Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 2:06:49 PM EDT
[#1]
HA, page 5 is mine!

FYI, when I called in Thursday morning they were still processing orders from the 6th.  Hope that gives a few of us some hope.  They got mine on the 12th.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 4:37:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Received an email this afternoon - they had received mine on 9-8.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 11:14:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 11:18:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I signed up for the CMP forum a few days ago. Awaiting confirmation from them. It's been 4 days now? I sent a few messages asking why it's taken so long. Anyone know a mod over there?
View Quote

They are in the process of moving locations.   It's possible their computers are down.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 11:35:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 11:48:12 PM EDT
[#6]
For those that missed out,  here's a deal on a Garand for you.

http://hattiesburg.craigslist.org/atq/5752979002.html
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 9:14:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 9:37:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Ok. Just thought it was odd its taken this long. Makes sense if the mods work for CMP.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I signed up for the CMP forum a few days ago. Awaiting confirmation from them. It's been 4 days now? I sent a few messages asking why it's taken so long. Anyone know a mod over there?

They are in the process of moving locations.   It's possible their computers are down.

Ok. Just thought it was odd its taken this long. Makes sense if the mods work for CMP.

The mods don't work for the CMP, but the staff does.  If you still can't get on, let me know and I'll email a mod for you.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 9:44:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck.  I signed up about four months ago and still can't get on....
Maybe they knew me from over here and said "screw him'!  
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 9:46:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Do they still have M1s at the stores when the website shows sold out?
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 10:14:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Do they still have M1s at the stores when the website shows sold out?
View Quote

A few here and there, but not always and never more than a handful at opening.  The South store always has more than the North, which usually has none for stretches of time.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 2:55:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 8:30:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 5:05:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

lol.
buy buy buy
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol.
buy buy buy

I emailed the seller and said what it is. Might be a case of an otherwise honest seller who knows nothing about guns. I'd ask about buying it and having it shipped, but don't feel like making arrangements with a FFL on my end AND explaining to the seller the legal way to do it.

Makes me wonder-if someone bought it, and it was shipped direct with no FFL involved, is the violation on one or the other person, or on both?
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 8:27:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 9:11:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Id bet they inherited that old gun and was told it was a M1.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol.
buy buy buy

I emailed the seller and said what it is. Might be a case of an otherwise honest seller who knows nothing about guns. I'd ask about buying it and having it shipped, but don't feel like making arrangements with a FFL on my end AND explaining to the seller the legal way to do it.

Makes me wonder-if someone bought it, and it was shipped direct with no FFL involved, is the violation on one or the other person, or on both?

Id bet they inherited that old gun and was told it was a M1.

Wouldn't surprise me. I gave a rough value range and said find a local milsurp collector to get a value first. Gunshops love clueless heirs, and that ad's written like that's whet the seller is.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 4:51:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Getting a little worried.  They would have received my paperwork on 6/10 or 6/12 and they are currently working on or past 6/17.  No email or anything for me yet.  Am I screwed?
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 5:18:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Getting a little worried.  They would have received my paperwork on 6/10 or 6/12 and they are currently working on or past 6/17.  No email or anything for me yet.  Am I screwed?
View Quote

Does your order show up in E-Store? After this long I'd give them a call considering since then they've gone back on sale, off again, and some of the guys who ordered early in that batch got their rifle in a week.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 7:22:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 7:48:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Just got an email. It will be here monday!
View Quote

SN range?
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 8:09:53 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote
Nice.

This is good information.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 8:19:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 11:14:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 1:59:03 PM EDT
[#24]
I just came from the South store yesterday.  Had a Lincoln Welder class in Charlotte NC so I drove from Texas to class and stopped at Anniston on the way back.

The new south store is TINY compared to what it used to be.  It is simply a small foyer with a single rack for rifles.  Having said that the rack was indeed full up with rifles

M1 Garand drill rifles.
Refurbished M1 Garand drill rifles (one with lockbar sights).
M1903A3 drill rifles in very very poor shape.
NM M1 Garand rifles.
Field Grade M1 rifles all SA WWII with some HRA mixed in.  No lockbars or wartime cartouched stocks.
Field grade M1D's were a mix of WWII and post war.
Service grade M1's were a mix of WWII and post war rifles SA and HRA.  Some in new stocks most in original GI stocks
Service grade M1D's
Service grade M1C's
Special Grades M1, M1C and M1D a few of each with SA, HRA and even a pair of lead dipped Winnie's!

He even had 2 M1 carbines that were going out on the rack for today!

I picked up a nice SA April 44 field grade M1 with original barrel +1 +3 on the readings with a post war DAS marked stock.

I also talked with one of the guys who did the rifle grading and he said he laughs everytime he reads the forums saying they are running out of rifles.  He said they take a while to clean and inspect and that demand has been outrunning their ability to get the rifles processed for a while now.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 2:28:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

From what I can tell:

Serial numbers:
1967223 - August 1943
2494933 - December 1943
4386352 - November 1953

I know this is a wide open question but I get to choose one of them. What should I look for? I would imagine one of the 43's would be a "better" choice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SN range?

From what I can tell:

Serial numbers:
1967223 - August 1943
2494933 - December 1943
4386352 - November 1953

I know this is a wide open question but I get to choose one of them. What should I look for? I would imagine one of the 43's would be a "better" choice.

Rebuild marks, me/te numbers, stocks, rare parts, original finish, original barrel, etc.  Send me a pm when they come in if you want some help!
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 4:19:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 10:12:48 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I also talked with one of the guys who did the rifle grading and he said he laughs everytime he reads the forums saying they are running out of rifles.  He said they take a while to clean and inspect and that demand has been outrunning their ability to get the rifles processed for a while now.
View Quote

I've been saying this for a while now but no one listens.  They really don't have that large of a crew working on these guns.  

BTW did you happen to snap any pics of the new place?  I'm glad I went and finally visited the old S. Store before they moved.  Even though the racks weren't full of Garands it was still well worth the trip.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 11:56:24 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm a strange person as I do not take my phone anywhere except long trips.  Even though this was a long trip I lost it in my bag.  Besides it only takes like a 1MP picture so it's like looking at pictures on an ATARI.

The store was about 20x10 feet with a counter to your right as you walk in.  All the rifles are in a single rack on the left and further on the right is the disassembly bench.  There was probably about 30-35 rifles with the rack being about 70% full.

I really wish I could have bought one of the lead dipped Winnie's but they were just too rich for my blood 1200ish IIRC.

Quoted:

I've been saying this for a while now but no one listens.  They really don't have that large of a crew working on these guns.  

BTW did you happen to snap any pics of the new place?  I'm glad I went and finally visited the old S. Store before they moved.  Even though the racks weren't full of Garands it was still well worth the trip.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/10/2016 3:04:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 7:03:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Good looking rifle!  Clean it, grease it, and possibly replace a few springs, then take her out and start shooting.  You also need some HXP (or similar) and a few enblocs.  The springs are likely fine, but I always replace the oprod spring.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 7:58:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 11:47:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Got my dbu email today. They received my paperwork on 9/12.  The wait begins :(

This reminds me of my NFA purchases...
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 7:28:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Got my shipment email! I wasn't expecting it so soon! It's been overnighted and of course I'm out of town for business and won't be home to sign for it. I'm having it rescheduled for Monday

Can't complain, tho! Pics will follow. I am completely new to the M1 but couldn't be more excited

I sent my paperwork on 9/3 and it was "received" 9/12. I received my order confirmation (along with stating there was a 6 month backorder) on 10/3. The ship date is 11/3 and original delivery date is 11/4.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 7:48:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 9:18:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Well I made it out to the range today. What an awesome gun to shoot. I had no problem shooting a 1x1' rock at 100 yards while standing. Pretty happy for not touching the sights. Next time we go out Ill take it to a range and put it on paper. See what it can really do.
View Quote

Glad you're happy with it, it's definitely a beautiful rifle.
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 8:53:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Still haven't heard anything on what I mailed in on 9/26
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 7:54:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Well I made it out to the range today. What an awesome gun to shoot. I had no problem shooting a 1x1' rock at 100 yards while standing. Pretty happy for not touching the sights. Next time we go out Ill take it to a range and put it on paper. See what it can really do.
View Quote

Very nice M1.  On my CMP M1s,  I always replace the op rod spring right out of the box with a new USGI-spec spring from Orion 7.
I've found on a couple of M1s that the op rod spring either came kinked or was just not smooth in reciprocation (so maybe worn or weak).
Installing the Orion springs took that issue off the table, and I've not had one problem since.
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 9:30:36 PM EDT
[#38]
update for those that care

Order: 1 RM1Service
Order Sent: 9/06/16
Order Received: 9/09/16 (missing birth cert-10-4-16 notice)
DBU: 10/6/16
E-Store: 10/15/16
Case Added: 10/26/16
CC Charged: 11/2/16
Shipped: 11/4/16
Received: est- 11/8

DBU stated "up to 6 months" as an ETA
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 12:45:16 AM EDT
[#39]
I got my SG which I ordered a week after they released - came in a few weeks ago. Looks almost better than the WRA Special I got the next day.
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 9:32:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Are cmp specials ever available or is the service the one to get? I want an m1 to shoot. Main focus is not about collector value. But I would like a good looking accurate rifle. Where to order?
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 9:53:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Are cmp specials ever available or is the service the one to get? I want an m1 to shoot. Main focus is not about collector value. But I would like a good looking accurate rifle. Where to order?
View Quote

The specials are the best way to get a rifle that's as close as possible to a newly made M1. New production stock, new Criterion barrel, assorted new small parts and new park. It will be a good shooter but has less collectability-for now. You see, the Special is built up by CMP, which is a government organization. Some look at them as little more than a well done parts gun. Me, I see the Specials as one more government rebuild in a long history of government rebuilds.

That said, the only difference between the service grade I got last year and a special is $200, and mine had a virgin GI barrel instead of Criterion. I got the same new made stock, and the only thing that was not reparked was the triggerguard, which simply didn't need it.  Waiting and hoping for field grades to come up for sale again, or even rack grade. I have my pretty M1, I want one with the "been there" look to go with it.

You can also buy local market but don't forget Vaseline. Last gunshow, there was one garand. ONE. Rough enough to fit CMP rack grade criteria, and based on oprod channel may have been a reweld(didn't look closely enough to verify, and didn't ask to disassemble). H&R receiver, Italian bolt, mixed other parts. Priced at $995. I heard it sold. Based on that, my CMP Service Grade should be worth $1500+ locally if it was for sale.

ETA-as for where to order just google cmp rifle sales. There's a few hoops to jump through and the only rifles currently available are Winchester specials($1230IIRC) and some lower grade Snipers without scopes. Get your club membership document(join GCA or a similar shooting club), proof of citizenship and proof of marksmanship activity sent in. Then subscribe to their email notices and watch their site for rifles coming up for sale again. When they're available send your order immediately after finding out. They'll sell out fast yet again.
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 11:44:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The specials are the best way to get a rifle that's as close as possible to a newly made M1. New production stock, new Criterion barrel, assorted new small parts and new park. It will be a good shooter but has less collectability-for now. You see, the Special is built up by CMP, which is a government organization. Some look at them as little more than a well done parts gun. Me, I see the Specials as one more government rebuild in a long history of government rebuilds.

That said, the only difference between the service grade I got last year and a special is $200, and mine had a virgin GI barrel instead of Criterion. I got the same new made stock, and the only thing that was not reparked was the triggerguard, which simply didn't need it.  Waiting and hoping for field grades to come up for sale again, or even rack grade. I have my pretty M1, I want one with the "been there" look to go with it.

You can also buy local market but don't forget Vaseline. Last gunshow, there was one garand. ONE. Rough enough to fit CMP rack grade criteria, and based on oprod channel may have been a reweld(didn't look closely enough to verify, and didn't ask to disassemble). H&R receiver, Italian bolt, mixed other parts. Priced at $995. I heard it sold. Based on that, my CMP Service Grade should be worth $1500+ locally if it was for sale.

ETA-as for where to order just google cmp rifle sales. There's a few hoops to jump through and the only rifles currently available are Winchester specials($1230IIRC) and some lower grade Snipers without scopes. Get your club membership document(join GCA or a similar shooting club), proof of citizenship and proof of marksmanship activity sent in. Then subscribe to their email notices and watch their site for rifles coming up for sale again. When they're available send your order immediately after finding out. They'll sell out fast yet again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Decent rifles pop up from time to time for a decent price.  I just sold one on another forum for $1000 and it was just like described above.  Pretty much a CMP special with a NOS USGI barrel that I was shipped as a regular service grade.  I have a few of these and save them as shooters, but personally always hope for the older rebuilds when I place an order.
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 9:52:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Here she is!

</a>" />

</a>" />

</a>" />

</a>" />

</a>" />

</a>" />

</a>" />

So, what do I have here? Serial number tells me August 1942, I believe? Also, the CMP cartouche is the only one on the stock.

Also, it has a WRA stamp on the trigger group
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 1:15:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Mixmaster (no surprise since almost all are ) that's been reparked and put in a new wood stock.  Basically a Service Special with a GI barrel
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 2:07:09 PM EDT
[#45]
They now have  field grades available for $630.
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 7:58:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/17/2016 1:26:54 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

^%$^!
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 12:38:35 PM EDT
[#48]
I just received a call from CMP. The CC i had entered on the form was hacked last month and CMP called for an update CC #. I mailed my paperwork on 09/26 for a Service Grade and thought I missed the cutoff. The gal on the phone stated it should be shipping in Jan 2017.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 1:06:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Just mailed stuff for Service Grade today.
*snip*
View Quote

Update: Received email on 10/28/16 stating Order Received on 9/30/16
"We have received and verified your recent order.  You will receive other emails as the order progresses. Please note, the Service grade rifles are on backorder while the armorers work more rifles and it could be up to 6 months or longer."
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 10:33:07 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't hold your breath.

A lot of what the CMP charitably labels as  "FG"  M1s now would've been rated as for-shit rackers back even 5 years ago.

That said, I bought a S.A. FG at the NS a few months ago. TE gauged 3, with a ME of like, 4 or 5. Predictably, it shot like crap.

Not a problem.  I'm having it turned into a .308 Mini-G by Shuff. Always wanted one of those.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top