.  WOW!!!!

Link Posted: 6/16/2017 2:54:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Numrich has the best price I've seen on the M84- $250.  

Mount from them was $67.  

There are reports of the mount quality ranging from needing just ever so slightly filed on the locator pin and/or the end of the screw to complete junk.  Or you can buy a USGI mount for $500.  I'm taking my chances on the $67 mount.  I figure if I get one that's junk, I'll send it back for exchange.

About 4 days ago, a guy posted on CMP forum a M1D for sale.  The serial number of his rifle matches the paper that was rolled up in my buttstock.  Needle in a haystack kind of thing!  If anyone has the M84 serial # 39066, I know where the rifle is.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 3:17:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice looking rifle.  

The one wet blanket aspect is you have a stock that was bedded to some other rifle.  Kind of sloppy on their part that for the Price they can't keep them together.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 3:25:41 PM EDT
[#11]
A USGI mount and scope will cost more than the rifle.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 4:50:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
True, but if you see how much dudes spend on glass for their AR's.....  How much does an Elcan go for?  Or Nightforce?
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 7:39:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Nice looking rifle.  

The one wet blanket aspect is you have a stock that was bedded to some other rifle.  Kind of sloppy on their part that for the Price they can't keep them together.
View Quote
Turns out what I thought may have been "lightly bedded" was actually just varnish build up.  

I don't know why or when the stock set was varnished, but since it came from CMP that way, I'm going to leave it as-is.

Repro M1d mount came Saturday.  Took some fitting, and an aluminum shim, but it's tight now.  It will probably be a couple weeks before I can zero and put some rounds through it.  The real test on the repro mount will be to see if it holds zero under recoil.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 2:01:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Very Very very cool.  I wish I could figure out how to mount a scope on my 03A3....   S and K used to have a mount that mounted to the mag cut off channel when you remove that, but I never see them any longer.  I have a nice Weaver K4 I could put on it or one of these would be sweeeeet.  I wouldn't mind one of these on my M1A either.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 5:21:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
depends on how lucky you get... I got a USGI scope and mount off ebay for $850 (okay okay... I stole it at that price).

OP I hope she shoots like a dream, they are fun as hell and definitely grab attention at the range. I would suggest screwing in the cheek pad vs just tying it on. I had to drill my stock in order to screw it in but it made a huge difference. Trying to find information on shooting with the M84 scope is a bitch, you're using the top post, not cross hair center which is easy to forget when shooting and enough to piss you off when you cant figure out why your grouping sucks.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 12:00:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Wow, very nice.  You guys need some AP for them snipers.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 12:42:20 AM EDT
[#17]
That's the first picture I've seen of one of their M1D's. If I spent the money and received that I'd be thrilled.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 7:34:43 AM EDT
[#18]
I put some rounds through it last week.  The rifle shoots great- with the irons.  The mount worked loose in short order.  I haven't revisited it yet to see what else I can do to try to make the repro mount usable.  Disappointing, as the M84 repro seems like a real nice scope.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 11:48:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I put some rounds through it last week.  The rifle shoots great- with the irons.  The mount worked loose in short order.  I haven't revisited it yet to see what else I can do to try to make the repro mount usable.  Disappointing, as the M84 repro seems like a real nice scope.
View Quote
Would a small lock washer and blue Loctite help? Had a hell of a time with the grip on my Contender(.45-70) working loose until I did these. Maybe take a hair off the length of the screw? If it's bottoming out in the hole as it seems to get tight, it's -just a bit-too long. You think it's tight but there's a tiny bit of play, that lets it get looser.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 2:34:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Would a small lock washer and blue Loctite help? Had a hell of a time with the grip on my Contender(.45-70) working loose until I did these. Maybe take a hair off the length of the screw? If it's bottoming out in the hole as it seems to get tight, it's -just a bit-too long. You think it's tight but there's a tiny bit of play, that lets it get looser.
View Quote
there's no room for a lock washer on those mounts, the mount has a single large screw that you tighten by hand. The inside face of the nob has slots that are supposed to catch on a spring loaded pin to prevent it from moving.

OP check to see if full contact is made between the mount and the mounting block on the barrel.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 3:42:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for the tips, guys.

Using my caliper to measure, it doesn't appear the screw is bottoming out the hole in the barrel block.  I've seen a few guys on the CMP forum recommend a washer between the knob and the mount.  This didn't appear to be what mine needs, but after looking at it harder, it's a possibility that the detent in the mount, that contacts the indentations in the back side of the knob, is bottoming out, not allowing the knob to fully tighten.  I may try a thin washer here, with a section cut out to allow the detent to still contact the inside of the knob.  

It was obvious that there was some vertical play in the mount, which is why I used a little shim to tighten it up.  But after firing a few rounds, the movement appeared to be more horizontal than vertical-  I may need to shim both surfaces.  I just haven't messed with it yet.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 8:44:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Attempt #2 at making the repro mount work seems successful.  I slid a 5/16" flat washer between the mount and the inside of the thumb screw.  It's tight now, and I was able to zero it with minimal adjustment to the scope.  It also appears to hold tight now.  

I attached the repro cheek pad with screws to the holes already in the stock, and even though cheek weld is still a stretch, this rifle is a ball to shoot.  After zeroing at 100, I shot steel out to 250.  I figure after another couple range trips I'll shoot paper again to see how well this rifle shoots and confirm zero hasn't shifted.

Link Posted: 11/7/2017 9:34:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Mailed order on 5/27. Received rifle 6/5. Field grade M1D. Springfield 2.2 mil receiver, SA 7-51 barrel. IHC bolt, Mixed SA and HRA parts in the trigger group, SA op rod. And the stock is bedded.  I'm going to use a reproduction ring and M84 scope on it.

More pics to follow, but here are some interesting ones.
http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL615/4020916/24016632/413392941.jpg

My eleven year old may already be laying claim to it. (He's already done his 60 push ups to correct the trigger finger placement)
http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL615/4020916/24016632/413392942.jpg

And rolled up in the butt, but unfortunately the rifle serial number listed doesn't match my rifle. The stock, although real shiny, does have two holes from cheek pad screws.
http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL615/4020916/24016632/413392943.jpg
View Quote

That is proper trigger finger placement for an M-1. Push forward, off safe, pull trigger.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 3:17:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Looks good. I have a repo M1D I bough locally with a original M1D scope and mount. My serial is 22602 anyone have this one?
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 8:59:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Attempt #2 at making the repro mount work seems successful.  I slid a 5/16" flat washer between the mount and the inside of the thumb screw.  It's tight now, and I was able to zero it with minimal adjustment to the scope.  It also appears to hold tight now.  

I attached the repro cheek pad with screws to the holes already in the stock, and even though cheek weld is still a stretch, this rifle is a ball to shoot.  After zeroing at 100, I shot steel out to 250.  I figure after another couple range trips I'll shoot paper again to see how well this rifle shoots and confirm zero hasn't shifted.

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL615/4020916/23612160/413637407.jpg
http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL615/4020916/23612160/413636115.jpg
View Quote
Good luck!   CMP markets the M1Cs and M1Ds for competitive use in the CMP Vintage Sniper Matches where you're shooting at targets at 300 and 600 yds from either prone and slung in, or off a sandbag rest (shooter's choice).

Virtually all the M1Ds I've seen in the Sniper matches at Camp Perry required work to stabilize that Chi-Com crap mount to consistently hold zero. CMP knew they had problems initially when selling the M1Ds with these mounts and there were A LOT of complaints from users about them posted on the CMP board, although the hyper-anal mods there deleted most of them.

Supposedly CMP is using a "better" Repo mount now on the M1Ds that will hold zero, ... but we'll see.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 10:17:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Very nice job.  I like that birch stock especially the striping on the hand guard.

I kind of want an M1C.   I will never get one though.   Not drilling a good receiver and not spending the coin for an original.   If I stumbled on a M1C that got plugged and rebuilt as a standard I would maybe restore it with repro stuff.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 10:52:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Very nice, OP!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top