Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2016 11:10:00 PM EDT
Buddy of mine came into the shop today and showed me this Winchester M1 Carbine. Story he gave me was that an Alaskan native kid brought it into his shop and sold it to him. Kid said it was his great grandfather's gun who was in the Alaska National Guard. The kid was also selling some misc period area clothing and gear along with the rifle.

Pictures pretty much speak for themselves.. the nickel is in rough shape. I have no idea how to disassemble the thing since the barrel band has a rivet (wtf) and something is definitely up with the front sight. The gun has been polished to the point where the serial number was worn. Could not find any visible markings on the barrel.  Brief googling tells me this may have been a parade or ceremonial rifle. The bore itself was the best thing about it, bright and crisp rifling. No markings on the stock that I could see. Serial number dates it to 1944-ish.

Would like to get some more information on potential value, how to authenticate where the nickel plating came from, etc. I might try to buy it from him. Tried to post in the CMP Forums but for some reason my account is restricted and I have no idea why.

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:25:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd buy it if price was right. Hell I'd be inclined to strip and repark though so take that for what it's worth
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 7:08:58 AM EDT
[#2]
The plating hurts the value, worth much more in original finish. Value is whatever you are lucky enough to get out of it
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 8:54:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I have seen several M1 carbines that were done up with nickel and globs of varnish to use as parade weapons or trophy's . I guess it was a thing back in the 60's and 70's when they were dirt cheap.

I once came across one that was gold plated with gloss white paint on the wood..

As for the OP there isn't much to be done with it now except to shoot the heck out of it if it operates
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 3:41:47 AM EDT
[#4]
It looks like someone didn't clean it first, and used a Harbor Freight electroplating kit on it.  If it fires, I would value it about $200.  And that includes $50 for the stock.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 12:10:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Front sight ears have been removed. Is there a W in the sling well? If so, it's an original Winchester stock. Worth some money even if refinished. Plating can be removed. Get it for a good price and refinish it. If you've got under $700.00 in it, in the end you're ahead of the carbine game these days. Otherwise shoot it as is.  

Link Posted: 10/23/2016 4:11:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I love it.  But yeah, I don't love the front sight.  Makes it more susceptible to losing or bending the front sight without the dog ears.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:54:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks like a Drill, Parade, or maybe a Honor Guard piece.  If you had to ruin an original, best it's a Winchester as they were the most crudely produced M1 Carbines.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 4:51:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Pimp-tastic
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top