Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2014 1:52:57 AM EDT
is there any gunsmiths near south bend,Indiana that can instill or fix m1 grands the one near my house says he does't have the tools to do it. and if possible can u still me the prices for instilling a barrel or any ext
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:59:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Do yourself a favor and do it your self.

Lots of youtube vid on Garands and what ever you spend on tools will be less than the cost of the smith.

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:40:54 AM EDT
[#2]
What kind of barrel? A chromelined barrel? You can't mess with a chromelined barrel. You'll need to check headspace for sure to verify everything is good to go.

I think every post here I say this, and I think I'm starting to become a unofficial spokesperson for this company, but call up fulton armory and have them ship you a box so you can mail your garand to them. It will be pricey since they'll do a technical inspection and they'll likely rarely call you up to explain things but they do a great job on their own.

Other smiths you can call are like Shuff who might have better communication than Fulton would. I have heard a lot of great things about him. Check out this page: http://shuffsparkerizing.com/services/m1-garand/ he can replace the barrel for 75 bucks if you provide it to him.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:51:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
is there any gunsmiths near south bend,Indiana that can instill or fix m1 grands the one near my house says he does't have the tools to do it. and if possible can u still me the prices for instilling a barrel or any ext
View Quote

Did you end up buying that Armslist Garand?
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 2:34:18 PM EDT
[#4]
CMP custom shop can do it.

http://www.thecmp.org/Sales/customshop.htm
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:31:10 AM EDT
[#5]
If you never plan on rebarreling another Garand its much cheaper to pay someone else to doit than buy your own tools

I highly recommend Shuffs
Shuffs
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:24:51 PM EDT
[#6]
yes i did end up with the armslist m1 and i got it looked over and the only thing is wrong is a barrel with a gauge of 4 or 5 i cant remember.And the guy that looked it over it said i was luck that the only thing is wrong is the barrel
and i looked up some of the numbers and from what i found is the trigger is from the 60s i think but everything else is from the 40s
the barrel is from 44 and i would like to get a barrel form the same year but if not its whatever

also i have been looking around and the gunsmiths that are around me dont fix up m1 but mosins which is a mind fuck
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:59:59 PM EDT
[#7]
You'll be WAY better off sending it to the CMP custom shop and having them install a NEW Criterion barrel.  The gun is a mixmaster and there is no reason to go to the extra expense of finding a low ME/TE date correct barrel.  Not only would it take a while, but it will be way more expensive.  Also, do yourself a favor and go shoot it first.  I have had 5 gauged barrels that shoot great, though that is the exception.  If you were in Oklahoma, I would help you rebarrel it yourself.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:01:28 PM EDT
[#8]
also my friends wants to see if there is a way to make the m1 take box mags that are in 30-06?
i have found 1 that take bar mags but instead of BAR mags something more modern that would be more easier to find and still keep the 30-06 ammo?

plus does any body know about these guys
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:09:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Your link is broke, so I have no idea who you are asking about.  The answer to the box mags is no.  You could build a BM59, but will cost a bunch to have the receiver modded and would ruin any value.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:49:12 PM EDT
[#10]
ok copy paste this http://www.sageinternationalltd.com/SIL/M1GALCS-CVFS.html  its the link from the address bar
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:02:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes Sage is very well regarded in M1A circles, but I doubt your going to get a bunch of people to agree that you should stick a Garand in a Sage chassis.  I think you should have gone the M1A route to begin with.  The Garand is a WWII service rifle.  It is a classic rifle that has no business in a metal chassis or being converted to take box mags.  It's your money and your gun, so you can do whatever you like.  SMH
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:31:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
ok copy paste this http://www.sageinternationalltd.com/SIL/M1GALCS-CVFS.html  its the link from the address bar
View Quote

Dude...

No.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:54:23 AM EDT
[#13]
it was an idea my friends showed me i was thinking of going with Shuff and turn it in to a mini-g and ask him if can instill one of these rails http://www.amegaranges.com/product_pages/m1garand.php with 1'inch gap so i can still use the iron sights and the scope
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 9:39:03 PM EDT
[#14]
i got the barrel look at and took a a gauge and the barrel is fine on the gauged part
but he found that i guess when they made the barrel the drilled inside the muzzle about half an inch from the top i forgot what its called
but the gunsmith near me said that it can be good or bad if it shots way the fuck off reguardless of how i shot then the barrel is bad
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 9:59:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
i got the barrel look at and took a a gauge and the barrel is fine on the gauged part
but he found that i guess when they made the barrel the drilled inside the muzzle about half an inch from the top i forgot what its called counterboredbut the gunsmith near me said that it can be good or bad if it shots way the fuck off reguardless of how i shot then the barrel is bad
View Quote

trying to help,
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 11:08:56 PM EDT
[#16]
yea i know you are and ever one else and i thank them for it and im not going to go with the sage stock or anything tactical on it all im putting on it is a rail the replaces the handguard thats in from of the receiver so i can put a long or scout scpoe on it and thats it
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top