Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2014 11:11:32 PM EDT
I've been told I need to change out the extractor in my M1A SOCOM for a USGI (as well as the spring).  Where would be a good place to get these parts?
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 1:18:14 AM EDT
[#1]
You do NOT have to change out the extractor for a USGI extractor. This is a common M14 A-hole "expert" piece of advice.
You should have another extractor and spring w/detent on hand for when you need it. This goes for USGI parts or aftermarket parts. The extractor is the most likely part to break in the M1/M14 design.
Again, do NOT change it if it still is working; but, have a replacement on hand.
Parts such as this show up on the Equipment Exchange from time to time. Also, odcmp.com has them for sale in their ESales section.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 8:05:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 8:53:33 PM EDT
[#3]
They pop up on the EE all the time. There are other websites that sell them too, but you'll generally get a better deal off the EE or even the M14forum PX.

I guess I'm also one of those "A-hole" M14 guys that likes GI parts.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 11:34:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They pop up on the EE all the time. There are other websites that sell them too, but you'll generally get a better deal off the EE or even the M14forum PX.

I guess I'm also one of those "A-hole" M14 guys that likes GI parts.
View Quote

me too!   There was a time when there were a lot of guys on the web wondering why their rifle ejected their bolt parts.  I think the new ones from SAInc. don't have this issue any more.  
No offense to AO guy.   I do believe this was a period of time some years ago with cast aftermarket extractors and even long shanked usgi ones.

That said, if you don't have any issues, then by all means leave things alone.  No sense in fixing what ain't broke.  A modest spares box is always a good idea though.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 6:23:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Extractors them selves in SAI's M1A's are not prone to breaking, just in M1A's that were built in the last 20 years. Older SAI M1A'S were built with USGI parts,not so anymore. The extractors are commercial made and are prone to breaking, its a well known issue. USGI M14 extractors are not prone to breaking and will last a lifetime. IMO I would change it
http://www.treelinem14.com/Bolts-and-Bolt-Parts_c10.htm
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 7:38:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 8:31:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I have had great dealings with Claude at RAparts.com
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 9:07:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't know how the prices compare, but http://www.treelinem14.com/main.sc has a good selection of USGI parts.

I've used them numerous times and have never been disappointed.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 2:52:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Even USGI extractors do not last forever (i've had three break over the years). Consider them like tires on your car. USGI will last a long time before needing replacement (like high cost tires). Commercial will probably not last as long (cheap tires).  Who is going to replace cheap tires that they already own for really good new tires? Drive them until they need replacement and have new ones of your favorite kind available for backup.
As of this minute, there are two USGI extractors and detented springs on EE for $20 each shipped. There are also (on www.odcmp.com) USGI refinished extractors for $12 and springs for $5 plus shipping. The part numbers are: PS15APW and PS1617APW. For about $20, buy either and swap it into your rifle or wrap it up and put it into the rifle butt storage cavity until needed. Either way, use one and keep the other until needed. Another handy item to have on hand is an empty .30-06 case. This holds the bolt about a half inch from locking in the receiver while you replace the extractor while holding the ejector in place.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 3:13:23 PM EDT
[#10]
A buddy from work had the spring break in his and the extracor fell out. He lost the plunger. I ordered one from treeline.com(?) It was a USGI replacement and was pretty cheap.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top