Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2016 6:12:27 PM EDT
I am tempted to get one of my field grade CMP garands a BM59 make over by Shuffs.

The only thing thats keeping me from doing this is that I cring at the thought of cutting up a piece of history.

Its an HRA Korean War era receiver.  Obviously its a mix master of parts but it has the original barrel with lots of life left.  ME 2+, TE 3.

The stock is crap and actually has a chunk missing from it.  The blue finish on the rifle is pretty worn, but you can tell its honest wear from use.

Sooooooo should I do it?  Just be happy with it and purchase a correct stock?
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 6:33:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Its just steel and wood, nothing Holy, if you want a BM59 do it .  Shuff is the man for the build.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 7:34:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I placed an order for three FG's this week and plan to use two for donor receivers to send to Tim and have the machine work done.  I am going keep an eye on Esarco to see what the receivers they offer will be as I hate the thought of cutting up good Garands.  I will do it, but would rather not.  The thing is, after parting out a FG, the receiver itself will be pretty cheap.  I'm not sure I would use a HRA, Winchester, or IHC.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:05:13 PM EDT
[#3]
If I can get to the N or S Store I wan to try to find a few drill M1's to recover the receivers to turn into tankers or BM59's.  I just cant justify doing it to a good receiver.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:11:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If I can get to the N or S Store I wan to try to find a few drill M1's to recover the receivers to turn into tankers or BM59's.  I just cant justify doing it to a good receiver.  
View Quote

I understand, but a FG is likely the cheapest option after selling off the parts.  I am personally not interested in recovering the drill rifles based on their cost and what I have heard are left in the stores.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 11:43:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm not usually all "Keep it stock or kittens will die"  type of a thing.  But for some reason it still sounds all wrong to me.  Just telling you my thoughts.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 6:54:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm not usually all "Keep it stock or kittens will die"  type of a thing.  But for some reason it still sounds all wrong to me.  Just telling you my thoughts.  
View Quote

I am a strict "keep it stock or kittens will die" when it comes to milsurps, but this is a situation where the options are VERY limited.  I am going to wait for the FG rifles to show up and see what they are before committing.  Maybe the eSarco receivers will be half way decent.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 1:30:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Seems to me that a Garand ought to stay a Garand, at this stage of the game.  AR's are good for messing with.  Dime a dozen.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 2:23:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Seems to me that a Garand ought to stay a Garand, at this stage of the game.  AR's are good for messing with.  Dime a dozen.
View Quote

AR's  became boring to me a few years ago.  I still have a bunch of them, but they aren't nearly as interesting as milsurps to me.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 2:51:29 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I understand, but a FG is likely the cheapest option after selling off the parts.  I am personally not interested in recovering the drill rifles based on their cost and what I have heard are left in the stores.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really. Shuffs is a trade the whole M1 plus $995 of your money and get a BM59 in return

The Sarco rifles are a better buy at that point

ETA: or are you saying buy the kit and just pay for the reciever mods?
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 12:28:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

AR's  became boring to me a few years ago.  I still have a bunch of them, but they aren't nearly as interesting as milsurps to me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You got an 03A3?  I haven't shot mine in a while. but for some reason I find that one more fun than a garand or any of the ones I've shot.  I don't know why.  I just like bolt guns I think.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 1:31:34 AM EDT
[#11]
No "ping"....
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:31:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:You got an 03A3?  I haven't shot mine in a while. but for some reason I find that one more fun than a garand or any of the ones I've shot.  I don't know why.  I just like bolt guns I think.
View Quote

Sure do.  I like by milsurp bolt actions more than the semi's, but I prefer the M39 and K11 to the US rifles.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:53:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The only thing thats keeping me from doing this is that I cring at the thought of cutting up a piece of history.
View Quote

Don't cring.  You would be simply following the historical evolution of the rifle, albeit from the perspective of another country.  The Italians received many USGI Garands after the war and these were the basis for the BM59 program.  I have read that very few, if any, Italian military BM59s were made from new receivers.  Many USGI rifles lived on in a modernized form to serve in a NATO country long after we retired them.

Here are some examples:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top