Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2014 2:04:21 PM EDT
Any experience?  Saw some bad reviews online, but they were 2010 and earlier.  At least one decent You Tube review (2013).  Not sure if issues on those older reviews ahve been fixed.

I have 2 originial WWII carbines that I used love to shoot, but am relegating them to special occasions as they seem to be quite valuable (per opinions on the CMP forum).

I'd like a "shooter" but didn't want to mess with hunting around for one and then trying to find a used mixmaster that will work (plus I like buying new), so I was excicted about the Auto-Ordnance.  Any opinions/reviews form folks who own them??  I also like they have the flip sights etc. so they seem to be more "correct" to the ones I already have and was used to shooting.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 4:21:40 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I have 2 originial WWII carbines that I used love to shoot, but am relegating them to special occasions as they seem to be quite valuable (per opinions on the CMP forum).
I'd like a "shooter" but didn't want to mess with hunting around for one and then trying to find a used mixmaster that will work (plus I like buying new), so I was excicted about the Auto-Ordnance.  Any opinions/reviews form folks who own them??  I also like they have the flip sights etc. so they seem to be more "correct" to the ones I already have and was used to shooting.
View Quote

I have a pristine 1943 NPM with a high wood stock and great barrel that I've owned for just under 40 yrs and shot less than a box through.  It too has become too valuable to shoot so in 2012 I went on a search for a 'shooter' with reasonable accuracy, in decent shape, and for something approaching a reasonable price that I could shoot without worrying about destroying a valuable piece of history.  That turned into a worthless exercise as anything in a reasonable condition was super expensive and anything at a reasonable price range was a piece of junk.
So, I turned to Auto Ordnance to see what they had to offer.  A shooting buddy had one he bought back in the mid 2000s and while it functions well and looks great, it patterns like a shotgun.  I called Auto Ordnance and asked about their quality control and was told that my friend needed to send his carbine in to have it looked at as no way should it shoot that poorly.  I was told that they had corrected the issues that plagued them early on.
Being the optimist, I contacted a couple of local gunshops and asked if anyone had actual experience with an Auto Ordnance carbine.  One said he had had two, an early version that shot poorly which he got rid of and a 2011 version that he found shot well and he kept. After some discussion and a close examination of his personal carbine, I decided to take the plunge and got one for myself.
In short, I couldn't be happier with it.  As the OP implied, their version comes configured as a WWII version with a flip sight and no bayonet lug, however, it does come with a late model, M2 mag catch which allows you to use 30 rd mags reliably.  Mine was mfg in Feb. 2012 and came out of the box ready to shoot so after just a quick cleaning and swab down the bore, I loaded up some 15rd and 30rd mags I got from AIM Surplus and headed to the range.
I was pleasantly surprised that it shot both magazine types without a single hiccup as well as flawlessly feeding my 110grn ball, 110grn plated, and 110grn Speer soft point handloads with equal ease.  Accuracy was decent, however, the flip rear sight isn't my cup of tea so when I got home I ordered a Type II adjustable rear sight (same as is on my NPM) and installed it with ease.  
Back at the range and with the improved sight and my son shooting (younger, better eyes and better shooter than I am) the AO produced a remarkable 2½" group at 100yds.  That's considerably better than a brand new GI carbine.  Best of all, I've now got a shooter that I don't feel a bit of grief shooting to my heart's content.  In fact, it's now my 'new shooter first center fire' rifle for any new shooter I take out.  That, and the ladies all love to shoot it as it fits their small stature but still feels like a real rifle and not just a 22.
I'd buy another in a heartbeat, however, I do note that they have gone up in price since I got mine, even through Bud's Gunz.  Recently, I noted that a new company calling itself MKS Supply has announce newly manufactured Inland Arms M1 Carbines in 3 different variations.  This is not the Inland Arms that was a division of GM during the war but rather a new company.  I don't have a clue about these new guys though.

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 5:27:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I have fired one, and it is very accurate.
The wood has incredible grain to it, and is sanded smooth, and the wood to metal fit, is better than most GI models.
My problem was, I only had two mags with me; the 15 rounder, that came with it, and one of the new 30rd Korean models, and I could not get it to feed the first round when I inserted a mag. on an open or closed bolt.
The only way it worked, is if I hand chambered the first round, then inserted the mag.
I only got to the range once with it, so I didn't get to get back and try again with different magazines, to see if I wasn't inserting them far enough or what the hang up was.
When I got home, I tried both mags, with the AZOOM, dummies, and it chambered them fine, from the mags.
More time at the range would be needed, to find out if it's the mags., gun, or human error on my part.

Overall though, I really liked the rifle.  The accuracy surprised me, but I do think it does need the later elevation adjustable sight to be useful at longer ranges.
All I tried was Aguila, and the PPU stuff.  It fed the SP PPU fine.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 10:05:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies!

That MKS/Inland looks nice but no price listed.  Sounds like available jan 2015..

Anyone else try them??
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 10:27:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I also have one circa 2010:  shoot great (within accuracy expectations) and has never failed to feed regardless of ammo used (including steel case and my own reloads).  Good product for the money IMO.  I carry it as a 'ranch gun' around here ............
Just my .02 tonight.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 10:54:59 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thanks for the replies!
That MKS/Inland looks nice but no price listed.  Sounds like available jan 2015..
Anyone else try them??
View Quote

After I posted my reply above, I got curious so I called MKS and asked about the release date.  They said that they will start receiving them in mid December so you take that with a grain of salt and say early next year.  No idea of the actual selling price but they are listed for $1,049 and $1,179 for the paratrooper.  I asked it the actions were cast or forged and they are cast as I expected as are other parts.  

All three come with the Type II adjustable rear sight and a reproduction web sling and oiler as pictured on their website, something I added to my Auto Ordnance for $25 and $10 respectively. That means that if you want the 1944 model (the one without the bayonet lug for an authentic WWII look), you'll have to replace the Type II rear sight with the Type I flip sight used during the war.

Reproductions are available and easily swapped out.  I don't know if they'll come with the M2 mag catch but they should so you can use 30 rd mags. Remember, even though they say Inland, these are not produced by the original manufacturers, but rather a new company that bought the rights to the Inland name.

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 9:55:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I didn't even think about it, but what magazine catch, do the AO carbines come with?
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 5:59:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I didn't even think about it, but what magazine catch, do the AO carbines come with?
View Quote

The M2 version so you're GTG with 30 rd mags.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top