Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2017 1:54:41 PM EDT
Just wondering if it matters which side the first bullet goes in a M1 en bloc, left or right?

Just got 400 rd from the CMP & want to load them all. They come loose packaged in nice 30mm ammo cans.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 1:58:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Not a wrong way for functioning but loading feels much more intuitive and is easier if you load the top one right.  I think it gives you a bit more leverage.  Just feels all wrong to me on the left side.  Of course someone else may say the opposite.  So it's really  just up to you. 
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 2:10:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Okay thank you. I just got my first Garand a week or so ago & was not sure if loading them one way or the other would cause feeding issues or anything else so just wanted to ask.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 2:13:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice buy!  

From what I've read it will work either way but this on biggerhammer.net, and copied below from, "DEPARTMENT OF THE ARMY FIELD MANUAL, FM 23-5 for the U.S. Rifle, CALIBER .30, M1", Chapter 3, OPERATION AND FUNCTIONING", states;

14. Loading Rounds into a C l i p

(a.) Insert eight rounds into the c l i p, holding the c l i p, open end upward, and the rounds in palm of your left hand. Start placing the rounds in from the lower left of the c l i p and make sure that each round is against the rear wall so that the inner rib of the c l i p engages the extracting groove of each round. The top round will then be on the right, making the c l i p easier for a right handed firer to load in the rifle. For the same reason, c l i ps are loaded this way at arsenals.

(b.) Each time rounds are loaded into a c l i p, the c l i p should be checked for long rounds. If one rounds extends beyond the others, it will be hard to load the c l i p into the rifle. The long round should be seated by removing the top round, pushing the long round into place and then replacing the top round. Tapping the b u l l e t against a solid surface to seat the long round may result in the b u l l e t being pushed back into its cartridge case. This may damage the b u l l e t or break the b u l l e t seal which could result in changes in the ballistic performance of the round.

edit:  Weird, links were being added automatically for advertising, I spaced some words oddly to try and fix it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 3:04:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice buy!  

From what I've read it will work either way but this on biggerhammer.net, and copied below from, "DEPARTMENT OF THE ARMY FIELD MANUAL, FM 23-5 for the U.S. Rifle, CALIBER .30, M1", Chapter 3, OPERATION AND FUNCTIONING", states;

14. Loading Rounds into a C l i p

(a.) Insert eight rounds into the c l i p, holding the c l i p, open end upward, and the rounds in palm of your left hand. Start placing the rounds in from the lower left of the c l i p and make sure that each round is against the rear wall so that the inner rib of the c l i p engages the extracting groove of each round. The top round will then be on the right, making the c l i p easier for a right handed firer to load in the rifle. For the same reason, c l i ps are loaded this way at arsenals.

(b.) Each time rounds are loaded into a c l i p, the c l i p should be checked for long rounds. If one rounds extends beyond the others, it will be hard to load the c l i p into the rifle. The long round should be seated by removing the top round, pushing the long round into place and then replacing the top round. Tapping the b u l l e t against a solid surface to seat the long round may result in the b u l l e t being pushed back into its cartridge case. This may damage the b u l l e t or break the b u l l e t seal which could result in changes in the ballistic performance of the round.

edit:  Weird, links were being added automatically for advertising, I spaced some words oddly to try and fix it.
View Quote

Awesome, thanks!
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 3:20:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice link, and great info.  I've always loaded mine with the top round on the right as well, but I've had some loaded on the left and they shot just fine.
Thanks again for the link and info.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 4:28:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Are you new to M1's?

Are you right handed?

A good way to load that clip into the rifle is place the clip in position on/above the follower, then extend the four fingers of the right had straight down along the side of the stock/receiver in front of the operating rod handle, then push down hard till the clip locks in place.

This helps keep your thumb/fingers out of harm's way if the bolt releases early (before you get thumb/fingers out of the way.)

Good shooting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top