Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/23/2016 8:25:29 PM EDT
Does anyone know a reliable place to purchase an Italian Garand receiver  (probably a Danish contract)?  I found some at Riverbank Armory, but after looking at some reviews they seem to not have a great reputation. It's probably OK to purchase the receiver from them but wanted to hear what you guys think, or if there is a better source.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 11:59:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Might ask Fluffy what he thinks about Italian Garand receivers.  Last I heard he's tried several, but hasn't found a good one yet.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 12:01:45 AM EDT
[#2]
That would explain the PM...

I'm curious what is wrong with them.

Edit. I think that last post may have been the equivalent of a technical forum Rickroll...
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 12:11:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:  That would explain the PM...

I'm curious what is wrong with them.
View Quote

Most of them being in Canada, for starters.  Other than that, either Fluffy is repeatedly building Garands on crap receivers until he finds a good one, or he's obsessively building Garands, take your pick.  (And yes, I'm aware that Fluffy pays handsomely to have his Italian beauties assembled for him.)
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 12:46:34 AM EDT
[#4]
did they quote you $500
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 6:50:52 AM EDT
[#5]
There was a guy on the CMP forum that hd a few for sell. IMO just use a USGI receiver, the Italian receivers are not wort the extra $$$$ you will pay for them here in the US
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:18:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
did they quote you $500
View Quote

That is the website price
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:19:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
There was a guy on the CMP forum that hd a few for sell. IMO just use a USGI receiver, the Italian receivers are not wort the extra $$$$ you will pay for them here in the US
View Quote

Understood and agreed.  I'm trying to assemble a Tipo-2 Garand or perhaps a BM59E and thought it would be nice to have the Italian receiver.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:49:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 3:13:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Understood and agreed.  I'm trying to assemble a Tipo-2 Garand or perhaps a BM59E and thought it would be nice to have the Italian receiver.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In my reading if you decided to do the bm59, I'd pay the extra for the Italian receiver. It would be correct.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 11:27:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I agree and I disagree.  If you can find a USGI receiver without any pitting or wear, then I would not pay extra for an Italian receiver.

But some of the USGI receivers that I see are pitted and worn.  And if that's all I could find, then I would pay extra.  I have over 80 Italian receivers and none of them are pitted or worn in any way.  They are all as good as new.

If I was building a match rifle, I would consider paying extra for an Italian receiver.   That is unless I could find a 1950s Springfield or an HRA in perfect condition at a good price.

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 6:40:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Sure some USGI receivers have pitting and wear as do some Berretta receivers.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 7:59:43 AM EDT
[#12]

Here's a picture of sixty-five Italian receivers.  Not one of them is pitted or worn.  The Danish Army babied their weapons and Danish contract Italian Garand receivers are almost always in excellent condition.

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:06:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Fluffy, Italian recivers are no different than USGI, some are better condition than others. All depends on how they were used and stored.
Italian recevers are not the Holy Grail as you think, they are just steel forged into shape by man
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:21:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Fluffy, Italian recivers are no different than USGI, some are better condition than others. All depends on how they were used and stored.
Italian recevers are not the Holy Grail as you think, they are just steel forged into shape by man
View Quote

Look, I'm not here to argue with you.  I'm only trying to point out that condition is what counts.   The only reason to pay a premium for anything is if it is in better condition.  

If you can find an American receiver in good shape, then it would not make sense to pay a premium for an Italian receiver.  But if you can't find an American receiver in good shape, it makes sense to pay extra for an Italian one, because they tend to be in excellent condition.

I have never seen a Danish contract Italian receiver that was not in excellent condition and I've seen hundreds of them.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:30:09 AM EDT
[#15]
So is that why you have all of your receivers refinished???
I have seen worn Italian recivers just as I have seen worn USGI recivers
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:17:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So is that why you have all of your receivers refinished???
I have seen worn Italian recivers just as I have seen worn USGI recivers
View Quote

For the same reason why US arsenals would reparkerize Garands when rebuilding them.   But not one of my receivers is pitted, rusted, cracked or otherwise damaged.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 2:23:31 PM EDT
[#17]
If you were in Canukistan, Frontier has stripped Breda receivers cheap.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 3:55:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Here's a picture of sixty-five Italian receivers.  Not one of them is pitted or worn.  The Danish Army babied their weapons and Danish contract Italian Garand receivers are almost always in excellent condition.

<a href="http://s641.photobucket.com/user/Fluffy9lives/media/Receivers_zpsap8zfygl.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu138/Fluffy9lives/Receivers_zpsap8zfygl.jpg</a>
View Quote

You have empty space on the table. Looks like you need a few more .
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 4:10:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Perhaps we should agree that in general, any post-war receiver will tend to be in better shape.  

So, other than a large, impressive stash of receivers residing inside the Arctic circle that are pretty much unobtainable to me, and the lone CMP poster, what else do we have?

Can anyone comment on Riverbank Armory?  I see the have a checkered reputation, but this would likely not apply to receivers, as I strongly doubt these are repros being pawned off as real.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 12:52:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s641.photobucket.com/user/Fluffy9lives/media/Receivers_zpsap8zfygl.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu138/Fluffy9lives/Receivers_zpsap8zfygl.jpg</a>
View Quote

Fluffy, I have always supported you in the past when it came to Garand discussions. You seem like a good dude. I am starting to think that you have terminal Garanditis. You might need some help.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 2:50:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

In my reading if you decided to do the bm59, I'd pay the extra for the Italian receiver. It would be correct.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, for the E it would not be correct. Even for a standard BM59 its 50/50.

Remember that the E was Beretta taking lend lease Garands and upgrading them, as it was cheaper then buying new battle rifles.

Here is an E that was captured in the Falklands by the Brits.

Here are the markings from the current crop of BM59s being sold in the US as "kits"

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top