Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2015 3:18:31 AM EDT
Hello, folks:

Recently purchased the "unconventional-looking" Springfield Armory M1A Loaded with the Archangel-stock.  I know that it's blasphemy to many M1A-afficionados, but it happened.  Apologies to those who are offended.

After reading many pages in this particular forum, I decided to compensate for any probable weakness that this platform may have in advance.  So, I purchased the USGI Extractor, Extractor-spring w/ plunger, Ejector w/ spring and the Sadlak NM Op-Rod Spring Guide from Fulton Armory.  There was also an M-10 Combo-Tool I saw a person use in a video to replace the Extractor that I purchased at the same time.  I'm hoping that is all I will need to do the majority of replacements to the bolt.  Comments appreciated if I need to use something else.

This rifle will be used with a scope exclusively for hunting and general distance-shooting for fun.  Unfortunately, my up-close vision is terrible nowadays.  So, here is where questions will begin.

I'd like to add the Troy M14 BattleRail to use as the mounting-platform for the scope.  Although I've seen the Sadlak-mount in steel or titanium, there's just something about the Troy-rail that appeals to me from a stability point-of-view.  Does anyone have any pros or cons in reference to the Troy M14 BattleRail?  Any first-hand knowledge would be appreciated.

Do any of you suggest using one-piece or the conventional two-rings for your scope?  The rifle will likely have a fairly large scope attached to it.  (I did mention not being able to see well, right?)  So, let's just assume that I will be putting an optic with a 50mm objective on this with a mid-to-high magnification.  Is there a particular brand to stay away from?  Been partial to Badger and Leupold in the past for the "conventional" two-piece rings.  Suggestions are welcome.

Appreciate those who've taken the time to read my post.  Although it's lengthy, I just wanted to give a thorough explanation of use and pitch a few questions for those here to decide what direction to go.

Thanks so much, in advance.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 9:22:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Nothing wrong with swapping out some parts.  If nothing else, it makes you more familiar with taking it apart and putting it back together.  Search "Tony Ben" for some awesome DIY M1A/M14 videos.  The combo tool is ok, better more expensive stuff out there.  I keep one in my stock with a GI cleaning kit.  However, I just used a 30.06 case to take down my bolt.

I have a Springfield M1A in a walnut stock.  I had a GI fiberglass stock (to replicate what I used in the Navy) but decided to stay in the walnut stock.  I recently replaced my trigger parts bolt guts with GI parts.  I swapped the springs for CS springs and the guide with a Sadlack NM guide rod.  I also fill/sanded my stock with TruOil since I shoot outside and it always seems to rain when I go.  I also put on a leather sling.  (From going to one Appleseed I am a believer in proper sling use, ARs too).  I got my parts from Treeline.

I have not put an optic on mine but I am toying with the idea.

Enjoy the rifle, keep us posted.

Link Posted: 4/14/2015 12:48:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I think you might be able to use a larue AR mount backwards for the optic.  ????  I think some have done that. Attached to the rails in front of the receiver.  Then you don't have to mess with a mount on the receiver.  

I don't know if that is a good set up or not.  I've never done it.  But I think H2OMAN has.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 6:34:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I have done almost the same parts in mine.  Just got an Archangel stock.  It has a benefit of being able to lower the cheekpiece and use the irons.  

How it started (mostly):

Mostly modified internals:

How it looks now:  

Link Posted: 4/14/2015 8:05:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks so much for the comments, fellows.

Appreciate the mention of the DIY-videos of Tony Ben, bmyk.  Also, if you could give me the details on the "more expensive" substitute for the M-10 Combo Tool, I would be thankful.

Didn't know if the one-piece mount was a benefit in any way on this rifle, or if the typical pair of scope-rings were considered "standard" kit, JJREA.  I have no particular preference to the overall aesthetics cosmetically.  Just trying to achieve the most stability - that's all.

Great looking rifle you have there, phatmax.  Without being able to see the scope-mount, is that the Springfield-model?  Just looked a bit like it with the split between the scope-rings.  And, what brand are your rings?  Anyway, thanks for the pictures.  Very proud owner, I can tell.

Appreciate everyone's contributions to this post.  Keep 'em coming.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 8:13:59 PM EDT
[#5]
It is the springfield mount, I think 3rd gen.  I can't recall the ring brand, but they were from Palmetto State and about 40-50 bucks.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 8:55:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Appreciate the mention of the DIY-videos of Tony Ben, bmyk.  Also, if you could give me the details on the "more expensive" substitute for the M-10 Combo Tool, I would be thankful.

View Quote

He may be thinking of the M14 combo tool which is nearly disastrous to use.  The M10 works well--if all you're doing is swapping the extractor, it'll be ideal.  The firing pin will be free to travel, so if you can't fix the rifle well, you might want to pull the trigger group first and slap a piece of tape across the back of the bolt.

The dedicated bolt tool may be the cat's meow, but unless you work on M14's for a living, I don't see any point in spending $45 on it.

I was tempted to type in big font since you mentioned (twice) that you don't see well up close.  

Link Posted: 4/14/2015 9:26:58 PM EDT
[#7]
30Caliber, you're awesome.

No, I just hold the "Ctrl" button and tap the "+" sign a few times to increase the size of the page and fonts.

I've worked in technology for 25+ years, and looking at computer-screens many hours on end has done a number to the eyesight.

As for the tool in question, I just didn't want to be using something that wouldn't fulfill expectations.  If I could spend the extra cash to find a product that would accommodate more feasible uses, then it may be a viable alternative.

But no, I don't plan on working on M14's for a living.  Just trying to do a bit of prudent-planning on my part.

Thanks for the sense of humor, though.  Always a refreshing welcome.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 8:11:46 AM EDT
[#8]
I would replace the extractor (or just run with the current one for a while and see what you get).  The M10 works perfectly for disassembly.  For reassembly, I like using a spent 30-06 case to compress the bolt springs against (or a 308 w/ a small wad of tape wrapped around the neck to keep it from chambering completely).

The bolt springs I'd leave alone; they aren't going to break or fail.  They are handy to have around because if the extractor fails, there's a chance they'll disappear as well.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 10:32:25 AM EDT
[#9]
This is what I thinking when I wrote about bolt tools.  As was said, unless you have a shop or something, I cannot see the expense of the tool for one rifle.

Understood about the effect of computer screens on eyesight.  I have been in computers / networking since 1983.  My next prescription for glasses comes with a cane and a dog...

Quoted:

He may be thinking of the M14 combo tool which is nearly disastrous to use.  The M10 works well--if all you're doing is swapping the extractor, it'll be ideal.  The firing pin will be free to travel, so if you can't fix the rifle well, you might want to pull the trigger group first and slap a piece of tape across the back of the bolt.

The dedicated bolt tool may be the cat's meow, but unless you work on M14's for a living, I don't see any point in spending $45 on it.

I was tempted to type in big font since you mentioned (twice) that you don't see well up close.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/15/2015 1:15:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, you can take  the bolt apart pretty easily with a .30-06 spent case in the chamber of your M1A.  It depresses the ejector when you have the bolt up against it than you drift out the extractor. with a punch.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 1:48:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for all of the answers, guys ~

Due to the suggestions, I'll probably just replace the Extractor and hold off on the Extractor Spring w/ Plunger and Ejector, for now.  Will still install the OP-Rod Spring Guide, though.  Can't see it as being too tough of a task.

Thanks for the link to the bolt-tool, bmyk.  I can see where needing a tool like that would come in handy for doing more exclusive work on the bolt, but not necessarily for just replacing the Extractor.  Also, I like the glasses comment.  Haven't got to the point of getting glasses, yet... but, I can tell it's not far off in my future.

Didn't get many bites on the mount, though.  Guess it's relative to what folks prefer, since many opt for the more traditional-style like the Springfield, Sadlak, etc.  My opinion on the Troy-mount was catered primarily on rigidity and stability.  Well that, and I plan on placing a fairly "large" scope up there.  The cost of it was more closely related to the Sadlak steel-mount, as opposed to the Sadlak titanium-mount - which added another $100.  Oh well, if money only grew on trees, right?

Hope to get some time on the rifle using the irons this weekend just for fun - weather permitting.  Picked up some 168 gr. to "make" some brass and get some readings off the chrono.  Getting rather anxious, to be honest.

Again, thanks for all of the support and suggestions.  And, if anyone else has any opinions on scope-mounts - for those who use them - it would be appreciated, as well.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 9:16:21 AM EDT
[#12]
I suggest heading to Appleseed with your M1A.  Here is the Texas schedule.  Good to see something out there other than 22LR and ARs....LOL

Quoted:
Thanks for all of the answers, guys ~

Due to the suggestions, I'll probably just replace the Extractor and hold off on the Extractor Spring w/ Plunger and Ejector, for now.  Will still install the OP-Rod Spring Guide, though.  Can't see it as being too tough of a task.

Thanks for the link to the bolt-tool, bmyk.  I can see where needing a tool like that would come in handy for doing more exclusive work on the bolt, but not necessarily for just replacing the Extractor.  Also, I like the glasses comment.  Haven't got to the point of getting glasses, yet... but, I can tell it's not far off in my future.

Didn't get many bites on the mount, though.  Guess it's relative to what folks prefer, since many opt for the more traditional-style like the Springfield, Sadlak, etc.  My opinion on the Troy-mount was catered primarily on rigidity and stability.  Well that, and I plan on placing a fairly "large" scope up there.  The cost of it was more closely related to the Sadlak steel-mount, as opposed to the Sadlak titanium-mount - which added another $100.  Oh well, if money only grew on trees, right?

Hope to get some time on the rifle using the irons this weekend just for fun - weather permitting.  Picked up some 168 gr. to "make" some brass and get some readings off the chrono.  Getting rather anxious, to be honest.

Again, thanks for all of the support and suggestions.  And, if anyone else has any opinions on scope-mounts - for those who use them - it would be appreciated, as well.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/16/2015 1:44:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Would love to hear how it goes.  With pics.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 2:22:14 PM EDT
[#14]
The TROY battle rail is nice, but it's pretty heavy.

If your M1A has a standard weight barrel, you may want to consider the monolithic long sight plane (LSP) rail from M14EBR.US

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:50:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Well, the Extractor and Spring Guide swap was a fairly straight-forward process last night.  The Ejector and Spring had a mind of their own, but a little patience handled that.

I still feel like an idiot for not seeing an obvious way to remove the bolt easily.  It's probably something simple, but I just focused on taking care of the pair of parts being swapped and relegated the bolt-situation for another day.

Can't ever see myself competing, bmyk.  Thanks for the link to the competitions, but I'd probably enjoy watching it much more.  Just so many things needed to get done before I venture into uncharted territory.  One priority is load-development as soon as I can get a powder order on my doorstep.  Should be Monday of next week.

I'm sure that once things begin to take shape on a more completed platform that I'll get some pictures uploaded, JJREA.  Didn't really have a thought about it when doing the parts swap last night.  Actually, never thought much about it at all, to be honest.  But, I can promise that I'll post once the rifle has some accessories added to the equation.

I saw the rail-system as well as the chassis-system offered, H20_MAN.  Great alternative to the Troy-rail, for sure.  Definitely something to consider.  Thanks for the information.

Got a few stops to make this morning, and then maybe the weather will clear up for some trigger-time.  (Fingers-crossed.)

Hope everyone has a great weekend.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:49:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Glad everything went well.  Just to clarify, Appleseed is not a competition, it is a program to improve marksmanship and learn some American history...the match strikes that led to the Revolution.
Thanks for the posts and updates.

Quoted:
Well, the Extractor and Spring Guide swap was a fairly straight-forward process last night.  The Ejector and Spring had a mind of their own, but a little patience handled that.

I still feel like an idiot for not seeing an obvious way to remove the bolt easily.  It's probably something simple, but I just focused on taking care of the pair of parts being swapped and relegated the bolt-situation for another day.

Can't ever see myself competing, bmyk.  Thanks for the link to the competitions, but I'd probably enjoy watching it much more.  Just so many things needed to get done before I venture into uncharted territory.  One priority is load-development as soon as I can get a powder order on my doorstep.  Should be Monday of next week.

I'm sure that once things begin to take shape on a more completed platform that I'll get some pictures uploaded, JJREA.  Didn't really have a thought about it when doing the parts swap last night.  Actually, never thought much about it at all, to be honest.  But, I can promise that I'll post once the rifle has some accessories added to the equation.

I saw the rail-system as well as the chassis-system offered, H20_MAN.  Great alternative to the Troy-rail, for sure.  Definitely something to consider.  Thanks for the information.

Got a few stops to make this morning, and then maybe the weather will clear up for some trigger-time.  (Fingers-crossed.)

Hope everyone has a great weekend.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 7:55:03 PM EDT
[#17]
I want to thank everyone who posted their suggestions and opinions to my post.  Really enjoy the people on this forum.

As for the question on the mounting solution for the ability to use a scope on my rifle, well... apparently, it's been resolved.

I'd placed an order over the phone with a small gun-shop suggested by a family-member for miscellaneous items and a scope-mount earlier.  The miscellaneous items were shipped, but the mount had been back-ordered according to an e-mail they'd sent.  I called the company and asked what estimation of time it would take for the mount to be received, and the folks said there was no particular time - just when their supplier sent them.  Also, asked why they'd originally said it was in-stock when ordered, and they explained that the box did not have the specific model that I wanted.  Very friendly people - they took my information and said they would call the minute they had a mount available.

So, I included the question on the forums to find an alternative while I waited.  Again, very appreciative of everyone's suggestions here.

This afternoon, I received a call from the company.  A cordial fellow asked if he was interrupting anything on my Sunday, and then told me that he'd arrived today to inventory and stock the parts received from Saturday.  He also said that the mount arrived, and that they would be shipping it out on Monday.  As expected, he was very friendly and up-beat about the whole process and mentioned that my tracking information would be included in an e-mail.  Honestly, didn't expect anyone to be calling about it today, of all times... but, I'll have to admit that it was a surprise.

As was previously mentioned, I'll include some pictures once I get things looking better on my end.  Still rather anxious, since the opportunity didn't present itself yesterday to put some rounds down the barrel.  I have the week off, so weather can't mess with me all week long... can it?

Will keep you all posted on how things go, and get this rifle situated soon.

Take care, everyone.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 5:22:36 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't know if it's just me, or if you are purposely being ambiguous, but what kind of mount are you getting?
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 10:33:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Sorry, JJREA... as well as everyone else.  Didn't mean to be vague on which mount I originally chose for the rifle.

I'd ordered the Sadlak Titanium Mount.  Since my family-member had an account with the gun-shop that included a discount, I got the mount for a pretty good deal.  We also went in half on a bunch of different bullets and primers since we both reload.  Just too good of a deal to pass up when the opportunity presented itself on the reloading-components, so I'd asked about the mount at the same time.

Hope no one was offended from me being vague on the topic.  Was never my intention.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 11:19:38 PM EDT
[#20]
I wasn't offended, I was just curious.  So no probs there.  AFAIK, sadlak's are good, solid mounts.  I've only ever used the Springy Gen III mount and it leaves a lot to be desired.  I still have gotten some decent groups with it, but it isn't what I would consider a good mount.  FWIW.  

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:31:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Well, had to send the scope back due to fuzz being inside.  So, to appease the folks who helped my decisions... here's a picture for your troubles.

" />

The rings on this scope are too tall, obviously.  But, I took it off of my large-rifle so everyone would have an idea of where I'm headed with this project.

For your "eye-balls" folks.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 12:58:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Fancy!!!     Looks good.  I'm sure you will like shooting it once you get it all done.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 10:54:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 5:54:22 AM EDT
[#24]
So, just an update for everyone.

Finally had some time to get behind the rifle yesterday.  Was quite a long process with taking a shot, cleaning the barrel thoroughly, and making adjustments to the scope.  Got lucky and was dead-center on the fifth shot.  Then, it was just getting accustomed to everything and still... cleaning the barrel like there was no tomorrow.

This rifle has what feels to be a two-stage trigger.  Completely different feel than my Geissele aftermarket trigger I have on my AR.  After the sixth or seventh shot, I finally knew where the break-over was, and was able to have all of the bullets touching at 100 yards.  That kept a smile on my face for the rest of the day.

One question, though.  Will the safety on this thing quieten down any?  It's tight, and I like that part about it.  And, it's not "as" loud as it was originally.  But, it's still a bit too much of a "crack" sound when disengaging.  Maybe some grease in the right spot?  I don't know.  Just putting it out there.

Can't understand why it took so long for me to get one of these rifles.  They are a lot of fun.  Can also tell that this could become my "all-in-one" shooter.  Wish I would have had more time to play, but I didn't get started until 3:00 - and, by the end - it was already becoming a mosquito-factory.

Well, that's the update, folks.  Finally, I can tell what all the hype is about.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top