Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/30/2017 5:22:03 PM EDT
In honor of Memorial day we shot guns today with a friend that was up from Texas.  I resisted the urge to shoot my AR and went with just Wood and steel.  Well that's not completely true, since my M1A is in a synthetic stock....  But nevertheless a great day with lots of fun.  

My friend and I ended the day with a 15 round 100 yard contest.  5 from the bench (we just had a front rest, no rear), 5 kneeling and 5 prone for score.  My first 5 were high because we were zero'd at 25 and I didn't know how low to hold...  But the first 5 were in a group of just a hair over 3".  Not bad for Portugese surplus, my eyes and irons and just bagged on the front.    I got a 90 and my friend got a 72.  But he had never shot an M1A before.  He does have a Garand but we'll chalk it up to, not his gun.  He did shoot my Model 19 revolver really well.  

I was really proud of those 3 in the 10 ring.  2 were from kneeling and 1 from prone.  Only 13 shots on that target.  I guess I whiffed 2 shots.

Anyone else do some Memorial day, Military gun shooting?  Or any kind of Memorial day shooting?  I'd love to see pics......
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 10:53:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I spent the last 3days in vt backpacking with the wife. Today we did some shooting. She shot her AR while I shot my M1.

I didn't shoot my 1911 but I did scrub the rust off after a few days in the rain

Good reminder why AL beats steal
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 11:06:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I spent the day cleaning and doing preventive maintenance on my Garands.  

WWII specimens - Pearl Harbor Day (December, 1941)  and VE Day (May, 1945)

Korean War specimen - M1D (DCM gun, unfired)
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 12:44:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I spent the last 3days in vt backpacking with the wife. Today we did some shooting. She shot her AR while I shot my M1.

I didn't shoot my 1911 but I did scrub the rust off after a few days in the rain

Good reminder why AL beats steal
View Quote
That sounds like fun!!!!!  

Yeah, I remember my hunting rifles that were blued I always had to rub down at the end of the day.  But the year I took my Garand hunting, I don't recall the parked steel getting rusty.  Maybe it was less humid.  There was snow though.....  But I do remember it being sunny those few days I took it.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 12:49:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I spent the day cleaning and doing preventive maintenance on my Garands.  

WWII specimens - Pearl Harbor Day (December, 1941)  and VE Day (May, 1945)

Korean War specimen - M1D (DCM gun, unfired)
View Quote
I did a little bit of that myself on Sunday.  Except one of them was a Sporterized German Mauser and I felt......  wrong.   But it needed to be cleaned.  But the other one was a Springfield Garand.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top