Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2015 10:51:55 PM EDT
Does anyone here have one of the new Inland or Rock-Ola Carbines?

https://www.inland-mfg.com/index.html

https://www.jamesriverarmory.com/why-rockola.html

Link Posted: 7/22/2015 7:14:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 7:22:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Damn the Rockola looks fantastic, but the $1295 price tag is ridiculous for an M1 Carbine.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 7:36:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Damn the Rockola looks fantastic, but the $1295 price tag is ridiculous for an M1 Carbine.
View Quote

Pretty much the whole story in a nutshell of the redos of the old favorites

Take a old warhorse that Uncle Sam likely paid $32 for in 1945 by the millions and try to make a couple thousand at a time in todays world
and if you do it right with any profit and the price is pretty crazy.

Is the $1295 list price or is that what they go for?

When I first got a carbine years ago (I am old as dirt ) You could get a mostly correct decent condition gun and ammo was $9 a box . I got a great shooter that was dripping with history

Link Posted: 7/22/2015 7:52:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Take a old warhorse that Uncle Sam likely paid $32 for in 1945 by the millions and try to make a couple thousand at a time in todays world

When I first got a carbine years ago (I am old as dirt ) You could get a mostly correct decent condition gun and ammo was $9 a box . I got a great shooter that was dripping with history

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

On the websites from the OP, that's what you purchase it at. I couldn't find it at any other vendor.

While not all USGI spec, the Auto Ordnance  M1 Carbine can be had for ~$650 and with GI mags it runs pretty well. If these were to come down enough to compete with that, I'm sure they would sell more. Since not much R&D had to be done, I'm not sure why the costs are that high.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 9:27:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Why not just pick up a used Inland for $600-$800? These won't have ANY resale value because the have no collector value.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 9:35:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Why not just pick up a used Inland for $600-$800? These won't have ANY resale value because the have no collector value.
View Quote

I haven't found any even close to that. That were worth having, anyway. Plus who buys a gun based on resale value
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 9:50:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I am very happy with my 'new' Rock-Ola...although I have added a few features.
</a>
View Quote

That is awesome!
Specs on add ons?
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 4:50:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 6:25:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I was thinking about CMP carbine matches.  These would appear to be more accurate than a GI carbine.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 7:41:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I haven't seen it "in person" but the Rock-Ola version has a receiver machined from bar stock.
The Inland uses a cast receiver.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 10:21:11 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a '43 NPM GI carbine that's in pristine condition and too valuable to shoot so I looked at the alternatives.  While the Rock-Ola and and Inland are fine examples, I personally think that they bought the rights to the names to pretend they are the real GI versions (and price them that way as well) when their not.  Both of they finish them to look like old versions and while they are likely fine examples, they are commercial companies with no ties, no heritage to the original WWII manufacturers.
Back in 2012, I was looking for a good condition shooter in the $600-$700 range and all I could find in GI carbines were shot out, worn out examples that were not worth considering.  Convinced that I wanted a decent shooting carbine, I looked to an Auto Ordnance M1 Carbine to use as a shooter and I couldn't be happier.  I left it stock save for swapping out the flip rear sight for a Type II adjustable one.  It's much more accurate than my GI version, capable of producing 2" groups at 100 yds when shot by someone with better eyes than me, even though my NPM GI carbine has a new condition, original Marlin barrel.
Further, at ½ the price of the Rock-Ola and Inland versions and looking for all the world just like my original, I can shoot the heck out of it and not worry about ruining a piece of history.  So, if you have the money and want the name, by all means get what calls to you.  But if you're looking for a reasonably priced m1 Carbine clone that's reliable and accurate, give the Auto Ordnance a look.
TOP:  My pristine, high wood 1943 NPM GI M1 Carbine I've had since 1974, below my NIB Auto Ordnance M1 Carbine with added Type II rear sight.  

(BTW, the apparent difference in stock length is simply the effect of the wide angle lens I used.  The AO is nearly identical to the real M1 Carbine.)

Link Posted: 7/24/2015 8:30:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I haven't seen it "in person" but the Rock-Ola version has a receiver machined from bar stock.
The Inland uses a cast receiver.
View Quote

That is good to know.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:53:01 PM EDT
[#13]
I just bought a GI Inland for my six year old daughter. It is all early configuration,  even has the pushbutton safety. Paid 475 out the door for it.  Compliments my NPM nicely.  I want a new one but I don't know which to get. I may just buy one of those Puma 9mm carbine clone things though.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:01:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Who was it making repros a couple of years back , Kahr?

I took a quick look at one in a shop and it looked decent but then I never heard much about them . do I have the name right and are they still made?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:33:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I took a quick look at one in a shop and it looked decent but then I never heard much about them . do I have the name right and are they still made?
View Quote

Kahr/Auto Ordnance
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 4:53:00 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Kahr/Auto Ordnance
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Kahr/Auto Ordnance

That's what mine is above.  The AO carbine comes with 1944 style controls; flip sight, no bayo lug,
and push button safety, however, it comes with the M2 Carbine's mag
release with the extra tail so it works great with 30 rd mags too so the Korean 15 and 30 rd mags I got from AIM Surplus work great with it.  
I like it and after well over 2,000 rds, it's still running like a top,
still accurate as heck (for a carbine), and still a crowd favorite with
my shooting buddies and their wives. I couldn't be happier
with mine and at $694 at Bud's, it's a decent price as well.

Link Posted: 8/11/2015 9:00:15 PM EDT
[#18]
I just picked up a CMP M1 Carbine Special last Thursday. After a little research I find that it was sent to the Bavarian Gendarmarie (  LGK ST,  Steiermark )  in what looks like 1955 it is a Saginaw, Underwood barrel, both 1944. Still looking it over but shot a 30 round mag through it yesterday. A little stiff at first, probably because of the new park, but it fed the last 6-8 shots smooth as silk. Accuracy leaning on the bench, no bags at 50 yards was good, about a 5 inch group. I was really just making sure it would function.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 2:02:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
That's what mine is above.  The AO carbine comes with 1944 style controls; flip sight, no bayo lug, and push button safety, however, it comes with the M2 Carbine's mag release with the extra tail so it works great with 30 rd mags too so the Korean 15 and 30 rd mags I got from AIM Surplus work great with it.  

I like it and after well over 2,000 rds, it's still running like a top, still accurate as heck (for a carbine), and still a crowd favorite with my shooting buddies and their wives. I couldn't be happier with mine and at $694 at Bud's, it's a decent price as well.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kahr/Auto Ordnance
That's what mine is above.  The AO carbine comes with 1944 style controls; flip sight, no bayo lug, and push button safety, however, it comes with the M2 Carbine's mag release with the extra tail so it works great with 30 rd mags too so the Korean 15 and 30 rd mags I got from AIM Surplus work great with it.  

I like it and after well over 2,000 rds, it's still running like a top, still accurate as heck (for a carbine), and still a crowd favorite with my shooting buddies and their wives. I couldn't be happier with mine and at $694 at Bud's, it's a decent price as well.

If you were to do it again would you get the standard stock model or the paratrooper
folding stock?

I want to get one after I finish my 6.5 Grendel build and I cant decide on which one.
I know my mother and little sister and maybe little brother will be shooting it.
I also know I will be doing the CMP spec accurizing methods to it. I know it wont ever
be a target rifle, but I want it  as accurate as possible.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 10:16:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Without a doubt, I'd get the standard stock version.  Not a fan of the paratrooper version.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 11:20:55 AM EDT
[#21]

DO NOT GET THE CHIAPPA. PIECE OF CRAP.

It's nice in theory, but terrible in execution...

Link Posted: 8/14/2015 3:28:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Without a doubt, I'd get the standard stock version.  Not a fan of the paratrooper version.
View Quote

Can you tell me what you didn't like about the paratroop stock? I have never handled either
but from what I was told the paratrooper has a more comfortable grip but a worst cheek weld.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 3:32:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Stay away from that like it was the plague.
I would love to get one of those. It would be easy to suppresses. But Chiappa screwed the pooch
on that one.

I am going to wait for the GSG MP40 in 9mm before I get that.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 12:20:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s1357.photobucket.com/user/D_A_Lutz/media/Carbine%20close%20left%20front_zpssrb5pbbw.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1357.photobucket.com/albums/q759/D_A_Lutz/Carbine%20close%20left%20front_zpssrb5pbbw.jpg</a>
Sling and magazine pouch came with the carbine.
AmegaRanges Scout Rail. (Cera Coated to match the Rock-Ola's grey park finish. As delivered, the AmegaRanges rail is deep, deep, black and has their name oversized on the side.)
Aimpont T-1.
Streamlight M3 Tactical Illuminator Pistol Light mounted to a short/thin piece of Picatinny Rail attached to the Scout Rail 8-32 threaded holes.
UM's sling swivel stud added to forend underside to facilitate bipod attachment.
Bayonet lug cut off for NY State Safe Act compliance.
Magazines shortened to reduce capacity to less than 10-rounds.

I agree that it may not have 'collector' value, but getting a brand new carbine with a new forged machined receiver, new barrel, beautiful walnut stock, etc., definitely has value as a 'keeper' in my book as well as pride in ownership. My wife fell in love with this 'new look' after being not too enthusiastic over beat up mix masters we'd seen at gun shows. And every decent carbine I bid on at CMP went for over $1500.
View Quote

I am curious why you did not cut the whole bayonet lug mount off of the barrel band as well so that it looked like a type 2 band? That way it would look a little bit more like an issued 1944-1945 carbine. It just seems that to just neuter the lug off, it kind of looks like a bit strange.

This is what I mean by type 2 band:
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 7:36:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 12:26:43 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Can you tell me what you didn't like about the paratroop stock? I have never handled either

but from what I was told the paratrooper has a more comfortable grip but a worst cheek weld.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not a fan of folding stocks as they aren't as solid so when I shoulder them they don't feel right to me.  Further, I
like the look of the M1 Carbine so I have 2, both of which have standard
stocks.  However, you have to decide what you like, what you want.  It's your money and your decision.

Link Posted: 8/18/2015 1:37:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Wow, that Rockola looks pretty sweet with that optic.    Jealous.

Hking
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 6:59:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Slight hijack here... I just picked up an Alpine M1 Carbine and from a little research it appears I did good. I guess I'm looking for someone who has experience with them to let me know what their thoughts are. It seems to be an early one since it has the wood handguard.

Also what is the definitive website on M1's?
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 7:09:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Also what is the definitive website on M1's?
View Quote

http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 4:06:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'm not a fan of folding stocks as they aren't as solid so when I shoulder them they don't feel right to me.  Further, I like the look of the M1 Carbine so I have 2, both of which have standard stocks.  However, you have to decide what you like, what you want.  It's your money and your decision.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not a fan of folding stocks as they aren't as solid so when I shoulder them they don't feel right to me.  Further, I like the look of the M1 Carbine so I have 2, both of which have standard stocks.  However, you have to decide what you like, what you want.  It's your money and your decision.

I guess I will have to find one of each and shoulder them before I make my decision.
Because I like the looks of both of them.

Does anyone have any experience with the Hornady critical defense 30 carbine ammo?
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 12:21:27 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I guess I will have to find one of each and shoulder them before I make my decision.

Does anyone have any experience with the Hornady critical defense 30 carbine ammo?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Without a doubt, I'd get the standard stock version. Not a fan of the paratrooper version.

I'm not a fan of folding stocks as they aren't as solid so when I shoulder them they don't feel right to me. Further, I like the look of the M1 Carbine so I have 2, both of which have standard stocks. However, you have to decide what you like, what you want. It's your money and your decision.

I have used it with no problems in; Both of my I.B.M.'s (with 15 or 30 round mags), My IAI AutomagIII, and My Ruger 3screw Blackhawk. It cost a fortune to fully load ALL my magazines, but I wanted to make sure they all worked with this ammo. I have 2 GI 30round and 4 GI 15round magazines for the M1 carbines, 7 7round magazines for the Automag, and only 1 6 shot cylinder for the Blackhawk. These are my HD guns and are kept with the following load out; Blackhawk 6 HCD, Automag 7+1 HCD - 2mags HCD - 2mags SP - 2mags FMJ, Both M1 carbines 30round mags loaded first10 HCD next10 SP last10 FMJ - 4 15round mags loaded first5 HCD next5 SP last5 FMJ. During my testing I had targets taped to a 1/2 inch plywood board at 50 yards, the HCD rounds do make an impressive exit compared to FMJ.

That said, I have a friend that can not feed it correctly in his Universal or Saginaw carbines. After 3 or four shots he gets a failure-to-feed. I think he needs new springs, because he has the same problem with soft points as well.

Give them a try with the gun you have. Good luck and report on how you came out!

P.S. Just noticed you are in Virginia. If you are close to Fredericksburg, let me know, my I.B.M.'s are in both kinds of stocks (one standard wood, the other a repro of folding paratrooper stock. Maybe we can get together and you can try them out to see which you like.

Link Posted: 8/20/2015 6:28:00 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View Quote

I don't but I handload for everything and I've got both 110grn X-Treme plated and Speer 110grn SP loaded up for HD chores.  I'm now leaning towards the X-Treme plated as they are soft lead centers and will I believe that they will expand faster than the Speers at close range which I want for help in keeping them inside the home.  When you're looking at realistic ranges of less than 50ft, you don't have to worry about penetration at 1,900-2,000fps.

Link Posted: 8/20/2015 6:57:34 PM EDT
[#33]
My first, er, rifle, er, long arm, er.....carbine, was an Ivor Johnson M1 Carbine.

Lovely thing - wish I still had it - but the .gov banned them here as evil incarnate so it went away in a brown box to live in Switzerland
(Donated it to a museum - but the curator did a runner with it!!)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top