Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2017 12:56:36 PM EDT
I already own one M14.  It's a very early (single digit serial number) James River Armory rifle built up on a forged receiver, 22" Citerion barrel and USGI TRW parts.  Originally came in the wood stock.  Right now, it's in a USGI fiberglass stock and has a Sadlak mount with it.

I'd like to get another M14, place the JRA rifle back into the wood stock and put the new rifle in the fiberglass stock, Sadlak mount and scope it (probably a fixed 10x scope).

I'm considering going with one of the options mentioned above in the subject line but wanted to see if anyone had any experience with Wolfe's products.  And does anyone have any suggestions of how I should go about this build?  Wondering about 22" vs. 18.5" barrel for example...  The JRA is a 22" so I'm thinking 18.5" for a change?  Any suggestions on the types and contours of barrels out there (I'd prefer to not go too "heavy" on a barrel)?  Preference on bolts...  LRB vs. Bula?
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 1:33:20 PM EDT
[#1]
No first hand experience with Jon Wolfe, but I did spend a LOT of time over on http://m14forum.com/ when I was building mine.  You might try asking over there.  IIRC he's got a very good reputation.

Both of my M14 clones have 22" barrels.  One has a National Match barrel and the other has a standard weight barrel.  I prefer the standard weight barrel.  I've kicked around the idea of an 18" build, and I will definitely use a standard weight barrel if I ever pull the trigger.  I like the looks of Smith Enterprises Standard Weight 18” Barrel, M14 DMR barrel (about 1/3 of the way down the page) but I'd do more research before making my final selection.

One of my M14 clones has a NOS TRW bolt ant the other has an LRB bolt.  Both have LRB receivers.  Both bolts have been trouble free, but neither gun's round count is very high.  The older one probably has over 1,000 rounds through it, but the newer one only has a few hundred on it.  I'll watch this thread for info on Bula.  Never heard of them before now.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 1:45:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I had a medium weight barrel once and it makes the rifle unbalanced, too front-heavy for shooting standing.  But I did like the slightly increased thickness forward of the oprod guide.  Standard barrel is very pencil thin there.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:50:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm running a fixed 10X SWFA SS Side Focus on my M1A in a Sadlak mount. Great combination and for the money, I don't think you can beat the scope quality.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:52:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm running a fixed 10X SWFA SS Side Focus on my M1A in a Sadlak mount. Great combination and for the money, I don't think you can beat the scope quality.
View Quote

That's actually what I've got waiting in the wings....  a 10x SWFA SS with the side focus.  For now, it's on top of a Remington 700, but it's going to get moved to the new M14 and the Rem700 will get something with a little more reach to it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:18:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Bula Defense makes JRA receivers and small parts. They are now a USGI supplier as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top