Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2017 2:38:23 PM EDT
I'm in no danger of winning Camp Perry, but am curious as to what is bad/decent/good shooting with the M1 Garand (or I guess any service rifle iron sights).

I tried to find scores (looking on CMP and NRA sights) but can't really find any (other than total match scores, not broken down).  CMP has a section with results of matches, but there is no data in any that I could find..

Using NRA MR-52 "200 yard slow fire" target at 200 yds.,  I shot a 78 and 75.  Prone with sling and closer to a rapid fire rate (didn't time, but probably a shot every 5-6 seconds) and did not reload.  I shot 16/24 at each target and divided total score by 1.6/2.4 to get a score for 10 shots.

What should I be shooting for (other than just improvement)?

Any numbers that would represent a "qualifying" score  (such as "to qualify in Marines would need to shoot xx/100")

Link Posted: 2/1/2017 3:05:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks pretty good to me!!!

I'm sure there are guys that can shoot a lot better than that.  Prone, slung up is a pretty stable position and you can probably improve those.  Just takes practice and probably some good instruction.  Either an appleseed or someone that knows what they're doing.  A lot of local ranges have guys that shoot matches and they can help you.  Ammo plays a part although with a Garand you have less options to choose from.  Unless you reload.  

I don't know, looks like minute of man to me and a couple of bullseyes to boot.  I'd be happy.   You should try some slow fire and see how you do.  My guess is you'll tighten it up.  

Someone with more match shooting will help you out.  I only shot a Garand match once.  It was a lot of fun though.    When I was shooting a lot I was getting pretty good at prone and sitting with my Garand.  I absolutely suck at off hand though.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 3:25:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I've seen worse at Perry.  Honestly that's not bad for a surplus rifle.  You didn't say what ammo you were using.  Cheap surplus ammo will give you cheap surplus results.  Nor how much practice you get.

Garands are great rifles but accuracy isn't always their forte.  2 to 3 moa is pretty good. I want to say 6 moa was considered in spec but don't quote me on that.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 6:59:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks.

Shooting reloads of the master po/NRA loads with Sierra Matchlings

Have done Appleseed (SUPER helpful)
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 9:43:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Score the target and compare it to actual scores . Pick up a service rifle rule book
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 10:39:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm in no danger of winning Camp Perry, but am curious as to what is bad/decent/good shooting with the M1 Garand (or I guess any service rifle iron sights).

I tried to find scores (looking on CMP and NRA sights) but can't really find any (other than total match scores, not broken down).  CMP has a section with results of matches, but there is no data in any that I could find..

Using NRA MR-52 "200 yard slow fire" target at 200 yds.,  I shot a 78 and 75.  Prone with sling and closer to a rapid fire rate (didn't time, but probably a shot every 5-6 seconds) and did not reload.  I shot 16/24 at each target and divided total score by 1.6/2.4 to get a score for 10 shots.

What should I be shooting for (other than just improvement)?

Any numbers that would represent a "qualifying" score  (such as "to qualify in Marines would need to shoot xx/100")

http://s942.photobucket.com/user/gusandson/media/Firearms/10-22%20Targets/M1%20Garand%20Targets/2017%202%2078%20score%20per%2010%20shots_zps4dqwik8i.jpg.html

http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad262/gusandson/Firearms/10-22%20Targets/M1%20Garand%20Targets/2017%202%2075%20score%20per%2010%20shots_zpsqya7xegk.jpg
View Quote

Please don't take this the wrong way but...That's not very good shooting.

First off, you are using the wrong target.  You should be using an MR-1 target.

for a CMP "As Issued Garand Match" shot at 200yards

an average score of 450/500 get you in the running for a medal.  THe score will break down as follows:

Prone Slow Fire (20 shots, loaded & fired one round at a time):

target shooting in the high 190s/200

Prone Rapids (10shots in 70 seconds):
95/100 or better

Sitting Rapid Fire (10shots in 60 seconds):
95/100 or better

Offhand (standing, 10 shots, one round loaded & fired at a time)
mid 80s or better

If you can consistently shoot that well, you will medal at camp perry in the Garand, SPringfield & Military rifle matches.

Keep at it.  It doesnt come easy.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 11:59:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Assuming a 2 MOA rifle + ammo combo:

7 MOA standing.

4-6 MOA sitting.

3 MOA prone.

Using the SR target like in the JCG matches, 250-260/300 is decent.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 5:59:36 AM EDT
[#7]
For an experienced high power shooter, that might not be very good shooting, but for someone relatively new to this type of shooting and a stock M1 Garand, that is decent enough.  With a little practice, depending upon shooting aptitude and eyes, decent usually gets more decent, and then may even transform into good.  In some clubs, the high power (or other type of competitive) shooters can be d--ks in cliques.  In some clubs, they can be welcoming and great ambassadors for the shooting sports, I have encountered both types.

The CMP Program was designed to help Americans become better shooters, and you can have fun doing it.  Learning to apply shooting fundamentals with the M1 Garand can help you become a better shooter, enjoy.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 9:19:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Please don't take this the wrong way but...That's not very good shooting.

First off, you are using the wrong target. You should be using an MR-1 target.

for a CMP "As Issued Garand Match" shot at 200yards

an average score of 450/500 get you in the running for a medal.  THe score will break down as follows:

Prone Slow Fire (20 shots, loaded & fired one round at a time):

target shooting in the high 190s/200

Prone Rapids (10shots in 70 seconds):
95/100 or better

Sitting Rapid Fire (10shots in 60 seconds):
95/100 or better

Offhand (standing, 10 shots, one round loaded & fired at a time)
mid 80s or better

If you can consistently shoot that well, you will medal at camp perry in the Garand, SPringfield & Military rifle matches.

Keep at it.  It doesnt come easy.
View Quote

The MR-1 is a 600 yd target, and the MR-52 is the MR-1 reduced for 200 yds (as described at "ustargetonline"

Bigggest problem I have is that I can only find total scores, but the only shooting I was doing was prone (couldn't find break downs of just the prone slow or rapid fire).  If 95/100 would get a medal, I'll be pretty happy if I can get solidly into the 80's

Don't plan to compete other than against myself...
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 11:26:01 AM EDT
[#9]
You can view and download the High Power Rifle Rule Books from the NRA and CMP web sites.

Look for the classification scores.  These will give you an idea of what scores are good, very good, better, better still and best.  In HP, those classifications are Marksman, Sharpshooter, Expert, Master and High Master.  It is a way to equate your scores to a common level of performance used everywhere.

By the way, you can also use the classification system and its scores in your setting of goals and to help motivate you to improve.  This is especially important if you are shooting independent of competitions.

One final word - don't look at the awards ("medals"), look at scores.  Look at the classification percentages.

A final, final word - my Garand can barely hold the black no matter who shoots it, no matter how it is supported (even benchrested) during firing.  Find out how much of your shot dispersion is the rifle.  For mine, even with the best ammo, that is over 6" at 100 yards.  I no longer shoot the Garand when I want to shoot accurately.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 12:58:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The MR-1 is a 600 yd target, and the MR-52 is the MR-1 reduced for 200 yds (as described at "ustargetonline"

Bigggest problem I have is that I can only find total scores, but the only shooting I was doing was prone (couldn't find break downs of just the prone slow or rapid fire).  If 95/100 would get a medal, I'll be pretty happy if I can get solidly into the 80's

Don't plan to compete other than against myself...
View Quote

I'm not a target expert but it sounds like you were shooting a "600 yard" simulated target. From that site, what I believe you are looking for is the SR-C. Which is normally pasted over the giant SR which contains the low-scoring rings.

Shooting a CMP Garand, you should probably compare yourself to the JCG match scores, which is shot strictly @ 200 yards with this target. I shot a 438/500 in my first local match, with 282/300 in the prone stages. (The winner of the match shot 295/300 prone & the last place shot 280/300, total scores 467 & 410 respectively). JCG is so easy to compete in, there isn't any excuse not to go if one is available.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 2:02:04 PM EDT
[#11]
A standard M1 Garand match ammo load is 46.0 grains of IMR-4895 and 168 grain Sierra Match Kings seated around 3.250" Ammo quality makes a huge difference on target.

My NM M1 Garand shoots 12" groups at 200 yards with ball ammo. The same rifle shoots 5" groups with the load listed above.

I use a leather sling and heavy weight mitt. I also wear a shooting jacket. The sling is more than "snug" when I'm locked in. I have a lot of sling tension and I'm pulling the rifle tight into my shoulder to control recoil.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 6:02:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Trollslayer, thanks.  Found the information:

19.15 Individual Class Averages—Competitors classifi ed or reclassifi ed
on the basis of scores fi red under the conditions specifi ed in Rule 19.4, reduced
to 10 shot averages, those averages leading to classifi cations as shown
in Table II or III below:
TABLE NO. II
INDIVIDUAL
High Master ................................................ 97.00 and above
Master ............................................................ 94.00 to 96.99
Expert ............................................................ 89.00 to 93.99
Sharpshooter .................................................. 84.00 to 88.99
Marksman ......................................................... Below 84.00

So at least I know that 84+ is a good goal. Got to do some work.....
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 6:14:19 PM EDT
[#13]
The garand gets kind of a bad deal when you shoot the reduced 200 yd course.  They shoot pretty large groups and the scoring rings for prone at 200yd are not nice/small.

Your target looked like maybe you shot one clip making a long diagonal string lower left.  Then after reloading you had a different site picture and shot elsewhere.  You can't be sure what happened unless you track every shot and make a map of your shots as you shoot them.

You learn as you go watching where each shot hits you might find out if your rifle is following a path or if it's all on you.

I've mostly shot my garand at the full 600yd course and I think I got higher scores at 600 as opposed to the reduced target at 200.  My garand was a bedded match rifle though.  The guys shooting AR's had more problems at 600 so it made me feel a little better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top