Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2017 10:39:49 AM EDT
Got a Plainfield M1 carbine from my father and was thinking about Form 1 SBR'ing it into the configuration he said that they made onboard ship(circa 1952-4) to give to the pilots. He said that the skipper of the carrier got pissed that he was losing pilots since they were only armed with a revolver and the Norks would stay back until they were out of ammo to capture them. This picture is the closest I could find of what he said that they did by "they got some paratrooper stocks for them, then cut off the barrel and moved the front sight back against the stock, then taped two 30 round banana clips together. Damn sure surprised the shit out of those gooks when that pilot cut down on them with that M2. We didn't lose another downed pilot after that.

¿Other than the obvious blast, any other issues that I might encounter?
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:48:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't mess  with any gun my dad have me, however if this story is part of your dad's military experience I think it's cool to do.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 11:17:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I would sooner pick up another one for that experiment if the first one had sentimental value to me. Could be a fun toy when finished. I don't shoot my M1 Carbine much these days. Tend to have more fun with ARs and 10/22s, but wouldn't part with the M1C.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:04:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Try to find a Universal Enforcer for the SBR project. I am not sure what would need to be tuned to make the Plainfield functional.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:56:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Find another Plainfield or early Universal to experiment with.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:11:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wouldn't mess  with any gun my dad have me, however if this story is part of your dad's military experience I think it's cool to do.
View Quote
Yep, have to agree. If it's a family heirloom, keep it in the same condition in which you received. Awesome family history right there.

It's the same reason I would never send off my Dad's old DCM Winchester M1 to, say, Shuff's, to have him cut down the barrel and op rod and "convert" it to a 16" Mini-G.  (Dad was a Korean War vet, U.S. Army). I've got other "beater" M1s for that, without any family military history associated with them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top