Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2016 5:08:26 AM EDT
holy hell do these things get up there..

I was bidding on one of the Garands currently on auction and was good with bid of up to $1500.00 for that particular rifle..but its now north of 2k.

not really complaining, just observing...
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:54:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
holy hell do these things get up there..

I was bidding on one of the Garands currently on auction and was good with bid of up to $1500.00 for that particular rifle..but its now north of 2k.

not really complaining, just observing...
View Quote

The CMP auction pieces have been over priced for years.  I guess it because their best stuff is auction only.  I remember a couple of never issued Garands (still in original paper) that ended up going for over 5k.  They could t even guarantee they were never issued but it was assumed with the paper and twine.  Even the IHC Garands go for way more on the auctions then they do on the boards or open markets.  I wish I knew why?!?!?
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 7:12:38 AM EDT
[#2]
CMP auctions are not real world pricing. People with very deep pockets will pay anything becuase its from CMP.. You could stamp a pile of dog crap with CMP logo and somone would buy it on the auction
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:11:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
CMP auctions are not real world pricing. People with very deep pockets will pay anything becuase its from CMP.. You could stamp a pile of dog crap with CMP logo and somone would buy it on the auction
View Quote

But does that dog crap come with the CMP certificate?
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 5:00:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Ha, It may:)
Heck there was a bunch of used toothbrushes that the Greeks used to clean rifles that they put up on the auction that went for stupid money. I bet they were laughing their butts off that somene bought them
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:59:05 AM EDT
[#5]
I overpaid on a carbine not too long ago but knew it going into it and couldn't find one locally for the longest time.  All in all I knew what I was getting into but always wanted a carbine.  I missed out out on the last big batch of them a few years ago.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 2:29:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Heck there was a bunch of used toothbrushes that the Greeks used to clean rifles that they put up on the auction that went for stupid money. I bet they were laughing their butts off that somene bought them
View Quote

this is true?

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 2:33:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 3:12:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I remember something like that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

this is true?

http://cmpauction.thecmp.org/detail.asp?id=2367&n=Greek-Brushes-removed-from-M1-Stocks-38-pieces
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 6:21:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

this is true?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this is true?

Why would I lie ???
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 4:42:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Why would I lie ???
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

this is true?

Why would I lie ???

not accusing you of lying, just wasn't sure if there was hidden sarcasm in there or not...
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 6:43:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

not accusing you of lying, just wasn't sure if there was hidden sarcasm in there or not...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

this is true?

Why would I lie ???

I linked it above
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 1:02:09 PM EDT
[#12]
The government made $51 off of Greek used brushes.  Seriously, I'm going to take a shit, donate it to CMP.  They'll slap on a cert and it will probably bring $100 or more.
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

this is true?

http://cmpauction.thecmp.org/detail.asp?id=2367&n=Greek-Brushes-removed-from-M1-Stocks-38-pieces

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 1:07:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:33:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

CMP is not the government.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The government made $51 off of Greek used brushes.  Seriously, I'm going to take a shit, donate it to CMP.  They'll slap on a cert and it will probably bring $100 or more.

CMP is not the government.

They are not the government but they are a part of it.  They are literally an act of congress.  They don't buy US military surplus and all US military surplus is sold through them.  Most of the current Garands were in the hands of the Greeks for over 30 years on a lend lease from the US government.  The money raised on sold goods goes back to the government and various shooting programs, especially youth related ones.  When Obama was basically forced to offer up over 100,000 1911s this past October why do you think people started emailing the CMP like crazy?  They are literally the only ones that will sell them.  Think of CMP as a non for profit organization that is owned and controlled by Congress.  Up until 1996 they were controlled by the Army.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 6:22:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Lets get this right:
CMP is a tax-exempt non-profit 501(c)(3) corporation chartered by the U.S. Congress, but is not an agency of the U.S. government (Title 36, United States Code, Section 40701 et seq.).
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 6:39:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Lets get this right:
CMP is a tax-exempt non-profit 501(c)(3) corporation chartered by the U.S. Congress, but is not an agency of the U.S. government (Title 36, United States Code, Section 40701 et seq.).
View Quote

Correct, a shorter version of what I was trying to say.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 12:33:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 3:37:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Im not bitter towards CMP at all. I just have to laugh at people who will buy anything that is sold by CMP that is basicallly worthless
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top