Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/28/2014 11:33:49 AM EDT
I've made the decision that I would like to have a semi automatic .308/7.62x51 rifle, and due to their accuracy and other issues with FAL and G3 platforms, I'm planning on purchasing an M1A variant of some sort. The Archangel stock, Sage EBR chassis and VLTOR stocks all sound like they would be nice additions or starting points for a build, but I don't know whether they are worth the money, which would be the best out of the three or if there is another choice that I have forgotten to mention, and whether I should look into a barreled action and stock set, or if I should start with a complete rifle and then add the stock later on. Any feedback from anybody who has experience with the M1A/M14 platform or with any of these stock sets would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 3:29:46 PM EDT
[#1]
My DMR/SASS is a Crazy Horse M21A5 custom built for me by Smith Enterprise on a forged Poly Tech receiver that I supplied. I prefer the SAGE EBR for this type of build because it is battle proven (TACOM M14EBR-RI), and it is consistently accurate. The Crazy Horse includes a fancy medium heavy barrel, but the M14EBR-RI uses a chrome lined standard profile USGI barrel... both deliver sub-MOA performance from the SAGE EBR chassis stock with LC M118 LR.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:29:01 PM EDT
[#2]
If you don't mind me asking, roughly how much did the Sage EBR build cost?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:39:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you don't mind me asking, roughly how much did the Sage EBR build cost?
View Quote

This particular EBR build started late in 2004, and I didn't finish it until last fall, so it's hard to
say what I spent on it, but I value it near $6K without glass. At today's prices, you can expect to
spend about $2K+ on the rifle, plus the EBR stock, plus the scope & rings, plus accessories.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:17:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Go with an EBR, and put either an M1A Standard or Loaded in it if budget is somewhat of a concern. Buy the complete rifle, sell the factory stock, and then buy an EBR from here in whatever color you like. Be careful when buying glass, as semi auto 308s have a reputation for destroying optics. If you're on a budget, either a fixed 6x or 10x from SWFA (preferably in the mil/mil flavor) will serve you well. Vortex also makes some rugged optics, and you can find fixed power USOs for a decent deal too. Be warned that even on a budget, this will easily be a $3k+ endeavor, so plan accordingly.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 1:34:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey a loaded Springfield, buy the chassis. It is a fantastic platform albeit a bit heavy.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 11:37:00 AM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Hey a loaded Springfield, buy the chassis. It is a fantastic platform albeit a bit heavy.
View Quote
This is exactly what I had. The rifle was VERY heavy for range use and was so accurate it wasn't fun. I kind of miss that setup though.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top