Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2015 9:22:31 PM EDT
Tell me about the Springfield M1A.....considering one, as it's a mixture of big ass bullet/nostalgia for me, as I was a designated marksman in Iraq and was issued an old wood stocked M14.

Trying to decide what model would be optimal for my uses, which is nothing more than a range toy/addition to the arsenal. The huge 22" model is totally out of the question. It's too big for me.

I like the SOCOM 16, but it's retarded expensive.... $1699.  

The Squad Scout with 18" barrel is interesting, and the fact it's only $1550 for the OD or FDE stocked versions. 18" seems like it'd be more versatile.

Wouldn't put optics on it most likely.....would just run irons.

Thoughts? Advice?
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:32:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I own both the Scout Squad and the USGI version (mine has actual USGI parts in it).

The Scout Squad is more versatile, shorter OAL, but still can handle distance shots.

Here's mine with an SEI Vortex Flash hider, SEI Gas-Lock Front Sight, SEI lower sling swivel tail, and enhanced Bolt Catch; not shown is the Sadlak NM guide rod and enhanced magazine release. THe stock is a USGI Fiberglass stock with the rubber buttpad off the OEM stock.

Is a good rifle, I like it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:40:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Of the two, the 18" Scout is your best choice for iron sights, especially if you use a muzzle device retained with a castle nut.

My Scout right before I tried my first EBR.

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:50:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Of the two, the 18" Scout is your best choice for iron sights, especially if you use a muzzle device retained with a castle nut.

My Scout right before I tried my first EBR.

http://www.athenswater.com/images/img13.jpg
View Quote

No arguments from me; the Scout is the better of the two.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 7:34:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 1:22:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a loaded that is fun to shoot, accurate and has run fine, albeit I don't have tons of rounds through it.  

Could you share what you think about this platform in the DM role.  Maintenance, shooting at distance.  Etc....  Just curious as to what your experience is with it.  It's a controversial rifle and opinions for some reason run so hot and cold about it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 4:45:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My "scout" is heavier than my standard "M14" model.  Shorter, sure, but heavier.

I prefer the standard model.  Other than the receiver this one is all USGI (HRA).

-- Chuck
View Quote

Remove the factory scout mount from the barrel & make it a Bush rifle, that will get the weight down.
If you want to run scout optics, the scout hand guard from M14.ca is very light.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 5:02:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Look at my previous post, my Scout has an Ultimak M8 upper rail; is an option. My only thing with it is that because the rail is bolted unto the barrel itself, when the barrel gets hot from repeated firing - the rail does as well.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:37:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Look at my previous post, my Scout has an Ultimak M8 upper rail; is an option. My only thing with it is that because the rail is bolted unto the barrel itself, when the barrel gets hot from repeated firing - the rail does as well.
View Quote

The M8 does get hot. The SHG attaches to the barrel in a similar fashion, but it's lighter, and runs cooler.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:14:20 PM EDT
[#9]
The one feature of the Ultimak M8 rail that i like is how low profile it is... Despite it getting hot; it is nice and low. Besides, i wear gloves most of the time, so the heat doesn't bother me much.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:27:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The one feature of the Ultimak M8 rail that i like is how low profile it is... Despite it getting hot; it is nice and low. Besides, i wear gloves most of the time, so the heat doesn't bother me much.
View Quote

Yes sir, and the M8 & SHG share the same low profile.
You can co-witness your iron sights through an Aimpoint or other RDS that sits low on either of the railed hand guards.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:49:20 PM EDT
[#11]
They are pure sex.  Just pick one up and hold it, look down the sights.  You will want one.  

I have heard more than one person say they wish they didn't get the heavy barrel.  I have a Springfield Loaded with a stainless medium weight air gauged Douglas barrel and I am extremely happy with it. Loaded models come with National Match triggers and sights.  

Mine came with a factory black nylon/fiberglass stock.  I have held a few with rail systems and they seem to be bulky and heavy as fuck.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 3:38:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Stock/stamndard M1A for approximately $1200-$1250 {Not loaded, not match, no special options} just a special rifle
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:51:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top