Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2016 1:19:37 AM EDT
I have little experience with M1 Carbines, and when I field stripped an improperly assembled
AMAC M1 carbine repro, I noticed these gouges in the recessed area of the Op rod/Slide where the bolt lug
travels. Is this normal? If not, what would cause this?

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 5:34:40 AM EDT
[#1]
That is not normal.  Not hard enough metal at the contact point with the lug and oprod.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 7:15:03 PM EDT
[#2]
My guess is someone relieved it to get it to fit right because something was out of spec.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 4:15:44 PM EDT
[#3]
It looks like it peened its way to fitting because one or the other was not matching up.  Although I agree the steel the slide is made from might be a bit too soft, I would just keep an eye on it.  If it doesn't get any worse, I wouldn't worry about it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 7:22:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm thinking the receiver it was on was a little wonky and the bolt didn't roll as far as it normally would.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:11:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Guys,
I haven't seen peeing/mushrooming that bad since getting rid of a couple Century Golanis(Galil clones) years ago.

Yeah, the metal on the slide might be too soft.This is after all an AMAC repro. There is little to no equal wear on the bolt's locking lug.
Think it's still safe to shoot?

If I were to replace the slide/op rod with a surplus GI, what should I go with? There's like 6 or 7 different slides out there with questionable
availability
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:37:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Guys,
I haven't seen peeing/mushrooming that bad since getting rid of a couple Century Golanis(Galil clones) years ago.

Yeah, the metal on the slide might be too soft.This is after all an AMAC repro. There is little to no equal wear on the bolt's locking lug.

If I were to replace the slide/op rod with a surplus GI, what should I go with? There's like 6 or 7 different slides out there with questionable
availability
View Quote

I would go with the Type IV, V, or VI.( later M2) version.  Stay away from the Type III, as the joint at the arm/front connection is thinner and breakage can occur.  I would prefer the Type V or Type VI. The deflector on the top is reshaped to help deflect brass a bit differently.  The bolt cam on both is slightly modified to provide a slight delay in opening, to cut down spark/flame. Type Vs may(MAY, not all will be marked) be marked "7160091" and Type VIs may be marked "7161843".  You may find modified Type Vs that look like VIs, but will be marked with the Type V number.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 1:38:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I would go with the Type IV, V, or VI.( later M2) version.  Stay away from the Type III, as the joint at the arm/front connection is thinner and breakage can occur.  I would prefer the Type V or Type VI. The deflector on the top is reshaped to help deflect brass a bit differently.  The bolt cam on both is slightly modified to provide a slight delay in opening, to cut down spark/flame. Type Vs may(MAY, not all will be marked) be marked "7160091" and Type VIs may be marked "7161843".  You may find modified Type Vs that look like VIs, but will be marked with the Type V number.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Guys,

availability

Awesome info!
Where is the best place to find a IV, V, or VI Slide? Would these slides be drop in replacement parts on an AMAC(Iver Johnson) or would they need to be fitted?

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:52:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Awesome info!
Where is the best place to find a IV, V, or VI Slide? Would these slides be drop in replacement parts on an AMAC(Iver Johnson) or would they need to be fitted?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Guys,

availability

Awesome info!

There should be(SHOULD ) no fitting required.  They are supposed to be a drop in part. You can probably find the slides on Gunbroker, eBay, Sarco, Numrich, or a Gunshow.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top