Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/12/2015 10:27:50 AM EDT
Anyone know of a good source for a 1903 Springfield? I just registered on the CMP forums, but it would seem I can't start a thread yet. Gunbroker wants $$$$, and I know there's decent examples out there for a good bit less than $1300. But where? I know 6 months back or so I had located a vendor that was selling them for around $600 but I can't seem to find them again. I would like to purchase both a 1903 and a Garand this tax season.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 11:03:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Usual sources.  Gunshows, GB, etc.  They're not that uncommon.  A decent one in today's market will likely be north of $700, possibly more depending on local market conditions.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 11:13:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I know condition is everything, but an example in good condition could be expected to be around what? Because I see them on Gunbroker for like $100-1300 and that just seems like to much, even for a nice one.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 11:54:24 PM EDT
[#3]
AIM surplus has them on occasion...
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 12:10:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

They are recovered drill rifle receivers aren't they?
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 12:34:52 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not sure

Link Posted: 11/13/2015 7:41:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 9:11:19 AM EDT
[#7]
When my Father passed, I got his O3A3. Unfortunately, he discarded the original stock and put a Fajen sporter stock on it and left the action as is. I looked online and people want $200 for an O3A3 stock. Ammo is not cheap either. But it is a hoot to shoot. I may bite the bullet and purchase an original stock after the Holidays. If anyone has a reliable source recommendation, I would like to hear it.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 3:55:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I would prefer the A3, it doesn't have to be a show room piece just correct with a decent bore. Can that not be found now days for $600 (now not a beat to hell pile of parts either)
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 7:33:35 AM EDT
[#9]
I think you are behind the times on pricing.  Just like Garands, for a run of the mill rifle you are looking at between $800 and $1200 on the street.  CMP prices a bit lower, but they are no longer selling the 03s.  

Of course, some nice examples will command a much higher price, and you might find a lower priced one here and there because someone doesn't want it anymore, they don't know how to research prices, or they are simply happy to make someone a deal.

The ones you see for about $600 are usually going to be questionable rebuilds, or crappy sporterized models.  Not saying they won't work well, but they are not going to be original or semi-original.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 11:21:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The M1903 rifle is still common enough depending on what model you want and what degree of originality you want.  The best model was the Model '03A3 (M1903A3) with the rear mounted sights.  The most romantic is the original M1903 of WW1 SGT York fame -- even though he didn't use it.  :)  I'm happy to have both models.  I once owned a M1903A4 but was offered a stupid amount of money for it.

Like any US military rifle the M1903 went thru depot clean and repair probably several times during it's service life.  Mine "first year of issue" -- 1905 -- went thru at least two.  The first converted it from .30-03 to .30-06 caliber and another time it got a late WW1 reinforced stock.

There are also many modern M1903 builds on original receivers with almost all other parts including the barrels of recent manufacture.

According to no less authority as General Hatcher the M1917 Rifle, the primary rifle of US Forces in WW1, was the best rifle of that war.  Was consigned to war stocks after the war to keep Springfield Armor busy.  The M1917 Rifles did not age well and extraction problems were a major problem 20 years after WW1 when the Philippine Army was issued them during the Japanese invasion.

The low number receiver "problem" is also reputed to be an attempt to generate production at Springfield Armory.  An insignificant number of M1903 rifles blew up.  All with minor injury and almost universally caused by greased cartridges and 7.92 Mauser cartridges (!).  These rifles were never withdrawn from service.  The sky wasn't falling then -- or now.

-- Chuck

View Quote

An excellent post with great info.
The 1903A3 is a true riflemans rifle.
The model of 1917 is awesome as well.
Get both!
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 11:44:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I have no seen this, may be worth a look.
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?p=1380790#post1380790
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 7:42:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 7:47:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Is it safe to say CMP has sold all of theirs by now?

Check random small town gun stores.

I picked up my Krag in one in Missouri - 'course it's been nearly 20 years now.

There's still gotta be some crusty old farts who don't do that internet thing, but there's less and less of them every day.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 12:53:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
When my Father passed, I got his O3A3. Unfortunately, he discarded the original stock and put a Fajen sporter stock on it and left the action as is. I looked online and people want $200 for an O3A3 stock. Ammo is not cheap either. But it is a hoot to shoot. I may bite the bullet and purchase an original stock after the Holidays. If anyone has a reliable source recommendation, I would like to hear it.
View Quote

A friend of mine built his 03A3 around a NOS barrel that fell into his lap(then father in law gave him a bunch of parts). Got his stock from Sarco but had nothing but problems. First stock was cracked. Sent back and got a good stock but cracked handguard. Took two more returns and three months to get a good stock and good handguard, but it looks good.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:08:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 3:47:15 PM EDT
[#16]
The three gun boards I check the most for 1903 Springfields or Garands are AR15.com, M14forum and the CMPforum.  I've missed out on several rifles by thinking too long about making the deal.  You have to be ready to buy when you see one you think you want.  

You should be able to pick up a clean 1903A1 or 1903A3 for $700 to $800 + shipping if you keep your eyes peeled and check the gun boards daily.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top