Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2014 1:16:10 AM EDT
I came across some videos for the M1A SOCOM ... Now I think its what I want. I already know its going to be a gun that won't see near the amount of rds of the Ar's just due to the price of ammo. I want a semi 308 with a 2-300 yd ability to knock down a deer if the feeling hits me to carry it. And the idea of a whole new to me platform seems pretty cool. What do you guys think of the socom overall as a general fun range and fairly close hunting gun. My dad has the full size m1a and I've shot a few mags and it just seemed a bit cumbersome compared to my ar's so I didn't really think to much of it but now the shorter socom may of overcame that part of it.. I guess I'm just wanting some opinions for it good bad and ugly so I can begin my research to form my own opinion of it. Thanks guys
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 8:33:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 9:15:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I came across some videos for the M1A SOCOM ... Now I think its what I want. I already know its going to be a gun that won't see near the amount of rds of the Ar's just due to the price of ammo. I want a semi 308 with a 2-300 yd ability to knock down a deer if the feeling hits me to carry it. And the idea of a whole new to me platform seems pretty cool. What do you guys think of the socom overall as a general fun range and fairly close hunting gun. My dad has the full size m1a and I've shot a few mags and it just seemed a bit cumbersome compared to my ar's so I didn't really think to much of it but now the shorter socom may of overcame that part of it.. I guess I'm just wanting some opinions for it good bad and ugly so I can begin my research to form my own opinion of it. Thanks guys
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Good choice.

Quoted:
Keep in mine the muzzle blast is brutal with the short barrel.

-- Chuck

The factory SOCOM Compensator/Muzzle brake is effective, but there is quite a blast with an impressive fireball.

Both can be fixed by installing SEI's SOCOM kit including their SOCOM gas plug.
You can use a Vortex flash hider, or a Good Iron muzzle brake.
I use the DC version of each on my CQB-16 because I also use a Wind Talker sound suppressor.

Link Posted: 12/30/2014 4:03:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok thanks guys I just jumped both feet first and ordered a brand new black socom. Ordered up 4 of the 20rd mags from 44mag.com to get started. Like I say its a complete new platform and caliber but I think this is gonna be awesome. I'll be doing lots of reading and asking questions over here now
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 12:47:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Ok thanks guys I just jumped both feet first and ordered a brand new black socom. Ordered up 4 of the 20rd mags from 44mag.com to get started. Like I say its a complete new platform and caliber but I think this is gonna be awesome. I'll be doing lots of reading and asking questions over here now
View Quote

Hop on Sadlak's website and buy a NM spring guide and TiN piston without the NM groove.

As soon as you get your rifle, take off the flimsy plastic POS stock that comes with them, post it online for sale, and use the money you get to buy a USGI fiberglass stock. Play your cards right, and you'll end up with cash left over. Use that to go buy some ZQI 7.62x51 from Wally World at $10/box.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 2:20:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

ALWAYS buy CMI/Checkmate brand M1A mags and you got it from a good source at 44mag since they are the main dist of the brand. My thought is buy a LOT more than you can. CMI is really the only maker of reliable M1A mags (at least NEW magazines) and if they decide to only fulfill government contracts or if there is a ban and CMI decides to just stop making them, then well you're screwed. With the war gone, you can expect CMI to start paying attention to the civilian market a bit more.

Trust me, NEVER buy mystery mags no matter what the guys at the gun show say. Rather I should say mystery mags have good body construction, but for some reason the spring is much longer than normal which makes it unreliable to something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbqiFJK1nFA. All you got to do is replace the spring to the normal size and you're good to go but even then the thing sucks. They're branded after popular marks like W stamped or something to that effect.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 4:42:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys I really need to read up on the m1a its never been on my radar till just the other day so I know absolutely nothing about it except the little I've read the last day or two and the tons of you tube vids I've been watching.lol
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 3:14:11 AM EDT
[#7]
I think the scout configuration would be a lot cooler.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 3:41:53 AM EDT
[#8]
I prefer the scout.  Nothing against the SOCOM but I like the 18" barrel a bit better.

As said above, get plenty of mags.   44mag has new ones.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 4:19:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I prefer the scout.  Nothing against the SOCOM but I like the 18" barrel a bit better.

As said above, get plenty of mags.   44mag has new ones.
View Quote

Yep I went through 44mag and am going to order a few more pretty soon as well. Got the socom  last week and it feels great now if I could get some time to get it out to the range I'd really be happy
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:10:05 AM EDT
[#10]
If you are interested... PSA has the 25rd ones for $22.99.

I have always felt the 25rd ones are just to dang big, but others like them. Remember it takes 2-3 weeks for PSA to deliver...

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/53/category/208/

Also a shorter 10rd mag will make bench time much easier, the 20rd is just to big to comfortably sit at the bench.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/3153179318/check-mate-magazine-m-14-m1a-308-winchester

The Midwayusa link shows the various sizes pretty well...
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 2:22:38 PM EDT
[#11]
If you can invest the cash in such a set up it is now time to invest in reloading equipment and obtaining the knowledge required to safely reload so you can bring your round cost down to a out that of factory 223 ! Any full time rifle shooter who wants to feed his or her rifle a steady diet needs to be rich or a reloader!
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:15:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Having owned two scouts, the socom really does handle better imo. Plus the blast is not that bad unless you shoot in a cave or indoors.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 5:12:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you can invest the cash in such a set up it is now time to invest in reloading equipment and obtaining the knowledge required to safely reload so you can bring your round cost down to a out that of factory 223 ! Any full time rifle shooter who wants to feed his or her rifle a steady diet needs to be rich or a reloader!
View Quote

Just shot it for the first time Sunday and I'm in love.... I currently reload a bunch of calibers ( mostly bolt and revolver though)  and am starting my brass stash and reading up on loading for the m1's it looks like they need a pretty specific burn rate on the powder. I actually just got my nerve up to shoot reloads in my ar's for some reason reloading for a semi auto kind of scared me in case of a sqib but my buddy set my mind at ease by reminding me my reloads have to be higher quality than a steel cased wolf or Tula being loaded up by a loaded up drunk ruskie.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 4:13:26 AM EDT
[#14]
You think you like the SOCOM 16? Wait till you put it in a wood stock
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:07:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You think you like the SOCOM 16? Wait till you put it in a wood stock
http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt91/D_CRISIS/20140312_215912_zpsd261780f.jpg
View Quote

That wood is sexy, is that an aftermarket or did you just get really lucky?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:53:20 PM EDT
[#16]
It's a cracked stock that I repaired and fire striped because the grain wasn't very pretty.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 8:08:25 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote
Based on this posting, you want an AK47.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 7:58:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Had one and hated it in a big big way
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 12:37:46 PM EDT
[#19]
The SOCOM is great, but a little accurizing goes a long way. As stated earlier, get a NM spring guide, piston, and piston housing shims. Installing those will not only improve accuracy, but get you familiar with the rifle.
I also recommend getting a set of Scout sights to put on top, as they allow much better accuracy due to the thinner front blade and rear aperture. The Scout front sight is about the same height, so it will be compatible.
Wood stocks are great. I'm not a fan of the selector cutout, so I get Boyd's. As far as affordable quality though, it is hard to beat a Springfield fiberglass krinkle finish stock, if you can find one.
Also, the Scout rail... its a bit high on the Scout and SOCOM, so I recommend an M14.ca Scout Handguard (SHG). Or just shoot iron sights.
My SOCOM:

Link Posted: 2/10/2015 2:04:20 PM EDT
[#20]
That really looks great you guys with the wood are starting to make me think hard about searching for a stock already lol
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 7:59:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The SOCOM is great, but a little accurizing goes a long way. As stated earlier, get a NM spring guide, piston, and piston housing shims. Installing those will not only improve accuracy, but get you familiar with the rifle.
I also recommend getting a set of Scout sights to put on top, as they allow much better accuracy due to the thinner front blade and rear aperture. The Scout front sight is about the same height, so it will be compatible.
Wood stocks are great. I'm not a fan of the selector cutout, so I get Boyd's. As far as affordable quality though, it is hard to beat a Springfield fiberglass krinkle finish stock, if you can find one.
Also, the Scout rail... its a bit high on the Scout and SOCOM, so I recommend an M14.ca Scout Handguard (SHG). Or just shoot iron sights.
My SOCOM:

<a href="http://s131.photobucket.com/user/madcatjoe/media/IMG_20140322_125141_379_zpsd1qwb4ek.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p313/madcatjoe/IMG_20140322_125141_379_zpsd1qwb4ek.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s131.photobucket.com/user/madcatjoe/media/IMG_20140322_125156_356_zpsb0lv4dks.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p313/madcatjoe/IMG_20140322_125156_356_zpsb0lv4dks.jpg</a>
View Quote

masakari,

Where did you purchase the top rail from and did you put the sling points int the stock yourself?

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 6:18:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
My SOCOM:

<a href="http://s131.photobucket.com/user/madcatjoe/media/IMG_20140322_125141_379_zpsd1qwb4ek.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p313/madcatjoe/IMG_20140322_125141_379_zpsd1qwb4ek.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s131.photobucket.com/user/madcatjoe/media/IMG_20140322_125156_356_zpsb0lv4dks.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p313/madcatjoe/IMG_20140322_125156_356_zpsb0lv4dks.jpg</a>
View Quote

What recoil pad do you have on your?
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 10:01:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The factory SOCOM Compensator/Muzzle brake is effective, but there is quite a blast with an impressive fireball.

I use the DC version of each on my CQB-16 because I also use a Wind Talker sound suppressor.

View Quote

Hey H2O, is that the Blast Deflector from the GI Blank Firing Kit? Is it a big improvement?
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:41:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:]

masakari,

Where did you purchase the top rail from and did you put the sling points int the stock yourself?

View Quote

The rail is M14.ca and yes, Grovtec sling sockets are in the stock. #720203 in the back but I forget the P/N for the front.

The Buttpad is Springfield. The stock required very slight modification to fit, only about 3 minutes with a dremel and it will still work with regular buttplates.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 6:05:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Hey H2O, is that the Blast Deflector from the GI Blank Firing Kit? Is it a big improvement?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, it is the M3 Breech Shield from the kit.

It does an excellent job of deflecting blow back away from my face when the sound suppressor is attached.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 6:08:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

The light weight SHG is imported into the US by M14EBR.US

* Sold Out - 90 day wait.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 8:27:44 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm surprised that no one has recommended OP purchase a USGI extractor. There have been a number of M1A owners who've had them break within just a few rounds. From what I've read, if you've put more than 60 through it without issue, you should be good to go, but figured you'd want to know. Better safe than sorry.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 4:33:19 AM EDT
[#28]

Love mine.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top