Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2015 4:26:01 PM EDT
Hi Guys, was going to order a few M14 mags and was wondering whats a good place to get them from? Are the CMI ones from 44mag.com any good? The ones I got are all marked with the SA logo on them and have been flawless.

Thanks

Dave
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 4:38:20 PM EDT
[#1]
44mag.com
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 5:09:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Are the CMI ones from 44mag.com any good?
The ones I got are all marked with the SA logo on them and have been flawless.

Thanks

Dave
View Quote

Dave,

CMI makes the SA logo mags.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 5:33:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Great, thanks for the info, thats what I'll get. 44Mag seems to be the best prices and free shipping to boot.

Thanks

Dave
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 6:59:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 7:31:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Midwest industries has CMI m14 mags for something like 28 a pop best deal on name brand I've found yet
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 7:50:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Good stuff, raf

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
After you receive your new mags, dis-assemble them one at a time, and clean them thoroughly with alcohol.  At this point, once you have thoroughly de-oiled the mag bodies, I suggest you paint them, inside and out, with Brownell's AlumaHyde II paint in a color of your choice.  Why?  Because new Parkerizing, thoroughly de-greased is an almost perfect paintable surface, and the AL II epoxy paint will rustproof your mags until 10 years from now when the springs wear through both the paint and underlying Parkerizing.  I've done this, and it works.

If you don't want to do the above, then since the mags  are probably parkerized, then coat the inside and outside of the mag body with a thin film of lubricant.  Do the same to the follower and most especially the spring.   If any parts are blued, as opposed to parkerized, apply a good coat of auto WAX, not polish.  This will keep the blueing from rusting, but you will need to renew the wax every so often, depending on usage.

If you have older mags, take measurements of the new springs while you have the new mags dis-assembled.  Your old mag springs should not be more than two coils shorter than the new springs.  If so, replace them, and order some extra springs for the future, if you happen upon some mags that simply need new springs to make them work.  Mag springs with rust pitting should either be relegated to range use, or discarded.  Discoloration remaining after removal of surface rust is tolerable, but pitting, unless very minor, as in a few tiny spots, is problematic.  Range use only, and buy the replacement springs before Hillary gets elected, heaven forbid.  

Mag springs, and followers are wear components, although most folks don't think of them as such, but they should.  both of these components wear out with use.

Concur with advice to buy CMI mags from 44mag.com, as they are also GI-issue, and currently as good as it gets; Fully on par with the best of the NIW GI mags, seldom seen nowadays.  I've done so myself, FWIW.

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/7/2015 8:20:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I've always gotten mine from 44Mag
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 8:23:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 8:37:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thank you for the positive comment.  Your agreement with my previous post should, I think, be taken in context with the occasional disagreements we have had, and so has greater force thereby.

View Quote

Yes sir!
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 9:13:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I've always gotten mine from 44Mag
View Quote
Yes good business.

Link Posted: 8/10/2015 11:36:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Ordered mine for 44mag as well!
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 12:37:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks guys, I ordered three mags last night.
Glad to know the CMI are the same as SA.
Thanks
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 2:27:07 PM EDT
[#13]
For future reference.

Keep an eye out for sales at Desert Warrior Products (DWP).
I have scored deep discounts on CMI mags using DWP coupon
codes even though the mags weren't featured/advertised.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 1:10:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Check the equipment exchange.  I've managed to get NIW checkmate mags for $20 a pop.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 10:31:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Are the Checkmates pretty good? I have quite a few USGI mags that I scored from pawn shops from Fayetteville when I was in the Army. They have been great mags. Would just like to add more.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 7:32:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 4:23:05 PM EDT
[#17]
I have to concur with 44mag. I bought from them a while ago with CMI mags and they have yet to fail me. The funny thing is back in the mid 90s before the AWB, the CMI mags were considered "inferior" deck gun magazines and everyone was going nuts with USGI. Then the AWB hit and suddenly CMI became the best of the best.

As it currently stands, CMI is the only producer of USGI magazines and if they decide to go mil contract only or if they decide to stop selling to the public, you're really screwed. So it's a good idea to buy several extras as they are a major investment and prices will continue to go up.

However, I like the used USGI mags of various flavors. I have been buying from Fulton Armory and they are a tad bit better in my opinion and it has a "look" to it. They are legit USGI magazines and not clones/fakes.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 6:41:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
After you receive your new mags, dis-assemble them one at a time, and clean them thoroughly with alcohol.  At this point, once you have thoroughly de-oiled the mag bodies, I suggest you paint them, inside and out, with Brownell's AlumaHyde II paint in a color of your choice.  Why?  Because new Parkerizing, thoroughly de-greased is an almost perfect paintable surface, and the AL II epoxy paint will rustproof your mags until 10 years from now when the springs wear through both the paint and underlying Parkerizing.  I've done this, and it works.

If you don't want to do the above, then since the mags  are probably parkerized, then coat the inside and outside of the mag body with a thin film of lubricant.  Do the same to the follower and most especially the spring.   If any parts are blued, as opposed to parkerized, apply a good coat of auto WAX, not polish.  This will keep the blueing from rusting, but you will need to renew the wax every so often, depending on usage.

If you have older mags, take measurements of the new springs while you have the new mags dis-assembled.  Your old mag springs should not be more than two coils shorter than the new springs.  If so, replace them, and order some extra springs for the future, if you happen upon some mags that simply need new springs to make them work.  Mag springs with rust pitting should either be relegated to range use, or discarded.  Discoloration remaining after removal of surface rust is tolerable, but pitting, unless very minor, as in a few tiny spots, is problematic.  Range use only, and buy the replacement springs before Hillary gets elected, heaven forbid.  

Mag springs, and followers are wear components, although most folks don't think of them as such, but they should.  both of these components wear out with use.

Concur with advice to buy CMI mags from 44mag.com, as they are also GI-issue, and currently as good as it gets; Fully on par with the best of the NIW GI mags, seldom seen nowadays.  I've done so myself, FWIW.

View Quote

Lubricant and wax combined. Like Frank's hot sauce, " I put that sh*t on everything".
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 11:25:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Another 44mag.com fan here for CMI mags, good prices, free shipping and fast.

Hking
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 3:32:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 7:58:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
As it currently stands, CMI is the only producer of USGI magazines and if they decide to go mil contract only or if they decide to stop selling to the public, you're really screwed. So it's a good idea to buy several extras as they are a major investment and prices will continue to go up.
View Quote

Check-Mate Industries has been the sole supplier to Uncle Sam for M14 magazines since 1985.  They did not sell to the public, only to SA, Inc., until 2006.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 5:47:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 6:04:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
For those who don't know, Different is widely acknowledged as THE M-14 Guru.

More to the point: he is an author of a number of widely-read articles, and a number of acclaimed books about the M-14.
When Different talks about the M-14, I shut up and listen.  YMMV.  
View Quote

Hell of an M14 historian, and a really nice guy - I met him in Vegas @ SHOT show.
Different is also the owner of a rare select fire M14 E2.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 2:35:27 PM EDT
[#24]
On t5hat not; where can I get a rebuild kit for M1A magazines (followers, springs & floor plates)? I have two of the "fake" Westinghouse magazines and have the bodies and would like to replace the no-name internals with something new. I got these on a purchase of a pre ban M1A and they are obviously fakes (looking at the weld spots and their location).
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:18:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have to ask... Why do you recommend alcohol ? I have been in the Paint / Coatings trade for decades... and alcohol would be the last thing I would use to "degrease" a metallic object.

No offense intended at all... but I keep reading this recommendation about alcohol for degreasing. Even "FireClean" lube says to use denatured alcohol prior to the first application.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top