User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 12:03:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The more I look at that abortion, the more I shake my head.  At first, my favorite part was the fucked up way they mounted the front sight, almost combo on the gas cylinder and the barrel.  I couldn't figure out why anyone would do that.   Until I looked more closely at the rear.   Now, my favorite part is the way they tried to make it so you could mount a scope.  A scope that would end up right over where the clip would travel!   So as an oh-shit, they apparently tried mounting iron sights (in lieu of... the iron sights that were on there in the first place.)  But the only way they could do that, was with that ridiculous front sight!

Oh yea, I'm sure the rest of that gun is ship-shape!
View Quote

An idea for shooting that rifle as-is with a scope directly mounted-I've read of modifying enblocs so they don't eject, and loading as if it was a regular blind magazine like a bolt gun would have. Do this, mount a scope, load between scope and receiver round by round. Reasonably safe idea or begging for chambered fingers? A thumb in the chamber is not an experience I care to repeat.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:25:49 AM EDT
[#2]
This is why I shake my head at morons at the gunshow.  I watched a guy say "too bad I can't mount a deer scope on that Garand, rifle aint handy without it"  Like seriously, its dropped more bodies than cholera bubba, learn to shoot irons.  Then I see this poor Garand.  I would say part it out for what you can, and I would sell you mine.  seriously.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:36:36 AM EDT
[#3]
The thing that I find nuts is some idiot spent lots of time/money to remove one of the better iron sight systems to replace it with something of marginal usefulness
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 7:38:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The thing that I find nuts is some idiot spent lots of time/money to remove one of the better iron sight systems to replace it with something of marginal usefulness
View Quote

I can only hope it was a damaged and salvaged receiver with a broken ear. Otherwise the dremelsmith needs his dremel rectally implanted.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 7:19:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

mother F*$@

aaah well that will teach me to not get direct from CMP

where can one find a front sight, front end, and a rear sight?
i know a good machinist and welder who can atleast make this my shooter garand. while i have the barrel out il turn it on the lathe and re crown it. maybe make her more accurate
View Quote

You need an entire receiver.........you bought a $550 paperweight.
Ain't no fixing that for less than you have in it......go kick the guy you bought it from in the balls!
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 8:43:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Why is everyone blaming the seller???? You dont buy a car or truck without looking it over well do you?? It is very obvious there was something wrong with the rifle, its the OP's fault .Buyer beware
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 8:44:39 PM EDT
[#7]
This is one time I'd consider getting Sage's M1 EBR stock.  Tossing a perfectly good receiver away seems wasteful.  The rifle isn't restorable.  You might as well have something unique.

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:05:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Why is everyone blaming the seller???? You dont buy a car or truck without looking it over well do you?? It is very obvious there was something wrong with the rifle, its the OP's fault .Buyer beware
View Quote

The buyer didn't do the damage. Unless the seller bought it this way the seller's the one who ruined a piece of history. I'm more irritated about the damage than whether or not OP got screwed.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:49:40 AM EDT
[#9]
You als need to rememebr . Years ago Garands etc were a dime a dozen , owners modified them for their own use.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 4:24:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You als need to rememebr . Years ago Garands etc were a dime a dozen , owners modified them for their own use.
View Quote

And O3's too.  I totally get that.  And I've defended these types of jobs in the past too.  This one just seem more irritating for some reason though.  LOL.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 7:28:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wile I am fully aware that many 1903s and Garands were nearly given away int he late sixties, and many heavily sporterized, this one is a tragedy.
So yes, I blame the seller for this abomination. As before the buyer, he bought this without being knowledgeable about the platform.

Sucks to see a rifle modified in such a way they it actually downgraded vs upgraded in terms of performance and use ability.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 7:38:30 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

You also need to remember . Years ago Garands etc were a dime a dozen , owners modified them for their own use.
View Quote

It was horrible.....like...legal rape HORRIBLE.

The things that were done to this guns.....they hurt my brain.

I, for one, hope the OP can pull off a rescue...even if it costs him more than he wanted....he can have the PRIDE of restoring something to its correct configuration.

Link Posted: 8/13/2015 7:09:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Not worth trying to restore, but consider some other options....  I'd start at #1 and work your way down if it doesn't fly.

1.  Leave as be, sell, cut your losses.  May recoup your $$.

2.  Drill and tap the side for a scope mount.  May recoup your $$.

3.  Part it out.  I'm throwing out 90's era prices here, so research what you've got.  $100 for the stock set, $100 for the bbl, $100 for the oprod.  $75 for the trigger group, $50 for misc parts.  $50 for the receiver.  You may have one or more wildcards in there that would help the price for a given item.

Either way, I don't think you've lost much.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top