Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2017 2:50:27 AM EDT
Im usually not into older rifles, but when my friend turned me onto this I figured I would gamble and pick it up. I have tried to do as much research as I can on my own buy would really like to have some input from someone who actually might know early M1As. From what I think I have discerned I have a very clean, in my opinion cherry, and lightly used late 1978-early 1979 M1A National Match. all parts seem to be USGI and stamped as per my research the bolt has been replaced with a proper USGI one instead of a unmarked "letter" cast bolt. I believe that there might have been a recall on those bolts and thus the change. Wear is very very minimal it seems to me. There is green paint on the gas piston, please see picture. Why is that? The bore is immaculate. Please any info you can give me on this rifle would be very helpful. While I do not wish to discuss value I do have to admit that I am very curious seeing as I cant find a an auction or listing of a similar rifle of age and condition to go off of. I you honestly have any idea as to value please pm or email me, but please do not discuss in the thread as i am very curious as to what I have purchased. OH and what the heck before anyone asks.... I payed the guy $1000.00 for it. Serial was 0092XX I am happy to try and take more pictures for anyone who might be curious or want to check something. Sorry for the crap photos in advance.

Cheers
Naginata5  

Link Posted: 4/3/2017 7:40:44 AM EDT
[#1]
email Springfield Armory's customer service dept with the serial number, and they should be able to tell you the model and production date.  They did that for mine.

Nice rifle, BTW.  And a helluva price!
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 7:51:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Can't help you with the dating and info on the rifle, but for $1000 you've done well.  Especially if the receiver is forged.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 9:54:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Dont think its a really Early M1A known as a "Divine" Tx M1A but from what I can tell you did really really well. Read up here for some help

Older post same question

oh and if Different is still around

@Different
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 11:15:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dont think its a really Early M1A known as a "Divine" Tx M1A but from what I can tell you did really really well. Read up here for some help

Older post same question

oh and if Different is still around

@Different
View Quote
Ah yeah I read a little about the Divine guns. So yes fair to say not early, just pre 80's. Thanks for the link, Doesnt look like Different is still active but I messaged him anyway.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 11:24:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 4:59:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice score OP!
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 5:52:47 PM EDT
[#7]
OK, so I pulled my signed copy of Different's book off the shelf (forgot I had it), M14 Rifle History and Development.  

His research indicates that M1As with serial numbers under 002700 were definitely made by Elmer Ballance of Devine, TX for Springfield Armory.  M1As between serial numbers 002700 and 003200 were a transition between Devine TX and Geneseo, IL, but in his opinion none over 003000 were Devine guns.  So it's not a Devine gun.

According to the Addenda of this book, which has a list of M1A serial numbers and production dates which Different was able to gather, serial number 008977 was produced Oct 1978 and 009334 was produced in Feb 1979.  So that's a bracket of the time frame when yours was produced.

Just so you know, those early, all-USGI M1As command quite a premium in the used M1A market.  With it being a National Match rifle, that commands a premium as well.  

In other words, you got a STEAL on that rifle, maybe 50% off!
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 6:13:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
OK, so I pulled my signed copy of Different's book off the shelf (forgot I had it), M14 Rifle History and Development.  

His research indicates that M1As with serial numbers under 002700 were definitely made by Elmer Ballance of Devine, TX for Springfield Armory.  M1As between serial numbers 002700 and 003200 were a transition between Devine TX and Geneseo, IL, but in his opinion none over 003000 were Devine guns.  So it's not a Devine gun.

According to the Addenda of this book, which has a list of M1A serial numbers and production dates which Different was able to gather, serial number 008977 was produced Oct 1978 and 009334 was produced in Feb 1979.  So that's a bracket of the time frame when yours was produced.

Just so you know, those early, all-USGI M1As command quite a premium in the used M1A market.  With it being a National Match rifle, that commands a premium as well.  

View Quote
A Ballance built M1A should have Devine Tx marked on the barrel if the barrel is original. Mine was built by Charles Krause who was a product foreman.

Link Posted: 4/3/2017 6:44:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thanks a ton Spartacus for taking the time to help me out!
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 6:45:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

A Ballance built M1A should have Devine Tx marked on the barrel if the barrel is original. Mine was built by Charles Krause who was a product foreman.

http://i66.tinypic.com/14bl0ys.jpg
View Quote
Wow!!!!
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 7:29:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Wow!!!!
View Quote
Different is the M1A king when it comes to stuff like this.

For anyone interested in the M14, ''The Last Steel Warrior'' is an excellent book with tons of great info, both USGI and Civi firearms and parts.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 8:20:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Different is the M1A king when it comes to stuff like this.

For anyone interested in the M14, ''The Last Steel Warrior'' is an excellent book with tons of great info, both USGI and Civi firearms and parts.
View Quote
I have both books, two M1As, 50+ USGI magazines and a bunch of spare parts.  I was quite the M14 whore in my day...
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 8:26:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 12:57:37 PM EDT
[#14]
$1000 you did good, worth waaaaay more than that in parts.

Probably not a SA Inc NM build as they were selling stripped recvrs by then and most budget HP shooters 1970's- early 90's would build on a stripped. Like said SA Inc should be able to tell you if the recvr was sold stripped or as a complete rifle.  Someones old local/ home build Match service rifle no doubt.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top