Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2014 11:54:30 PM EDT

There is a dearth of 308/762-51 ammo in my AO right now and i just procured an M1A walnut standard --- i was brady delayed so spent the evening looking for a few rounds so i could at least tinker a bit -----  all i found was wally world Tula at 10 bucks a box

I bit - the clerk didnt know it was steel cased and neither did i until i got home and opened it ---------    for the purposes of shooting a couple of "getting aquainted" strings and very roughly getting a zero -- is this ok

Since it is labelled 308 instead of 762, i would asume it is a tad hotter --- but counterpoint is that since many people complain about Tula being under-powered, -- maybe it will be in the right range ?  -- IDK

Perhaps i should just go shoot and get back with the details
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 8:19:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Tula ammo; no! Tula primers; yes!

Tony.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:31:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Why not?
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:39:18 AM EDT
[#3]
If you are referring to 5.56mm Tula it is not under powered so much, it just has a different pressure curve that does not work with some AR’s.
I would not even consider shooting steel case ammo in my M1A. YMMV
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:59:34 AM EDT
[#4]
i wouldn't,
i mean unless you can't find any other ammo (like during the ammo crysis)
i the main thing for me is barrel wear, i can replace an extractor but replacing a barrel on a m1a?
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:03:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I shoot it in my socom II - no problems.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:27:47 PM EDT
[#6]
For what it's worth, I've shot plenty of Brown Bear .308 in my Standard with no issues...
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:35:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I shot metric shit tons of it in my Loaded and before I sold my SOCOM it ate tones of steel ammo.  Just be sure as with all steel ammo to clean the chamber well afterwards.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:49:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Any day above 30 degrees it works fine out of my M1A.  Below 30 degrees it just barely ejects.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 2:29:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Shoot it and let us know how it goes. I've been tempted to try some in my M1A given the cost of 308/x51 ammo, but I haven't bit yet.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you are referring to 5.56mm Tula it is not under powered so much, it just has a different pressure curve that does not work with some AR’s.
I would not even consider shooting steel case ammo in my M1A. YMMV
View Quote

55gr Tula .223 chrono's in the low 2000's. I would definitely call that underpowered.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 3:06:01 PM EDT
[#10]
No offense intended at all... but....Tula .308 has a spotty track record... so much so, that I wouldn't try it even if it was given to me.

Apart from the low velocity it actually has ( 2570fps v. the advertised 2800 fps ), I truly do not trust their quality control.

It is not reliably made ammo. No one wants ammo that may or may not fire and function properly.

For a few dollars more you can get reloadable brass cases and reliable ammo.

PSA frequently has Fed. XM80 for $11.99 / 20 ... ( you will have to wait for a few weeks to receive it... ) but that ammo is far more reliable.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/7-62-x-51mm-nato-149gr-fmj-m80-20rds-xm80cl.html

And watch gunbot.net for other good deals....http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/rifle/308/
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 3:18:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Midway a has some better ammo in stock.  I'm not saying I would never use it, but you might be wiser to try some other ammo.  I think they had some m80 by federal.  Also, 7.62 is loaded to lower pressure than normal .308.  Your post made it seem like you thought 7.62x51 would be hotter.  Now this tula might be weak overly so, I have no clue.  But I thought I'd make that distinction.  You might already know that though.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 3:42:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Not sure with Tula, but brown bear is a no go in my SOCOM 16. Even with a heavier hammer spring I have a lot of primer ignition issues.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 4:40:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Midway a has some better ammo in stock.  I'm not saying I would never use it, but you might be wiser to try some other ammo.  I think they had some m80 by federal.  Also, 7.62 is loaded to lower pressure than normal .308.  Your post made it seem like you thought 7.62x51 would be hotter.  Now this tula might be weak overly so, I have no clue.  But I thought I'd make that distinction.  You might already know that though.
View Quote

No, i knew 762 was lower pressure than 308,  but also was aware a lot of the combloc ammo is loaded low too,  so i was just spitballin' that their 308 ammo may be pressured down around 762 levels, which is what the rifle is made for

I got 2 boxes.   Also a box of brass pmc and a bit of xm80

Im gonna shoot em up and report back-- but will be mindful of squibs - the footage of the chick with the Garand is sobering

I found a couple places online to get xm80 for $300/500 so will do that soon -- does the lake city brass have swaged primer pockets like the 5.56 stuff?
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 9:47:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

No, i knew 762 was lower pressure than 308,  but also was aware a lot of the combloc ammo is loaded low too,  so i was just spitballin' that their 308 ammo may be pressured down around 762 levels, which is what the rifle is made for

Im gonna shoot em up and report back-- but will be mindful of squibs - the footage of the chick with the Garand is sobering

I found a couple places online to get xm80 for $300/500 so will do that soon -- does the lake city brass have swaged primer pockets like the 5.56 stuff?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It would be nice to know the downlow about what happened with that kaboom.  But it could be anything without knowing details.  Improper headspace, bad reloads, who know.  I don't think weak ammo would do that.  

But it does make you think twice sometimes.  I personally like to do like some people and just stick to well known, brand name ammo.  But there's no garruantee with that either.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 9:58:43 PM EDT
[#15]
I had a case head rupture on a round of it if a few weeks ago.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 10:46:28 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm not an ammo snob with almost all of my weapons.

But my M1As and M1 Garand will never see steel Ruskie stuff.

I save that for most pistols/most ARs.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top