Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2017 6:16:13 PM EDT
I just dropped the paperwork in the mail. I ordered a special field. The description says it will have pitting on the receiver but my fingers are crossed that itheir description is pessimistic. Does anyone have any ideas about current lead times? I'm excited.

I just had the time to unbox the rifle and it is fantastic. Here is my new Springfield 4.3 million serial. There's absolutely no pitting above the wood line, but there is some under the wood line that really isn't bad and certainly not a detriment to function. Here are some pictures!
Attachment Attached File

I thought the Winchester 1917 and Colt 1911 (circa 1918 and 1917 respectively) made good companions.

Here is the pitting under the wood line.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Outside of that the rifle is absolutely beautiful. I won't be able to get some range time for a while, but I will update again when that day comes.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 6:39:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 6:57:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I just dropped the paperwork in the mail. I ordered a special field. The description says it will have pitting on the receiver but my fingers are crossed that itheir description is pessimistic. Does anyone have any ideas about current lead times? I'm excited.
View Quote

I've seen a few that weren't too pitted and were likely used due to the heel stamp being washed out from blasting.  I have also seen a few with more pitting than I would personally like.  With that said. these were just pictures and the camera likely made them far more visible.  I've also been buying Garands for a while and already have shooters.  Good luck and let us know what it looks like once received.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 2:55:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I've seen a few that weren't too pitted and were likely used due to the heel stamp being washed out from blasting.  I have also seen a few with more pitting than I would personally like.  With that said. these were just pictures and the camera likely made them far more visible.  I've also been buying Garands for a while and already have shooters.  Good luck and let us know what it looks like once received.
View Quote

I'll post an update when it arrives. Though, I won't be able to hit the range for a while unfortunately.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 3:08:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Great decision!   A little pitting adds character.   I have a 43 springer with pitting under the wood.  I'm guessing it went through a beach landing or two.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 10:32:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Great decision!   A little pitting adds character.   I have a 43 springer with pitting under the wood.  I'm guessing it went through a beach landing or two.
View Quote

Well and I don't really want some mint collectors rifle. I want a shooter so I'm sure I'll be happy.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 11:23:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I just got a special fields..mine is vey nice with little to no pitting.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 11:30:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I just got a special fields..mine is vey nice with little to no pitting.
View Quote

Where are the pictures? Come on man!
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 10:48:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Pics!
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 6:22:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Pics!
View Quote

Order showed up in the e-store today. Tracking number says it will be here Friday. Pics will be up ASAP.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:29:38 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm shamelessly going to bump myself because I've seen very few reports, much less pictures, of the special field.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:10:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Nice, thanks for the pics. Congrats op.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:14:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Sweet. I wouldn't worry bout that pitting. It's been blasted and reparked.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:08:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Sweet. I wouldn't worry bout that pitting. It's been blasted and reparked.
View Quote

Oh I'm not worried about it at all. It's half of what I expected. I'm extremely satisfied with this rifle and condition. The heel stamp is a little light, but not enough to be really noticeable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top