Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2016 6:54:23 PM EDT
I'm getting ready to fire a bunch of test loads through my SG carbine, and I want to make sure I have a good idea of how the loads work, both in terms of accuracy and in terms of functioning the action.  Recovering my brass is also a priority.

Commercial rounds have ejected in inconsistent directions with both my current carbine and the Iver Johnson I had in the past.  I've read conflicting information about where a GI carbine should eject brass from GI rounds; some sources say "over the shooter's right shoulder" while others say "off the slide hump and forward to the right".  This is really confusing.

I'm familiar with "the chart" for AR15 ejection - and how much weight some people place on it, but the M1 Carbine is a completely different gun.  If you feed a functioning M1 consistent ammunition, it should consistently eject in one direction or another, right?

So...  With your GI carbine and with GI or GI-equivalent ammunition, where does your brass go?
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 7:55:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine have shot them all over the place, if my memory serves me correct. (been a while since I shot mine.  But I shot garands and carbines quite a bit at one time in my life)  Some may go over the right shoulder.  But some BTF like a bad Glock.  Some to the left.  Etc etc.  My garand ejects them very consistently at 1-2 o clock.  The op rod handle hits it forward when the bolt is closing.  But not the carbines I've ever owned or shot.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 8:24:30 PM EDT
[#2]
A late version V or VI slide with a later flat face ejector will usually  give the most consistent ejection pattern. Mine throw brass over the right shoulder.

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/slides.html

scroll down about 3/4 page:
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/bolts.html
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 8:57:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine has a flat bolt with a flat ejector, but a Type III slide.  I'm hoping that the ejection will be at least in one general direction.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:14:31 PM EDT
[#4]
To the right. Where to the right depends on the ammo. It also depends on the Carbine as each one has its own quirks. Shape of the front of the slide makes a difference.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 12:31:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I actually depends upon which op rod you install.  The original versions with a 90
°
cam threw the brass more toward the rear and the shooter's face.  Later versions with an angled cam front throw it at 2-3 o'clock  See the difference HERE.  I swapped my early version for a later, angled version because I got tired of dodging hot brass.

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 5:52:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Type III slide, but with what I've fired in it, the gun doesn't try to bean me with the brass.

Sadly, both work and weather have kept me away from the range since I loaded these test loads, but responses here have me better prepared.  I think...  So, if I put my bench top brass catcher at my right elbow, I think I should be able to catch my brass.  I may still need a spotter for the first few rounds, but that's not a huge problem.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 9:59:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Mine throws brass into a general cloud type pattern.  No complaints though; it runs like a top.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 9:37:27 AM EDT
[#8]
As long as it runs it does not matter - shoot at a clean range of put some tarps down to aid in brass recovery
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 2:14:15 PM EDT
[#9]
I thought that's why you have kids.  I make mine pick up the brass.  I may help a little here and there, but the kids save my knees.  
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 8:40:55 PM EDT
[#10]
My "kid" is 28 and works more hours than I do - he'll be more than happy to help, but finding range time for both of us is a challenge.  And "clean range" is another problem issue: lately none of the local ranges is particularly clean because it's been raining (unusually frequently) a lot lately, so they're muddied and difficult to police.  
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 1:24:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I was kidding.  My kids are still younger.  Gotta see the upsides.  Although my Daughter turned 13 today and my son is going to be 16.  Teenage land.  Wooooohooooo!!!!  But they're very good brass picker uppers at this point.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top