Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2017 12:43:47 PM EDT
I have a bolt 308 and a 308 ar but I have no real interest in them. I haven't even shot them yet, but I have always loved the M1a. I heard there is a difference between the SOCOM and the scout, and parts are not interchangeable. What is a acceptable price to pay for one, I just don't want to over pay.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 12:58:18 PM EDT
[#1]
In my opinion
When it comes to M14 type rifles you really get what you pay for, Prices are high but LRB & Fulton Armory guns are the way to go. Not enough (probably zero) USGI parts in the new Springfield Armory guns, looks like a bunch of cast stuff there. Another option is to look for an older preban Springfield made back when they still contained USGI parts.
As far as barrel length, I'd stay away from the brake equipped 16" guns, very very loud & tremendous muzzle flash, 18" with a usgi fh is much better. Cost is probably around 2k brand new, but they do come up on the equipment exchange pretty regularly, some great deal too, so keep an eye out.
Good luck, and remember
It's only my opinion (I have owned many & still do own a few)
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 1:13:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm in the same boat, been wanting one for ages.

However I've been wanting one that is a slight beater but all USGI parts.  Basically wanting to build an M14 clone so finish wear is not an issue to me.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 1:56:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Take a look at the James River guns.  They are nice. Personally, I wouldn't go with a 16" barrel.  I like an 18" barrel, but not with a brake.  Put a brake on an 18" barrel, fired about 3 shots, and decided, "No Way!".  I have one "braked" rifle, and that is one set up with a medium heavy match barrel and scope.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 2:09:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I've only shot a loaded and standard style in any large amounts and I love them.  I have shot a Socom once and for some reason I don't recall the brake sucking on that gun.  I've shot other guns I didn't like a brake on.  Like my friend's AR30 Armalite bolt gun.  It was effective but man all the gasses from the gun come right back at you.  It's like hooking a breathing machine up to you and forcing in a bunch of fumes.  Not what I would call pleasant.  But the brake on the Socom is a lot smaller than that and directs that gasses upwards.  And I think it helps with recoil because I thought it was very manageable.  Moreso than my loaded and my BIL's standard polytech.  

Anyways....  Lots of guys poo poo the M1A as it is an older design.  Most will cite that accuracy isn't nearly as good as a more modern gun but I think it's a bit more involved than that.  People have proven them to be very accurate.  Mine is.  But supposedly the accuracy doesn't last because of the bedding.  And AR's don't have that problem.  But I also think sometimes there's a little bit of bias going on.  I don't really know what the real answer is other than I've really like M1A's.  Other than kind of being squeemish about recoil.  I would love one even more if it was in a caliber like...  6.5 with a bit less recoil and maybe weighed about a pound less.  But actually, a standard version with a USGI profile barrels isn't overly heavy.   My BIL's polytech balances really sweet.  But that chinese wood stock is kind of light too.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 3:05:34 PM EDT
[#5]

$1300.00 when in stock at Palmetto State Armory.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 3:39:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought a Norinco M14 that had been sent to Warbirds for the USGI bolt and other USGI parts and I put in a USGI flashhider. With the forged receiver, it's a real good shooter. I think I've got about $1400 in it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 4:06:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I started my M1A addiction with a National Match that my dad bought when I was 17.  I inherited the rifle and still love shooting it, but decided to buy something newer when SA came out with the Socom and the Scout, but wasn't interested in the Socom II.  I ended up buying both of them, and then sold off the Socom 16 when I was much happier with the Scout.  The front sight on the 16 was just too wide for the medium distance shooting, but the Scout front side blade works just fine.
I've been looking at the new CQB model, as I really like the stock, but want to get one for my Scout, and SA isn't selling them separately yet.
My suggestion would be to get a Scout, or stick with a Full-size model.
There is also a new stock out for the M1A that is much more affordable, but I can't remember if it's ramline, or Choate, or who is making it.  Maybe it's Choate, listed for 275 on the website.
http://www.riflestock.com/store/do/product/PGS/17-01-05
Edit:  Sorry, forgot to add, I usually see them between 1200-1600 depending on if you are looking for new or used.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 4:08:24 PM EDT
[#8]
One thing I left out, even though the nice Walnut Stocks look great, My guns all shoot much better when I stick the action in a standard USGI fiberglass stock, fortunately for me years back (15+years back) Tony Pucci of Orion 7 had them stacked like cordwood in his shop & gave me a couple, a Great guy who builds great guns also.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 4:16:55 PM EDT
[#9]
USGI Parts are nice but not completely necessary. Springfield M1a has been 100% reliable for me, and their warranty is hands down above fultons 1yr warranty. I don't expect anything to go wrong but it's always nice to have that if something does go wrong.

Fultons receivers are also cast so there's not much difference between the two. Buy one and shoot it, you'll enjoy every second!
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 4:28:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I have the M1A standard.

The SOCOM is brutal, and throws a fire ball the size of a garbage can out the front and side.

The Scout is a nice compromise in size, and would be a nice option, if you want something handy in the woods.

That said, I don't fire mine much, and would like to build another 308 AR soon.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 6:55:31 PM EDT
[#11]
My love affair with the M14/M1A goes back 50 years when I first held an M14 in basic training in the summer of 1967.  As an experienced deer hunter shooting 30-06, I took to the M14 on the range like a duck to water qualifying Expert with ease and winning my company shooting competition and coming in second in the cycle (all companies) 600yd shoot-off.  While I had one in Germany after training, as I was in an M-60 tank crew, the M14 was unnecessary.  In RVN, as a tank commander, they gave me a 'toy' M16, however, again, we only used those for passes to Saigon.  I always wanted one after I got out of the Army but college, the cost, my wife and later, our kids got in the way so it never happened.  

That changed after I retired in 2007, as started to rebuild my gun collection I sold off in lean times to help the family.  After my son (now grown) bought an M1 Garand and we both shot it, I knew I had to get an M1A.  So I saved and picked up a NIB Springfield Armory Std, Walnut, M1A, just like I had in basic and Germany, and love blossomed once again.  Like the GIs in WWII and their M1 Garands, if you trained and slept with an M14 you just love them.  No explaining it, you just do.  They are arguably the US' last real main battle rifle; not the the plastic and aluminum toy main rifles of today, but a real walnut and steel Battle Rifle!  Even though I picked the standard model, from my research I already knew that they came with a 'NM' front sight and rear sight base (Springfield simplified parts inventory) so with the fitting of a NM rear aperture, I've got near NM sights (NM elevation not NM windage) at the price of the standard.

Anyway, I've shot it as an irons only gun for years and thousands of my handloads using all WCC marked brass and even though I've got 3 ARs, 2 M1 Garands, and 2 M1 Carbines, it's still my favorite Mil rifle.  In fact, in 2015 I picked up a NIB Mini-14 Ranch Rifle because the accuracy tweaks would make it look very much like it's namesake.  Now the Mini joins my M1A as my 2 favorite Mil rifles at range shoots whether it be 200yd bowling pins (a favorite) or out on the Colorado plains shooting at a 12" steel plate at 400yds . . . . . with irons and now 69yr old eyes!!

So, if you can afford a fancy one, by all means get one.  But if you can't, you'll find that even the standard M1A is a GEM.  I prefer it as it's what I trained with and for 95% of the shooters in the world shooting irons today, the standard model will still be more accurate than you are (even though the interweb armchair expert marksman will tell you different).  It's built to a configuration of the past most assuredly but a rich heritage and glorious past it was.  Shooting the M1 Garand / M14 platform is an experience in American history you should not miss.  Get one.  Shoot one.  Shoot it again and again and enjoy the experience.  You'll never forget the thrill.

NOTE:  To say that the above review is biased is an understatement.  In truth, if anything, it's not biased enough!!
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 7:07:33 PM EDT
[#12]
My M1As.

TOP - Preban Springer M1A - lots of USGI parts, including a Winchester barrel, HR-N trigger group TRW bolt, etc...

BOTTOM - Springer Scout Squad with a few SEI upgrades, including but not shown, an GLFS base and Vortex flash hider.

Link Posted: 1/13/2017 8:24:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I own two Springfield Super Match rifles that I purchased new in 1982 and 1984. They have been rebuilt, once three times, the other twice. They both have around 50 rounds though them on their new barrels just to establish a zero. I love how these rifles fit me, I feel much more comfortable when shooting them in high power than when fielding an AR-15. However, the cost to feed and maintain them has gone up dramatically since the mid-80's. Parts used to be common and stacked deep at gun shows. They were relatively cheap as well.

Not any longer. M14 gunsmiths are harder to come by and the good ones cost a lot of money. Parts are ridiculous and hard to find. I have complete TRW parts kit and two operating rods in reserve purchased a long time ago. Without these back up parts I would probably sell the rifles, at least one of them. I am hoping to see Trump loosen the Korean M1 Garand repatriation restrictions and then allow Taiwan to sell M14 parts kits back to US collectors. Taiwan has thousands of M14's thanks to the American tax payers which are probably considered obsolete by now.

The picture posted of the SOCOM with the camouflage stock seems like a good deal at $1400.00. You will have a historically interesting "old school" rifle that has been made handier to use. 168 grain Sierra Match Kings are guaranteed to group well. I think you will love the rifle, just understand how time has depleted the supply of original G.I. parts.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 8:44:56 PM EDT
[#14]
I love my M1A. I bought a Springfield M1A Loaded model with the Walnut stock. I've since added a Sadlak scope mount, SWFA SS 10X42 and Schuester Adjustable Gas Plug and Surplus USGI stock. It's officially become a part of my never sell collection.

I wish I would have bought this rifle years ago.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 10:25:25 PM EDT
[#15]
I love my M1A.  Mine was an early build, built by its previous owner on a 1980 Springfield receiver (sold as a receiver only in 5/80) with USGI parts, including a Saco-Lowell National Match barrel, unitized gas system, etc.  It's one of my favorites.

Link Posted: 1/14/2017 1:59:06 PM EDT
[#16]
This, is a great thread.  COSteve.  Thanks for your service.  And anyone else who served.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 3:15:04 PM EDT
[#17]
It was my honor to do so.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 1:07:28 AM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 1/15/2017 1:15:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 12:38:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Mine is mainly GI parts built in 1994 . It is a great shooter .
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 6:46:21 AM EDT
[#21]
I love the M14 platform, especially the Mk14 Mod 0/1. I went through a couple of Springfield M1As and had nothing but problems with them, even after sending them back under the lifetime warranty. I was disappointed and sad because it looked like I'd never be able to own a decent M14 style rifle. Then my best friend turned me on to LRB. They are the best semi-auto M14 style rifle money can buy, and as close to mil-spec as you can get without getting a transferable full-auto.

Unlike most M14 style rifles, including the M1A, that use cast receivers, bolts, and op-rods, LRB forges and machines theirs to USGI specs. Each batch of bolts and receivers have a few units taken out and are sent to an independent firm to be inspected several different ways, including x-ray. If any of them doesn't pass the whole batch is scrapped and melted down. That's how dedicated to quality LRB is. They also have some of the best customer service you'll ever find, not that you'll need it much as their rifles are amazingly reliable.

If you're gonna do it, do it right. Get an LRB. Here's my Mk14 built from an LRB barreled action with a medium contour chrome lined 18.5" barrel and all genuine USGI H&R trigger group.

Link Posted: 2/9/2017 2:01:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I love the M14 platform, especially the Mk14 Mod 0/1. I went through a couple of Springfield M1As and had nothing but problems with them, even after sending them back under the lifetime warranty. I was disappointed and sad because it looked like I'd never be able to own a decent M14 style rifle. Then my best friend turned me on to LRB. They are the best semi-auto M14 style rifle money can buy, and as close to mil-spec as you can get without getting a transferable full-auto.

Unlike most M14 style rifles, including the M1A, that use cast receivers, bolts, and op-rods, LRB forges and machines theirs to USGI specs. Each batch of bolts and receivers have a few units taken out and are sent to an independent firm to be inspected several different ways, including x-ray. If any of them doesn't pass the whole batch is scrapped and melted down. That's how dedicated to quality LRB is. They also have some of the best customer service you'll ever find, not that you'll need it much as their rifles are amazingly reliable.

If you're gonna do it, do it right. Get an LRB. Here's my Mk14 built from an LRB barreled action with a medium contour chrome lined 18.5" barrel and all genuine USGI H&R trigger group.
View Quote

OK, sooooooooooo, which one do you like better?  Both look super nice!!!  But there is a lot of M1A / M14 hate (maybe disdain, disrespect, I don't know what exactly you'd call it) on this site and more like reverence for the AR10 / .30 cal AR's.   Just curious what your thoughts are.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 5:51:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 9:36:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

OK, sooooooooooo, which one do you like better?  Both look super nice!!!  But there is a lot of M1A / M14 hate (maybe disdain, disrespect, I don't know what exactly you'd call it) on this site and more like reverence for the AR10 / .30 cal AR's.   Just curious what your thoughts are.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Hands down, I prefer my Mk14. I love both rifles, but the Mk14 is my favorite rifle of any I've ever owned, and I've owned ARs, Kalashnikovs, M1As, FALs, HK style roller locked, AUGs, XCRS, and I've shot several others. Yeah it's heavy in the SAGE chassis, but that's never bothered me. I prefer having a heavier rifle and dealing with slight discomfort, but gaining the benefit of less felt recoil. But the Mk14 and the LMT MWS308 are my two favorite rifles I own.

Quoted:

I'm wondering just what "problems" he encountered.   never an issue with mine.
not saying there haven't been people who have experienced a problems.
I also wonder what era / year was his rifle? mine is from the 80's.

Mostly failures to extract and feed. The M1As I owned were all post-2000 built rifles, which is when Springfield had pretty much ran out of mil-surp parts and had gone to investment casting and MIM parts. Even after sending each rifle back to Springfield a few times and getting a clean bill of health from them i couldn't get any of them to run through a full mag regardless of what ammunition I fed them.

The older rifles were better, but the new rifles are junk in my opinion. And why would anyone want to settle for a rifle made from cast parts, especially the receiver and bolt, when they can buy a brand new rifle with properly forged and heat treated parts made to USGI specs? That's like wanting a Ferrari and settling for a used Fiat.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 2:47:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Well, FWIW, my Springy loaded is fun to shoot, accurate and I've never had a problem with it. It's about 10 years old with barely any USGI parts.  I think my hammer, or maybe my whole trigger group is.  And that's it.    It doesn't have a crap ton of rounds through it, but I think around 500 or more.  I forget exactly.  Have to look at my log book.  It might be quite a bit more than that....  Anyways.....  Lots of people have ones with out problems.  I think you just had bad springfield luck.  Not saying that an LRB isn't better.  I'm sure it is.  But they also do cost more.  

There is something sweet about a M1A/ M14 that runs good.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 11:04:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Regarding the critisism of the M14-type I might add my two cents here:

Until last year I have been in the happy situation of owning both a SAI M1A Loaded next to a genuine Winchester M14 (born around 1963), that was castrated from its selector lug, but otherwise from that it was 100% USGI.

First the M14:
Weight and balance with an synthetic USGI stock and the standard barrel was excellent, and for me the (non-NM) trigger still remains the standard by which all others have to be compared. Same goes for the open sights.
It never malfunctioned with very little maintenance, at least concerning cleaning.
It delivered an average 2 - 3 MOA accuracy with M80 type ammo, roughly below 2 MOA with 168 HPBTs. However, to maintain that accuracy it required a lot of work (bedding, shimming the GC etc.)
To invest some work into a rifle is ok, what sucked, after another 500 to 1000 or so rounds all those efforts dissappeared and the system had shot itself loose again.
It would of course still work reliable, but accuracy went down the drain to somewhat 4 - 5 MOA. Which might be enough for an old battle rifle, but is joyless in real life.
A wooden USGI stock would not deliver enough tension on the front band, so it would have needed bedding aswell.

Next the M1A:
IMHO bulky wooden stock, heavy, especially front heavy with the NM barrel. Few FTE. And surprisingly not much more accurate than mother M14.
The mentioned wooden USGI stock would not fit, because the receiver legs were longer than mil spec.

Scoping the M14 is another story. The ARMS #18 would not fit on the M14 without cant (mils specs ... LOL), and would cause occasional FTE and stovepipes on the M1A.

So my conclusion: if you plan to shoot your rifle in an extensive amount, you will likely be facing a significant higher amount of necessary maintenance to keep a certain accuray compared to newer designs.
Probably no problem for occasional use with less than a few mags per year.
Of course YMMV. And everybody elses in love with the M14 MMV too.

I ended up selling both rifles while in need for a new car.

Remembrance pic:

http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af341/DeutschFNG/Family.jpg

(sorry, pic and link insert don't work)
Had a SEI Coast Guard Muzzle Brake, and I have commited the great blasphemy of mounting it, which turned it into an even softer shooting rifle.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 10:21:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
My love affair with the M14/M1A goes back 50 years when I first held an M14 in basic training in the summer of 1967.  As an experienced deer hunter shooting 30-06, I took to the M14 on the range like a duck to water qualifying Expert with ease and winning my company shooting competition and coming in second in the cycle (all companies) 600yd shoot-off.  While I had one in Germany after training, as I was in an M-60 tank crew, the M14 was unnecessary.  In RVN, as a tank commander, they gave me a 'toy' M16, however, again, we only used those for passes to Saigon.  I always wanted one after I got out of the Army but college, the cost, my wife and later, our kids got in the way so it never happened.  

That changed after I retired in 2007, as started to rebuild my gun collection I sold off in lean times to help the family.  After my son (now grown) bought an M1 Garand and we both shot it, I knew I had to get an M1A.  So I saved and picked up a NIB Springfield Armory Std, Walnut, M1A, just like I had in basic and Germany, and love blossomed once again.  Like the GIs in WWII and their M1 Garands, if you trained and slept with an M14 you just love them.  No explaining it, you just do.  They are arguably the US' last real main battle rifle; not the the plastic and aluminum toy main rifles of today, but a real walnut and steel Battle Rifle!  Even though I picked the standard model, from my research I already knew that they came with a 'NM' front sight and rear sight base (Springfield simplified parts inventory) so with the fitting of a NM rear aperture, I've got near NM sights (NM elevation not NM windage) at the price of the standard.

Anyway, I've shot it as an irons only gun for years and thousands of my handloads using all WCC marked brass and even though I've got 3 ARs, 2 M1 Garands, and 2 M1 Carbines, it's still my favorite Mil rifle.  In fact, in 2015 I picked up a NIB Mini-14 Ranch Rifle because the accuracy tweaks would make it look very much like it's namesake.  Now the Mini joins my M1A as my 2 favorite Mil rifles at range shoots whether it be 200yd bowling pins (a favorite) or out on the Colorado plains shooting at a 12" steel plate at 400yds . . . . . with irons and now 69yr old eyes!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/Coloradoglocker/20150618_105337_zpsv5bz0syz.jpg

So, if you can afford a fancy one, by all means get one.  But if you can't, you'll find that even the standard M1A is a GEM.  I prefer it as it's what I trained with and for 95% of the shooters in the world shooting irons today, the standard model will still be more accurate than you are (even though the interweb armchair expert marksman will tell you different).  It's built to a configuration of the past most assuredly but a rich heritage and glorious past it was.  Shooting the M1 Garand / M14 platform is an experience in American history you should not miss.  Get one.  Shoot one.  Shoot it again and again and enjoy the experience.  You'll never forget the thrill.

NOTE:  To say that the above review is biased is an understatement.  In truth, if anything, it's not biased enough!!
View Quote

Reading this has me all hot and bothered.  I need to get some more Garands and some more M14s.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 12:46:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Regarding the critisism of the M14-type I might add my two cents here:

Until last year I have been in the happy situation of owning both a SAI M1A Loaded next to a genuine Winchester M14 (born around 1963), that was castrated from its selector lug, but otherwise from that it was 100% USGI.

First the M14:
Weight and balance with an synthetic USGI stock and the standard barrel was excellent, and for me the (non-NM) trigger still remains the standard by which all others have to be compared. Same goes for the open sights.
It never malfunctioned with very little maintenance, at least concerning cleaning.
It delivered an average 2 - 3 MOA accuracy with M80 type ammo, roughly below 2 MOA with 168 HPBTs. However, to maintain that accuracy it required a lot of work (bedding, shimming the GC etc.)
To invest some work into a rifle is ok, what sucked, after another 500 to 1000 or so rounds all those efforts dissappeared and the system had shot itself loose again.
It would of course still work reliable, but accuracy went down the drain to somewhat 4 - 5 MOA. Which might be enough for an old battle rifle, but is joyless in real life.
A wooden USGI stock would not deliver enough tension on the front band, so it would have needed bedding aswell.

Next the M1A:
IMHO bulky wooden stock, heavy, especially front heavy with the NM barrel. Few FTE. And surprisingly not much more accurate than mother M14.
The mentioned wooden USGI stock would not fit, because the receiver legs were longer than mil spec.

Scoping the M14 is another story. The ARMS #18 would not fit on the M14 without cant (mils specs ... LOL), and would cause occasional FTE and stovepipes on the M1A.

So my conclusion: if you plan to shoot your rifle in an extensive amount, you will likely be facing a significant higher amount of necessary maintenance to keep a certain accuray compared to newer designs.
Probably no problem for occasional use with less than a few mags per year.
Of course YMMV. And everybody elses in love with the M14 MMV too.

I ended up selling both rifles while in need for a new car.

Remembrance pic:

http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af341/DeutschFNG/Family.jpg

(sorry, pic and link insert don't work)
Had a SEI Coast Guard Muzzle Brake, and I have commited the great blasphemy of mounting it, which turned it into an even softer shooting rifle.
View Quote

Posted your pic up for you.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 3:11:10 PM EDT
[#29]
I wouldn't question buying a new Springfield. I have a 2016 standard M1a. Thing has been 100% reliable, same as my colt
Ar and Springfield 1911. I have a sadlak scope mount that fit perfectly. I was worried slightly about the fit from other people's problems, but the scope mound has been rock solid for over 450 rounds. Never got the chance to take it over 400 yards but it's dead on at that range.

No malfunctions at all either. But I do keep my rifles pretty clean!

Here's my favorite pic of the old new girl.

Link Posted: 2/25/2017 4:32:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Yeah that's really nice.  Great pic!
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 1:51:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Yeah that's really nice.  Great pic!
View Quote

Thanks! CA still has a few decent places to shoot. Hope to be out of here soon though.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 3:22:29 PM EDT
[#32]
I once ran 3500 rounds through a bone stock SOCOM 16 with no cleaning, just added a little grease a couple of times.  Had exactly two FTExtracts, cleared both via the boot method, both were South African surplus.  Sure, you can have problems with an SAI rifle, but you can have trouble with an AK, too.

I once owned 9 M14 type rifles, I think I have 6 now.  For an iron sighted rifle, it can't be beat.  The problem is attaching optics (which has been fixed via the LRB M25), and shooting suppressed.  When the bolt opens, it pukes in your face, it's just the design.  

Other issues are the weight, there's really no way to make it lighter like they are doing with the AR10 now, and the accuracy.  It is easy to get 1.5moa accuracy out of an M14 type rifle, but immensely expensive and hard to get (and keep) accuracy at a high grade.  For instance, I have a GAP 10 that consistently hovers just above 1/2 moa, while my more expensive Smith Crazy Horse can't touch that.  The AR10 is more ergonomic to operate and easier to shoot accurately, too.

I still love the M14, as far as I'm concerned it is the pinnacle of a battle rifle, but the design is not without it's problems.  My favorite is a scout/bush rifle.  Pretty handy, not nearly as loud as the SOCOM, or as long as the standard.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 4:35:08 PM EDT
[#33]
I have seen AK's malf as much as any other platform.  I know, heresy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top